My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions that the parts dept. can't help with.

I was doing maint. yesterday and noticed two problems. This is on a 2018 X739. I was changing my air filter, fuel filter and the trans/hydraulic oil 50 hr. change.

All these things went smoothly I thought until I noticed a rubber o-ring on the concrete on the opposite side from the front transmission fill plug. I do not know where the o-ring came from. I checked the top vent plug by that tire, it didn't go there. I did not check the bottom drain plug, as that plug had a flat alum. washer on that drain plug..... mind you nothing is leaking anywhere.....and I'm trying to avoid draining the new trans. fluid.

So I gave up on that tire and turned my attention to the air filter up above. I cannot see exactly where this o-ring may have fit on this cover, if it does, but the o-ring is broken in one spot. I also noticed for the first time on top of this cover there are 4 smaller holes around the center wing nut. Looking at the parts list at JD, there appears there is supposed to be a washer here, part #M147404.......it has been replaced by part #MIA-10937.....which the dealer said the washer isn't sold separately any more and this part includes the entire cover for $29. They had none in stock so he couldn't pull it to answer any questions......which means no help for me.....so I turned here for help.

Please check the attached pics......and answer any questions you can. Are the 4 holes around the center wing nut supposed to be covered by a washer? Once this cover is tightened, these 4 holes are partially uncovered and there are 4 other matching holes in the top of the air filter metal cover where the air filter screws down, these 4 holes go directly into the carb. Like my setup is now, the carb can suck some air directly through here, bypassing the filter itself straight into the carb. This doesn't sound right, but I've never owned an EFI mower before. Is this correct or are these 4 holes supposed to be covered?

Also, does anyone see this 0-ring as part of their air cleaner cover? That air cover center wing nut snaps on and off, does that o-ring go underneath that wingnut? I'm still trying to figure out where it came from during the maint. I just performed......it's a mystery at this point?

I sure hope someone can help....it's starting to drive me a little nuts! :)

Thanks, Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Check the dipstick for the trans. I don't recall an o-ring, but it could possibly be for that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that one......the O-ring is there. :(

Do you have an air filter cover like mine and concerning those 4 holes?

·
Registered
765 Posts
The four holes are not going into the filter/EFI. I thought the same thing when I first bought my x485. They should not be covered.
O ring is not for air cleaner.

Maybe during assembly the o ring was dropped and not found, lots of o rings in this tractor. Did you have parts try and match it up to get a P/N?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back and checked mine to be sure.......mine must be different.......if air or water goes into these holes it can go straight into the carb. The metal rim of my air filter has approx. five 1/4" holes in it.......which do go straight in.

So if I'm washing the mower.....water can go in, accumulate on top of the rim for the air filter until it drips into the carb. dusty air can go in too.

Is your air filter rim different? solid?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm leaning towards blocking these holes if no one can tell me a reason why this is open?

I sent an email into my local dealer/service dept.......... no reply yet......I'll post what they say if they do reply.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Look closer at the holes. Many believe that dirty air can enter the intake but their looking at it wrong. Search around I remember seeing a few threads about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,483 Posts
FWIW, the holes are there on my 2010 x728.

Considering your x739 does not have a carb - I'd say you are almost certainly safe from anything infiltrating those holes and getting into your carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did search and found this thread https://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1326331-question-x585-air-filter.html

sounds like all may be correct, I still have to go out and look again. But they refer to the rubber seal under the air filter that seals off these holes and prevent anything from actually entering the engine.

I know this is EFI.....but I'm old school and still refer to it as the carb :)

Thanks for everyone's help.....I think this may solve my air filter questions.........now if I could figure out where that *** O-ring came from :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
There is o-ring like that on the hex fill hole plug on right side of front axle if I remember correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
I went back and checked mine to be sure.......mine must be different.......if air or water goes into these holes it can go straight into the carb. The metal rim of my air filter has approx. five 1/4" holes in it.......which do go straight in.

So if I'm washing the mower.....water can go in, accumulate on top of the rim for the air filter until it drips into the carb. dusty air can go in too.

Is your air filter rim different? solid?

Take the filter cover off and note the small inner seal that seals to the bottom of the filter cover, the holes lead to this raised center that is sealed from the air filter. I thought the same thing when I first got my x485

There is o-ring like that on the hex fill hole plug on right side of front axle if I remember correctly.
You are correct, fuel injectors also have o rings and most of the hydraulic lines. I'll bet it was dropped in at the factory by mistake.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'll bet it was dropped in at the factory by mistake.
I was thinking the OP lost it when doing 50 hour transaxle service from filler plug "E" above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is a little difficult to tell from your pictures. That particular ring appears to be one of the two o rings on the front steering rods (that extend and retract from the steering cylinder) of the tractor. You'll see an O ring on each of the rods just above the front axle. It is essentially a cylinder of sorts that controls your power steering. There should be one on each side. The mystery may just be that it wasn't actually related to your 50-hour service at all. Just a coincidental timing for that o ring to break.

If you are not sure what I am referring let me know. I will get you some pictures this weekend. I do not feel like these o rings provide much value either. When the wheel is turned hard, either way, the ring stays on the wheel end of the piston and doesn't protect against grit except for the side that is fully retracted.

Hopefully, that is it.

Cheers

·
Registered
765 Posts
It is a little difficult to tell from your pictures. That particular ring appears to be one of the two o rings on the front steering rods (that extend and retract from the steering cylinder) of the tractor. You'll see an O ring on each of the rods just above the front axle. It is essentially a cylinder of sorts that controls your power steering. There should be one on each side. The mystery may just be that it wasn't actually related to your 50-hour service at all. Just a coincidental timing for that o ring to break.

If you are not sure what I am referring let me know. I will get you some pictures this weekend. I do not feel like these o rings provide much value either. When the wheel is turned hard, either way, the ring stays on the wheel end of the piston and doesn't protect against grit except for the side that is fully retracted.

Hopefully, that is it.

Cheers
I'd like to see pictures! I have an x485 AWS, so curious about these o rings.

I know on JD loaders the cylinder rods will have "paint rings" on the cylinder rods to prevent paint "creep" into the cylinder seals. They are supposed to be removed during loader installation by the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like to see pictures! I have an x485 AWS, so curious about these o rings.

I know on JD loaders the cylinder rods will have "paint rings" on the cylinder rods to prevent paint "creep" into the cylinder seals. They are supposed to be removed during loader installation by the dealer.
This very well could be exactly what you are calling a paint stop. Here is a few pictures of what I am referring to. I did look at several other tractors and none of them have been removed. I moved the ring to improve visibility.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
I do think it's to keep paint from seeping/creeping down the shaft when the cylinder was painted.
My x485 does not have one, but it could have been removed at set up. I bought it used, so no idea if it had one or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts