My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have an x590 that I really like but I'm looking to upgrade due to some of the great upgrades you get with a JD X739, Simplicity Legacy XL33 and Kubota Garden Tractors (2301/2601). I have about 4 acres of property. About 1 acre has grass that I mow every week from spring to fall and the rest of it is very heavy in trees and I do a lot of clean up and try to keep the place up. The property is very hilly and the soil is mostly clay so it stays pretty soft. The x590 has a great motor with plenty of power and the transmission is plenty for my needs however I don't like that it has a belt for the tranny, it's only 2WD with dif engaged and it's kind of a pain to remove the deck which I would like to be able to remove more frequently given all the debris I have to drive around and over when clearing the wooded areas. Of course it does not have hydraulics or the capability for any loader attachments or anything like that.

I started seriously considering the JD x739 because of a few things: 4WD (hydraulic front wheel drive which is awesome), shaft drive instead of belt drive, drive over deck and quick connect, hydraulic capability (although no loader is sold for them), four wheel steer (I have some tight spaces that this would be great on) and they just seem to be built well and I would actually prefer gas vs. diesel just because I think it would be a little quieter and I have more knowledge on gas motors than diesel. But I know a diesel is probably a better investment and overall would perform just as well and probably better than gas so I'm not opposed.

I was ready to sign away several pay checks for the expensive JD but my dealer sales guy is making me feel like they'd rather have me go with a 1023/1025 and a sub compact is going to be too heavy with a big turn radius and taller and I don't think it would be a good fit for my property. Plus he's pulled a couple of shady things and I don't feel like I'm getting a good deal. It's like they're trying to turn you away from the x7 series because they're pushing the 1 series so hard.

I started looking at other garden tractor options that have similar upgrades to the x739 and I was wondering if anyone had any other options that I have not come across and I'd love to hear input on some of these machines if there are owners out there.

The more I think about it, the more I think I could use a loader around the house. I think it would be really cool to have a loader and a tractor that had a real hydraulic system so that's where the Simplicity and Kubotas have my attention. For the money they want you to spend, it's a hard pill to swallow to spend $14,000+ on a x739 with mower (equipped with auto connect) and then spend another $2,500 on something like a Johnny Bucket Jr. that doesn't perform like a real loader in order to spread mulch and do misc. tasks. And then of course spend hundreds more on the little things. I'm very interested in the Simplicity because I've read that they mow really well, they have very easy to install/remove loaders and mowers and I've got a dealer that I'm going to visit next week about 45 miles away so hopefully I would be able to have support local if I went with one. I don't know much about the Kubota tractors but I know a lot of people opt for them and they're about the same price range with about the same attachments and stuff so I'm interested. I'm sure there's a local dealer too.

I'd love to have a yard full of shiny green JD's but honestly the dealer makes me feel like I'm wasting their time and they just want to deal with real farmers or something. Like if I'm not there to spend $100k I just need to leave. They rubbed me the wrong way and maybe it's for the best because although the hydraulic front drive on the awd and the aws would be really nice, I don't get the capability of the other machines and I want to look around. If the X739 was $15-$20k and I could get a front loader I'd be more interested. I'm not interested in an older machine that would have a loader because they usually have some pretty good wear and tear on them and it's hard to find one anyway. My dealer quoted me HDAPs on the X739 for about $550 and it comes standard. He also quoted their 4 year/700 hr warranty for $1,200... which again... comes standard. I'm not very confident in them.

I'd love to know if there are other garden tractors that I haven't found yet with about the same advantages. Looking forward to hearing all your feedback. Just looking for input on the X739, XL33 and 2301/2601's and also if there are some other options I have not found yet.

P.S. I'm trying to sell my x590 and the JD dealer quoted be $3,000. The thing is really clean, 2018 with 110 hrs, 48" accel deck, brush guard, hitch with 2" ball and pin and mulch control. I was a little upset about that so if any of you have a good idea on a good network to sell the beloved x590 I'm all ears. JD doesn't want it apparently.

Premium Member
Are you talking about the B2301 & B2601 from Kubota? They are CUTs, not Garden tractors. They are larger and heavier than even the JD 1023/1025 SCUT models. In looking at Kubota's web site and tractordata, it looks like 2018 was the last year that Kubota even made a GT, and those were the T1880, T2080 and T2380.

Between the JD X739 and the Simplicity Legacy XL, the Simplicity is more capable overall in that it has a loader and a backhoe available as well as a removable ROPS.

For the size of your property and what you say about the negatives of the X739, I would recommend the Simplicity XL 33 4WD at the least, or step up to a SCUT like the JD 1023E or Kubota BX2380. As I said, the Kubota B2301/B2601 models are true CUT's not SCUT's and are larger and heavier than the JD 1 series or the Kubota BX series, but they actually have a slightly tighter turning radius (6.9 feet for the Kubota B series vs. 7.45 feet for the BX and 7.4 feet for the JD 1023E).

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
OK I'm glad you cleared that up about the Kubota. I looked at the specs on the BX series and right off the bat I think it will be too large and heavy for my needs. It outweighs the JD and XL33 by about 500 lbs standard.That's why I am staying away from the 1023e. I'd love to have that machine but for the mowing I do and the layout of my property, I don't think it would be a good choice.

I made a list of comparisons between some of the specs between the JD X739 and the Simplicity XL33

Best Price: is the XL33 with the tractor itself starting out at $12,300 with JD at $14,000 (list prices).
Engine HP: The XL33 is higher with 33HP vs. JD being 25.5HP.
Best Warranty: JD has the 4 year 700 hr warranty BUT XL33 has a 3 year (no hr expiration) and the deck is lifetime. So, this is kind of a draw in my opinion since I think I'll put about 100-150 hrs per year on the machine.
Best Tires: JD has the HDAPs which I've never heard a bad thing about. I'm sure the XL's are good too but JD probably wins this one.
Best Attachments: XL33 has just as many attachments as the JD plus it can equip a loader (with quick detach).
Best Trans: XL33 has a K92 vs. JD which has a K90.
Best Turning: Obviously the JD wins this one with the aws and awd. It's hands down the biggest plus in my mind on the JD x739.
Shortest Length: JD with 75in vs. the XL33 with 81in.
Most Narrow: XL33 with 45in vs. the JD with 48in.
Shortest Height: XL33 with 51in vs. the JD with 51.2 in.
Weight: I think these are about the same at about 1,000 to 1,100 lbs without the deck or attachments.
Fuel Capacity: The XL33 has a 6 gallon tank and the JD has a 5.2 gallon tank.

Of course these are just specs on paper but it's a good place to start before I factor in availability, and the dealer relationship.

If you add the points, the XL33 has 7 points, the JDX739 has 3 points and there are 2 draws being the warranty and weight.

At this point I'm really leaning towards the Legacy XL33 and I'm going to go see the dealer next week as soon as I can. I have a dealer about 50 miles from the house that sells Simplicity so hopefully they can deal with me.

I've been given suggestions to check out the older JD x72x and x74x series tractors because the frames were built to handle loaders but I really don't like going with an older machine because I am not sure how it has been taken care of throughout it's life plus they don't have the convenience of the new machines with the quick install/detach features, newer ingenuity, warranties, etc. Also, I would have to buy online more than likely out of state and then pay a freight company and all that good stuff. I've done it before but it's not preferable compared to buying new in my opinion especially with the other points.

I'll update when I speak with the dealers next week. I am going to be talking with a couple other shops for JD next week and dump my old salesman.

Premium Member
My advice is to test drive both models. Some folks can never get accustomed to the 4 wheel steering, and other ergonomics may come in to play depending on your natural preferences on things. Also, if you think you're going to get the loader, it's best to get it when you buy the tractor as the package deal generally has a better discount. I'm not sure about Simplicity, but with JD and Kubota all attachments come with the longer warranty that the tractor comes with when you buy them as a bundle vs. a 1 year warranty on most attachments when yu buy them later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Went to a new dealer today with no luck. Their yard was full of green tractors but the only Simplicity they had were zero turn models. It appears the garden tractor market is dying. The dealer was friendly enough but the closest Simplicity Legacy was in Oklahoma probably 100 miles or better away. I didn't even ask about a x7 series since I was sure it was going to be about the same. The dealer talked a little bit about the 1 series but all I heard was ($9,000) starting out... huh?

He was sucking me into the 1 series. I'm waiting until spring to see if anything turns up. I'm enjoying my current green machine until then. I'd be all over that 1 series if I thought it would be a good fit for my place. I think I'm even pushing it with a 1,000 lb machine though so the 1 series at 1,500 without a deck is pretty devastating when it comes to a soggy clay turf fescue lawn. But... I'm gonna read about the 1 series a little more... just to read...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts