My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a slightly used X739 tomorrow and I was informed that something was busted and asked for a couple pictures, this is what I got.

Any experts out there able to help identify?

Part name/#
its function
what if any further damage could be caused by it etc.

Looks like its at the control valve....not sure if that's proper name for it, but basically where you connect your attachments to tractor.

Hand Crankset Hood Automotive tire Finger

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bottle Automotive wheel system

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
I am not certain, but that may be the assembly for the “float” feature in the hydraulic lift circuit. Could be that the float detente was stiff or not working properly, and he took it apart to try to loosen it up. Usually there is a small steel ball that is there with the spring but I don’t see it in the photo.

Anyway, that’s my best guess. Someone more familiar may come along with a better explanation.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
That is the detent/float feature for the up/down circuit for the QH (for a plow/snowblower/grapple).

It looks like they changed the valve since my X749. The detent feature on mine went bad. It was had to push and then I noticed the cover was cracked. On the valves in my era there are two screws that hold the cover on. The kit to fix it is in the $200-300 range, but it was pretty simple. It is possible to damage the valve by using it without the detent, probably causes damage to the seals (which are not replaceable).

It looks like the redesigned valve doesn't make it easier nor is it cheaper. The repair kit doesn't appear to include all the parts you might need and it is about $200 more expensive. In my case there was just an end cap at $150 or so and all the parts for about double, and a whole new valve for double or more again. I went with the detent kit. It was a good choice. The other parts (besides the cap) showed significant wear and needed to be replaced.

In your case I would count on needing to replace the valve. I would budget about $1K for that if you are doing the work. If you have to get the dealer to do it, it might be double that. This might be the reason the seller is selling, too much hassle. Used valves are sometimes available for less, but unknown as to how worn they are.

If you don't have a QH, you could probably leave it alone, but should find some way to keep the dirt out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems silly they only sell half of what you need to repair the detent if it were to be damaged or lost, looks like the whole valve is $850ish, got a quote from somewhere for $768 but almost no one seems to have it in stock.

I don't need to have a quick hitch on it until winter/next spring so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try to find a new valve, just because the price on the mower is fair.

I'll ask him what happened, maybe it cracked and maybe they will replace it under warranty, I doubt it, but I haven't used JD warranty ever so no idea how friendly they are.

That is the detent/float feature for the up/down circuit for the QH (for a plow/snowblower/grapple).

It looks like they changed the valve since my X749. The detent feature on mine went bad. It was had to push and then I noticed the cover was cracked. On the valves in my era there are two screws that hold the cover on. The kit to fix it is in the $200-300 range, but it was pretty simple. It is possible to damage the valve by using it without the detent, probably causes damage to the seals (which are not replaceable).

It looks like the redesigned valve doesn't make it easier nor is it cheaper. The repair kit doesn't appear to include all the parts you might need and it is about $200 more expensive. In my case there was just an end cap at $150 or so and all the parts for about double, and a whole new valve for double or more again. I went with the detent kit. It was a good choice. The other parts (besides the cap) showed significant wear and needed to be replaced.

In your case I would count on needing to replace the valve. I would budget about $1K for that if you are doing the work. If you have to get the dealer to do it, it might be double that. This might be the reason the seller is selling, too much hassle. Used valves are sometimes available for less, but unknown as to how worn they are.

If you don't have a QH, you could probably leave it alone, but should find some way to keep the dirt out.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
It does seem silly, but it is expensive to keep spares of all the parts and to know how many of which ones to manufacturer and then to keep on hand. It is much easier/profitable to just do the expensive ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts