My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was mowing a large 5-6 acre field yesterday in moderate temperatures where the grass in places was 13-15” tall when maybe half done the deck just shut off by itself. I stopped and tried to re-engage the deck, but no go, checked the fuses, but they were all okay. I had noticed the tractor running hot so I checked the screens and they were all clear, but when I pulled the radiator screen, it was nearly covered with the fluffy stuff from the poplar trees. I thought it was going to be tough to clean, but gently tapped it against a tire and most of it came right off. Tapped it a couple more times and it was clear. I Restarted the engine and the temp gauge went down to mid scale. The deck then started back up and ran the rest of the time. First I’ve ever had that happen.

Anyone else have it?
Should the clutch adjustment be checked or is this one adjustable?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 1 series will shut down the PTO when the engine gets too hot, to prevent further overheating. I'm assuming on the X700s with the LC engines, its a similar story.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remember correctly, the 1 series will shut down the PTO when the engine gets too hot, to prevent further overheating. I'm assuming on the X700s with the LC engines, its a similar story.
Thanks. I was hoping the PTO clutch hadn’t gotten hot making it weaker along with the clutch needing adjustment. I didn’t think it should with only 175 hrs on it. I’ll check the radiator screen more often though for sure. The outside screens don’t stop that fine cotton stuff.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Verified with dealer tech and service mgr. the X7xx tractors do shut the deck off if the engine gets too hot. Got him to print off the schematic which shows the controller turns the deck on and off.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Also a good reminder for air cooled owners to keep the top of the engine clean; especially mowing deep grass on a windy day. Mine was almost completely covered the other day and I just happened to look back and see it.

I then took the air compressor to the top to clean out the fins along side the motor. Those get plugged your motor won't cool right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts