My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 John Deere X738 and wondered why there are 4 holes in the top of the air cleaner housing and 5 holes in the center of the air filter which allow outside unfiltered air to go directly to the air intake. I am concerned that this will allow contaminates into the engine and lead to premature engine failure.
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
As long as rubber seal is there that the center of the air filter sits down on , your good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand, but there is still by design a clear path for unfiltered outside air to enter the air intake of the engine through these holes. Isn't this a path for dirt to get into the engine?

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts

This is where the air goes, you’re good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Thought air when in the center - just for info what is the center hole for?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I had a strange sense of deja vu when I read this. So I searched and found this

I don't remember if I had that same feeling when I read that one or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I also looked closer at the center hole this morning and saw it went through to the top of the engine and assumed it was another avenue for heat to exit from the engine
Again thanks for the quick response.

·
Premium Member
1988 JD 332, 2002 JD X585, 1989 JD 756
1,062 Posts
Thanks, I also looked closer at the center hole this morning and saw it went through to the top of the engine and assumed it was another avenue for heat to exit from the engine
Again thanks for the quick response.
I thought this also until I looked closer and studied it a bit. Was relieved to find it didn't go into the intake!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe the holes are for drainage to keep water from collecting in the recess.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Maybe, but why do they have the recess in the first place?
And, how does the rain get in there with the hood on?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe, but why do they have the recess in the first place?
And, how does the rain get in there with the hood on?
They probably have the recess because that is the less costly way to do it. You either have the recess or have a filler below the cover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts