My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curry7500 requested some pictures of the mid to front pto kit for running a snowblower. I thought maybe some of our other members might be interested.

This is the mid pto location to which the mowing deck is attached

This is the front PTO shaft that is installed through the frame. It is double sided.

This is the mid to front driveshaft that connects the mid pto to the front pto

Images of the front pto shaft where the snowblower driveshaft attaches

Snowblower driveshaft

Front Quik Hitch

Hope these pictures are useful

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Those are great photos! I've never seen the mid-to-front pto components in any detail before. Thanks!

So, the m-t-f driveshaft comes off too, when the blower is not being used, or does it just stay there?

It seems like there will be a switch over at the end of mowing season, when the deck comes off, then the m-t-f driveshaft gets installed again. And reverse in the spring?

The front quick hitch stays on year round? Or would that come off too?

Is there anything else that the front pto can drive besides the snowblower?

Is there a hydraulics extension kit to reach the blower hydraulic lines?

Sorry about all the questions, this is the first time I'm seeing this equipment in close detail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are great photos! I've never seen the mid-to-front pto components in any detail before. Thanks!

So, the m-t-f driveshaft comes off too, when the blower is not being used, or does it just stay there?

It seems like there will be a switch over at the end of mowing season, when the deck comes off, then the m-t-f driveshaft gets installed again. And reverse in the spring?

The front quick hitch stays on year round? Or would that come off too?

Is there anything else that the front pto can drive besides the snowblower?

Is there a hydraulics extension kit to reach the blower hydraulic lines?

Sorry about all the questions, this is the first time I'm seeing this equipment in close detail.
Glad to help, I never saw much about it either until I bought the blower. I'll try and answer some of your questions.

The mid to front driveshaft comes off the same as your mower deck driveshaft. There is a lock collar on the end that you compress and it pulls right off. You have to take it off to run your mower deck or anything else that uses the regular mid PTO.

Yes, I will switch it over when mowing season is over and again in the spring. Taking it off was very easy, I dont see any problem putting it back on either. You have to take the front quick hitch off too because your front mower deck mount uses one of the holes that the quick hitch uses. You dont have to remove/install anything other than the hydraulic lines, driveshaft, and quick hitch.

I belive the front PTO also runs the front rotary broom that you can get. Not sure what else you could run, maybe some of the other members will chime in.

No hydraulic extension kit is required if you have the hydraulic coupler kit with the color coded caps already mounted, the blower hoses are long enough. I believe this is standard on the X720 and up.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,634 Posts
I'm interested in the double-ended splined piece that fits through the front axle housing. What is involved in putting it in there? I have seen the plugs in my axle where the piece fits. Do you have to press bearings in the axle housing for that little splined piece to run in, or are they already there?

Can you post a couple of pics from the side showing the front PTO shaft in place?

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
I'm interested in the double-ended splined piece that fits through the front axle housing. What is involved in putting it in there? I have seen the plugs in my axle where the piece fits. Do you have to press bearings in the axle housing for that little splined piece to run in, or are they already there?

Can you post a couple of pics from the side showing the front PTO shaft in place?
:ditto: , to KHodges post , I'm curiuos also ...

OHdeerefan , thanks for sharing the pictures with us and are you sure you can't have the MMM and Front Quick Hitch on at the same time , I thought you could on all Models in that Series ???

Later,x595

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'll post some additional pics later today. :trink40:

·
Diesel Power
1,601 Posts
OHdeerefan , thanks for sharing the pictures with us and are you sure you can't have the MMM and Front Quick Hitch on at the same time , I thought you could on all Models in that Series ???

Later,x595
If you have the x7xx quick hitch, you can mount the mower and the hitch at the same time. The quick hitch from the 425,445,455 will also fit the x7xx, but when using that one, you can't have the MMM attached. I kept the quick hitch from my 445 when I sold it, I have to remove the MMM to use it.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
If you have the x7xx quick hitch, you can mount the mower and the hitch at the same time. The quick hitch from the 425,445,455 will also fit the x7xx, but when using that one, you can't have the MMM attached. I kept the quick hitch from my 445 when I sold it, I have to remove the MMM to use it.
andyb , I understand what your saying , but in OHdeerefan's last picture his Front Quick Hitch looks to be of the new Series , so he should be able to have his Front Quick Hitch and MMM mounted at the same time ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
498 Posts
Andy is right with the new hitch you should be able to mount the hitch with the MMM attached. I have a X hitch and a 4XX hitch in the garage if anyone whats me to take pics of them.

·
Diesel Power
1,601 Posts
andyb , I understand what your saying , but in OHdeerefan's last picture his Front Quick Hitch looks to be of the new Series , so he should be able to have his Front Quick Hitch and MMM mounted at the same time ...

Later,x595
Seems like it would work with the quick hitch, but the driveshaft would have to be removed the run the MMM.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On 2wd there's a bracket the the pto shaft clicks into above the front axel. I can leave the hitch on mine and mount the mower, but i have to remove the PTO shaft. I only use the hitch for the snowthrower. So i just take it all off for summer. GregM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are the additional pics I promised.

Side View

View from the rear

View from front

Not sure if the bearings are under the caps or you have to install them, the dealer installed it when the blower came in.

With the quick hitch do you have to mount the mower first to have both on?

I couldnt swing the arm for the mower mount up past the quick hitch mount.

mower mount pin

Quick hitch mount pin

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Thanks for this thread! This will be very helpful when I order my Mid to Front PTO kit! :)

This needs to be stickied!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
This needs to be stickied!
I agree. Like I said earlier, this is the first time I've seen such detailed info about the mid-to-front PTO kit -- anywhere.

Thanks again for the great thread.

Another question: The "front" part of the pto kit (i.e., the double-sided spline) -- does it stay there permanently? It looks to be seated or pressed into that hollow shaft in the axle. Or????

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here are the additional pics I promised.

Side View

View from the rear

View from front

Not sure if the bearings are under the caps or you have to install them, the dealer installed it when the blower came in.

With the quick hitch do you have to mount the mower first to have both on?

I couldnt swing the arm for the mower mount up past the quick hitch mount.

mower mount pin

Quick hitch mount pin
Yes the mower has to be on first then you can mount the hitch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree. Like I said earlier, this is the first time I've seen such detailed info about the mid-to-front PTO kit -- anywhere.

Thanks again for the great thread.

Another question: The "front" part of the pto kit (i.e., the double-sided spline) -- does it stay there permanently? It looks to be seated or pressed into that hollow shaft in the axle. Or????
Yes, it seems like it is in there permanently, but it dosent interfere with anything, so I wouldnt see a need to remove it. I think the bearings keep it in there. I am going to periodically spray mine with some corrosion inhibitor to try and keep it rust free. I already have a couple rust spots starting on it.

You're welcome, I've learned plenty from everyone here :thThumbsU

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the mower has to be on first then you can mount the hitch.
Thanks for the info! I will probably leave mine off until winter because I'm removing my deck a lot to run my tiller.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.