My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery on my new x729 yesterday. It is, so far, an incredible machine.
I have put 4.5 hours on, catching up on my mowing.
It is immediately apparant that this is a lot more machine than the 425 I have been using the last 16 years. It just FEELS more substantial. The extra horsepower really is apparant hitting heavy grass.
There is a bit of a learning curve, having to manipulate the PTO switch to mow while backing to execute corners, but it is an easy adaptation.
The HDAP tires seem to work fine on turf, and no chugging making sharp all wheel steer turns.
The comfort seat is well worth the extra money.
This guy is really going to shine blowing snow, what with the increased power, 4wd, and wider blower. I live on an old South Dakota farmstead, and besides the large gravel driveway, I often need to open a couple hundred yards of drifted in gravel road to get out. No more getting stuck (I hope) and no more chains.
It was spendy, but JD seems to have gotten it right with this tractor.

·
Super Moderator
32,822 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! We are all very graphically oriented here so pictures of the new machine and any attachments for it are welcome! We live vicariously through others!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to learn to post pictures. Maybe Deere could add an uploading feature to the tractor? Sort of an i-Trac?
Nothing too interesting about a guy cutting grass, but blowing snow may be a better photo op.
I've told my neighbors that I will take credit for a snow free winter, after popping for this beast.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I'll have to learn to post pictures. Maybe Deere could add an uploading feature to the tractor? Sort of an i-Trac?
Nothing too interesting about a guy cutting grass, but blowing snow may be a better photo op.
I've told my neighbors that I will take credit for a snow free winter, after popping for this beast.
Congrats!! :trink39: That is great. You must be pretty pleased right about now.

No kidding about the "snow free winter". An AWD, AWS X729 with snow blower is pretty much your best insurance policy. If you'd popped for the heated cab, you could almost guarantee it!

By the way, which blower did you end up getting, the 47 or the 54? Most seem to get the 47, but it sounds like you could make a case for the 54 up there in the Dakotas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the 54. I had the 47 with the 425, and you by God better make that first cut in deep snow EXACTLY straight, in and out, or you're pickled. With no urban sidewalks, having the blower a bit wider than the tractor, with adequate power and traction, will make blowing fun.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Nice to see someone honestly admit that a newer Deere is more substantial than one of the older highly sought after machines and I completely agree as someone who owned a 425 and now a 748.

Congrats on the new beast! We need pix!!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
32,822 Posts
The old iron just keeps on working though so we'll see how many of the "New" tractors are still around in 20 more years or so! Hey, I think the x7xx series is great and if I could afford one I"m sure it'd be in my garage! I'm just waiting for you to set you sites on a CUT and sell yours in a couple of years Brett!!!!:trink40::praying:

·
6,553 Posts
LOL PA! I think you are going to be waiting a LOOOOOONG time! :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I bought the 54. I had the 47 with the 425, and you by God better make that first cut in deep snow EXACTLY straight, in and out, or you're pickled. With no urban sidewalks, having the blower a bit wider than the tractor, with adequate power and traction, will make blowing fun.
Wow, the 54! You'll be the envy of quite a few guys who are using the 47 on their SCUTs. The 54 is so recent that a lot of guys only had the option of the 47 or a huge 60-something.

Bet I'm not the only one who'll be interested to hear how that 54 runs on the X729. I think you're one of the first to give it a try, and you'll probably be one of the first to get snow, too. Photos!! :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
When I ordered the 47'' I talked this over with the dealer, he said take the 47''.

You won't need any chains with the 4wd, if you have the hdap's, you will also find out you won't need the traction lock button, we have never used it, snowblowing or tilling.

My wife did the snowblowing, all of it, and she never had a problem backing up.

But with the 54'' we'll have to see if you have enough power, you might have wanted to order the diesel.:00000061::D

Rob

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Had a good deal worked on a 729. Wife wont go with it, however we can afford the 534. How does 11,700 for the 729 sound including the 3pt hitch and mower deck? My dealer ordered it for another guy who backed out. Going to get the 534 instead. AWS is necessary for me with 50 trees to mow around on my 3 acres.

·
6,553 Posts
Paid 11,500 for my 748 with the Edge 62C That doesn't sound like a great deal to me. The 3PH is only $500 and change.

My dealer had a 728 on the show room floor brand new 2010 with a 60" 7 Iron for a grand less than the 748, so figure 10,500.00 with the expensive deck.. With a 62C or 54C it would have been close to a grand cheaper.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
Posting pictures>>CLICK HERE

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Congrats! You will love the new Deere.

BTW, have you learned how to post pictures yet? It has been over 24 hours now! :ROF

1 - 20 of 34 Posts