My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
16,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can one of you hydraulic gurus tell me what this is in the pic with arrow pointing to it. It has a rubber cap on it. It appears to me like it's some kind of relief valve.
I was using my tractor and loader today to spread so
dirt for my neighbor and when I went to put it away I let everything down to take pressure off the hydraulics with the engine off. I heard something gurgling in the back and looked back to find hydraulic fluid draining down on the floor. I started it back up and moved the hydraulics and it didn't happen but as son as I turned the engine off and lowered the 3PH fluid came out again. I took everything apart and this is where it was coming from.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
16,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a vent.

Check the oil level, is it high?
Thanks Mike. After putting the hydraulics through several cycles everything seems to be OK. You know how a little bit of oil on the floor looks like more than it is.
I changed the hydro fluid back last August and haven't had to add any and have never had this happen till today, but the dip stick reads full so maybe it was a little over full. Just strange it didn't show up before now.
I can tell it's a vent because when I let the 3PH down after shutting the engine off I can hear a little air coming out.

· Super Moderator
24,238 Posts
I'll bet that you changed the fluid with the loader off the tractor, right? And when you parked it and shut off the engine, the loader was installed and the bucket was flat on the floor, right?

Extended cylinders hold more fluid than retracted cylinders. A full indication in the reservoir with the loader off the tractor will result in overfull when the loader is reinstalled and the cylinders retracted.

If the 3PH is a one way cylinder, it's full of fluid when the hitch is raised. When it is lowered, all of that fluid is added to the reservoir with no corresponding fill for the rod end as with the loader cylinders.

Add a little heat from normal workload to expand the fluid and it has to go somewhere. Out the vent and onto the floor just happens to be the handiest place. :banghead3

Next time, leave it a quart light, install the loader, retract all of the cylinders, and lower the 3PH. THEN, check the fluid level and add as required. :fing32:

· Super Moderator
16,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob, for some reason I just saw your response. Makes sense. I just changed hydraulic fluid again this past week with the loader off. I then put the loader on to move things and put stuff away for the winter and the same thing happened, only not as much came out. I'll have to remember to leave it a little low next then put the loader on and check it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.