My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I Deere Ya
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 54" 2-stager and I understand I've got some options for rear weight counter balance. I'm leaning towards purchasing the bracket and 4 suit case weights but don't want to be hasty here. Does anyone have a preference? Wheel weights or Suit Case weights? Pros/Cons?

Thanks very much...
Jim

·
Registered
615 Posts
They both would get the job done that you need. How steep is you driveway? If its particulary steep you may need both, or look into loading the rear tires with rim guard or another product. I would check your operators manual and see what they suggest for max rear ballast.

·
I Deere Ya
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Deerman. My driveway is relatively flat. Does that Rimguard product work well? I guess the only downside with that is the tractor will be heavier all year round.

Thanks again...
Jim

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
When the weight is in the wheels, be it filled tires or wheel weight, the load is not being carried by the bearings in the rear end like a suitcase weight on the rear end. :greendr:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Rim guard does work well from what ive heard. I personally on my 445 have two sets of tires. One set of turfs for the mowing season. Then a set of ag bar tires filled with beet juice that I had my JD dealer fill. Ive kinda shied away from tire chains as there leave ugly marks on my drive way when im trying to push into snow drifts.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I ended up doing suitcase weights. I thought about doing nothing, but have been told that you want to balance out the weight off that front axle. So 4 suitcase weights for me, as I feel rim guard is overkill for my situation. In fact i'd probably doing ok with no weight. I rather be safe than sorry though on that first snowstorm as my dealer is 35 miles away.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I like suit case weights strictly for the ease of putting them on and taking them off. I always thought wheels weights were a real pita. Also suit case weights can be used for the front of the tractor, not just the rear. When I'm tilling I have the weights on the front. For snowblowing they are on the rear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
After much resistance I took the plunge on wheel weights. They have their advantages but also disadvantages too. You need to evaluate your situation. They are expensive, but its not like suitcase weights aren't. They provide weight low helping to lower your center of gravity and it is not directly on your axle. They didn't scratch up my rims like my dad said they would. They are not quickly removable. Don't extend the length of your machine. If you are not worried about removal of the weights I would look into wheel weights otherwise suit case weights are the easiest.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
When the weight is in the wheels, be it filled tires or wheel weight, the load is not being carried by the bearings in the rear end like a suitcase weight on the rear end. :greendr:
This.

Always weight the wheels/tires first.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You think 165 extra pounds will damage the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You think 165 extra pounds will damage the wheel bearings?
No, you should be fine.:trink39: While weights on the back do cause some more stress, I have never seen it quantified or an example where damage was done. Personally I think it can be overblown at times.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Agreed, never seen or heard anything on these breaking because of the weight. You should be very happy with your decision!

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I agree with Ricster. You may not need any weight but better safe than sorry. I had good luck with a homemade 150lb weight on the 3PH on my X728 last winter. My driveway is fairly flat too. Suitcase weights get my vote. And I too wouldn't worry about undo stress on the machine. I doubt you would leave them hang on their forever, so it would only be for winter use, by the sounds of it.:fing32:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,098 Posts
FWIW, I put wheel weights on my 1996 445 when I bought it, and took them off for the first time in 2009 when I traded it in for my x728. I would say that was not terribly inconvenient. FWIW, in that time they did not scratch my wheels.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was facing the same decision since I snowblow and have a uphill driveway. I went with SC weights because I have Al Z forks for the rear and love the ability to move the weights from front to back to garage floor in a few seconds. It's the most utility for the buck, if you ask me. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Thanks Deerman. My driveway is relatively flat. Does that Rimguard product work well? I guess the only downside with that is the tractor will be heavier all year round.

Thanks again...
Jim
I have not noticed year round problems with the filled tire weight. I think it smoothed the ride some.

If I were doing it over I would do the suitcase weights 1st and see how things go. In the end I would have filled the tires for the JB Sr. anyhow. The two weight types are a good balance and work well for me but are not needed for everyone/everything.

Do you have or are you planning on getting a 3pt hitch? If not the frame mounted weight bracket P have would save some $s over the JD Click-n-Go system. If you need the Click-n-Go for a bagger system or something else that is probably the way to go. My bracket is in the pic below, at this
eBay listing
, and can be seen in my My X748's rear platform (too many pics maybe but ...) where I use it for another purpose.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I've only had wheel weights starting with the 318. So it was the obvious choice on the X520. plus I have the single bucket holder with sand taking up the back side.
I doubt there is a wrong way.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have not noticed year round problems with the filled tire weight. I think it smoothed the ride some.

If I were doing it over I would do the suitcase weights 1st and see how things go. In the end I would have filled the tires for the JB Sr. anyhow. The two weight types are a good balance and work well for me but are not needed for everyone/everything.

Do you have or are you planning on getting a 3pt hitch? If not the frame mounted weight bracket P have would save some $s over the JD Click-n-Go system. If you need the Click-n-Go for a bagger system or something else that is probably the way to go. My bracket is in the pic below, at this
eBay listing
, and can be seen in my My X748's rear platform (too many pics maybe but ...) where I use it for another purpose.

My weight bracket looks different than yours and everyone elses that posted pics of them. Everyone seems to have a divider that sections of 2 weights per section, mine is an open bracket and the weights could slide from side to side if I dont put all 6 on the bracket...are there 2 different styles?

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are also 70# suitcase weights available from JD. They are used on the CUT's tractors. I have 6 on the back of my 420 that has a 44 Loader on it.

·
I Deere Ya
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys...

WOW! Great information here. I really appreciate the quick responses. You guys make this one of the best forums on the internet. I hope I can return the favor some day.

Take care.

p.s. I'm sure you don't recall, but I purchased my X728 new this spring. I had a 345 prior which was a great machine. This unit is such a joy to own and operate. I'm now hoping for a snowy winter. I need to mentally justify this snowblower purchase. Gosh they're expensive...a lot of cash for something without an engine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts