My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest different with this tractor is that even on flat ground, unless I slow way down, when turning sharply I get a bouncy up-down-up-down stuttering jerky feel. Looking at the front tires I think I've seen the sidewalls wobble a bit. I raised pressure to top of recommended range but don't think it helped. Anyone else noticed this?

I was hoping the larger tires would be smoother than my old x534, but this feels rougher because of this. Maybe as if the front wheel 4wd isn't pulling fast enough and the tires are being pushed sideways.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have a LT155 with a 38'' mower deck and a older 111 without a deck, these two ride really bumpy on my back lawn.

But the x728 I have rides over it smooth as a pillow, it just floats and steers and really handles nice.

It doesn't have a mower deck on it but it has a hard cab with 4 weights on the front and a roto tiller on the back.

Must be all that extra weight really smooths out the ride.

I guess I could also mention, no sideways pushing or tire wobbling.

Rob

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Brent,

My 748 is smooth, the drop leg planetaries in the front and the gears in the hydrostat do need to "wear in" and that will happen over the course of 50 hours (most likely the reason for the first fluid change at 50). I noticed a little jerkiness at first but it didn't last long and I'm at 26 hours right now and she's so smooth!

·
Registered
477 Posts
The biggest different with this tractor is that even on flat ground, unless I slow way down, when turning sharply I get a bouncy up-down-up-down stuttering jerky feel. Looking at the front tires I think I've seen the sidewalls wobble a bit. I raised pressure to top of recommended range but don't think it helped. Anyone else noticed this?

I was hoping the larger tires would be smoother than my old x534, but this feels rougher because of this. Maybe as if the front wheel 4wd isn't pulling fast enough and the tires are being pushed sideways.

My X485 did the same thing and my X728 does it also.
I notice when I have the cruise set it doesn't do it. I just gussed that the foot pressure on the forward pedal was irratic from the bouncing of my foot!!!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There used to be a JD bulletin about this on the old 400-series w/ AWS. The "surging" feeling was due to the u-joints in the rear. Apparently when when turning they effectively speed up and slow down as they flex, thus the feeling you get. I can't explain it well, but this must be the reason the constant-velocity joint was invented.

·
Banned
587 Posts
My X485 did the same thing and my X728 does it also.
I notice when I have the cruise set it doesn't do it. I just gussed that the foot pressure on the forward pedal was irratic from the bouncing of my foot!!!

You got me... Give me a good (logic) reason why one would mow their lawn in cruise control?

My 345 has cruise control, and for the life of me, why would a lawn tractor manufacturer install such on a machine. When I'm mowing...the longest mowing run is 492 feet without turning. And if logic out does smarts, no way would cruise control be a benefit. I would rather have a "spoiler" on the rear part of the fender platform that would better serve the purpose.

·
6,553 Posts
Considering the 7 series is spec'd by Deere to mow up to 7 acres, I'm sure there are folks out there who have one way runs long enough to easily justify cruise control. Just because you don't have a use for it, does not make it useless.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You got me... Give me a good (logic) reason why one would mow their lawn in cruise control?

My 345 has cruise control, and for the life of me, why would a lawn tractor manufacturer install such on a machine. When I'm mowing...the longest mowing run is 492 feet without turning. And if logic out does smarts, no way would cruise control be a benefit. I would rather have a "spoiler" on the rear part of the fender platform that would better serve the purpose.

My good reason is:
My leg gets tired after an hour or so and our lot, and the right of ways we mow, IT,s darn handy
Maybe you don't have long runs and lots of trees?
I for one am darn glad JD put that feature on the tractors.
We have 3 445's and one 728 and we use the cruise on all 4!!

·
Registered
627 Posts

I guess it depends on your mowing patterns. It sounds like you can't turn with cruise on. I have areas where I don't use it but then again I have areas where I can mow for 1/2 hour in cruise. It is easier on my foot and that is a good reason. I would not buy a machine that didn't have it.

When I bush hog I can set the cruise on my L3400 and go for several hours in cruise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use cruise on the 855, I sure would hate to see them do away with it.

When I mow I make my turns just wide enough I don't have to stop and circle around the field that way until it's all mowed.... then I go back and cut out the corners.

At 64 cruise allows me to daydream about my favorite high school girlfriends and the steamy windows we made in my 55 Chevy coupe. John Deere please don't take an old mans dreams from him, I beg you, always put cruise on your tractors.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you thnik about it, cruise makes an HST just like a gear tractor.:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use cruise on the 855, I sure would hate to see them do away with it.

When I mow I make my turns just wide enough I don't have to stop and circle around the field that way until it's all mowed.... then I go back and cut out the corners.

At 64 cruise allows me to daydream about my favorite high school girlfriends and the steamy windows we made in my 55 Chevy coupe. John Deere please don't take an old mans dreams from him, I beg you, always put cruise on your tractors.
At 77 I dare to say it's hard to remember those days!! However I do remember my 55 chevrolet hardtop, Pink and grey, V8.
"It didn't have cruise"

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mine also smoothed out the jerkyness after a few hours of work, am currently sitting at about 24 hours. I deer say that I cant wait for snow and to be able to use it.

But I've got very short runways probably 325 to 350 foot straights. I dont always use it but once in a while its nice to put it at the speed and go. Because its sometimes hard to handle not only the beer, the cigar, the music, the straight line mowing, but also to control the speed. I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. :biglaugh:

·
6,553 Posts
I just wish it was electronic like it was on my 3320. While it's no doubt that Deere implemented the mechanical CC better than AYP did on my Craftsman, I still prefer the electronic cruise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts