My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Nice "How to" Rob :fing02:

Then I rechecked my chain slack and it was tight, so I kept rolling it over a bit at a time and found out I had a good 3/8" of slack
To answer the question why the chain don't keep a steady adjustment, going from tight to 3/8"

I encounter the same phenomena on my blower when I did the maintenance on it, it's not a chain that drive the blower, it's a belt but I found the same eccentric on the main pulley.

Booth pulley are mount with the same mechanism, two bolt and a shaft key.

The bolt take the slack difference between the shaft OD and the pulley ID hole and result on an offset pulley, not by much but enough to create the eccentric wobble.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice "How to" Rob :fing02:

To answer the question why the chain don't keep a steady adjustment, going from tight to 3/8"

I encounter the same phenomena on my blower when I did the maintenance on it, it's not a chain that drive the blower, it's a belt but I found the same eccentric on the main pulley.

Booth pulley are mount with the same mechanism, two bolt and a shaft key.

The bolt take the slack difference between the shaft OD and the pulley ID hole and result on an offset pulley, not by much but enough to create the eccentric wobble.
Thanks for taking the time to look at this, but I can turn the drive shaft by hand to roll over the pulley or sprocket or whatever, so I can watch it as I turn it.

When I turn it one complete revolution the chain will stay tight until I roll it over 2 or 3 revolutions, thats where I will get the slack.

So if what your saying is right, would the slack and tightness would always occur in one revolution.

Now I'm not saying your wrong because I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but you sure have thinking here.:fing32:

Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the chain gets tight in one revolution of the small sprocket, the shaft for the small sprocket is bent or the sprocket has an eccentric.

If the chain gets tight in one revolution of the large sprocket, then that shaft is bent or the sprocket has an eccentric.

If the chain gets tight in one revolution of the chain, then you have worn links in the chain and it should be replaced. When this occurs, the stretched part of the chain will be over the large sprocket, so you can usually pull the chain away from the sprocket when it's tight, but not when it's loose.

If the tightness occurs with any other frequency, then multiple problems exist and the tightness will occur as the multiple problems come into synch with each other.

Yours sounds like it's time to replace the chain.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the chain gets tight in one revolution of the small sprocket, the shaft for the small sprocket is bent or the sprocket has an eccentric.

If the chain gets tight in one revolution of the large sprocket, then that shaft is bent or the sprocket has an eccentric.

If the chain gets tight in one revolution of the chain, then you have worn links in the chain and it should be replaced. When this occurs, the stretched part of the chain will be over the large sprocket, so you can usually pull the chain away from the sprocket when it's tight, but not when it's loose.

If the tightness occurs with any other frequency, then multiple problems exist and the tightness will occur as the multiple problems come into synch with each other.

Yours sounds like it's time to replace the chain.
Its a new chain with the new blower, it only has 8 hours run time on it. You might be right here, I appreciate the input also.:fing32:

Rob

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to look at this, but I can turn the drive shaft by hand to roll over the pulley or sprocket or whatever, so I can watch it as I turn it.

When I turn it one complete revolution the chain will stay tight until I roll it over 2 or 3 revolutions, thats where I will get the slack.

So if what your saying is right, would the slack and tightness would always occur in one revolution.

Now I'm not saying your wrong because I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but you sure have thinking here.:fing32:

Rob
I always read your thread Rob, I learn a lot from them, don't always reply but I follow them for sure. :fing32:

If the other gear, the one that is run by the drive shaft is mount the same way (two bolt and a key) then you have it, the two pulley don't get the eccentric at the same time that why I think you don't get the slack on each turn.

And BTW Merry Christmas. :fest30: :thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always read your thread Rob, I learn a lot from them, don't always reply but I follow them for sure. :fing32:

If the other gear, the one that is run by the drive shaft is mount the same way (two bolt and a key) then you have it, the two pulley don't get the eccentric at the same time that why I think you don't get the slack on each turn.

And BTW Merry Christmas. :fest30: :thThumbsU
The gear run by the drive shaft has a roll pin through it on the blower end, and the drive shaft just has a grease fitting and a small bolt for the drive shaft stop ) so it won't slide all the way out.

I'll run it in the next couple days and then check the chain for slack or tightness, no snow here yet.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.