My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new x728, 54 inch deck and a 47" snow blower. Now it is true that my wife cried when I told her how much it was. She wants a dining room set. Who uses that? Think of all the fun we’ll have with a new x728 I told her! :greendr: Fortunately, it was only for one night and then she got over it. Anyway, it arrived at the dealer and is waiting to be delivered. She is a beauty (the tractor) and I can't wait to take delivery.

I did make one mistake. I got a quote on the 3 point hitch but neglected to order it. About a week after I wrote the check, I asked about the 3PH thinking it would be a simple add on. The dealer said he could get one on for $567 plus $200 for installation. I think I got a great deal on this (now is a great time to buy) and I doubt I have much negotiating room on the hitch at this point.

Has anyone installed a 3PH on an X7 series and is it something I could do myself, or should I just shell out the $200? Also, can I still use the mower deck after the 3PH is installed? Thanks, I will post photos after it is delivered.

·
Super Moderator
17,263 Posts
There are a few members on here that have done it it pretty easy I had to uninstall & reinstall mine when I had to replace the Depth Stop on it once. I messed up the depth stop threaded rod.:thThumbsU
You just need a set of spring clip Pliers and a ratchet set

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did mine with some help (I have a bad hand). The hardest part was hooking up the hydaulic lines to the hydraulic cylinder, which has to be moved. I had to buy some special tools because the fittings were in a very confined space. If I had to do it over again, I'd pay the dealer to do it.

You're going to love the snowblower but will probably quickly wish you had a cab...

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I ordered my x748 with a three point and the rear PTO, both were installed at the dealer. I guess there aren't enough ordered that way for Deere to do it at the factory.

Congrats on the x728, you will enjoy it a lot more than a dining room set.:thThumbsU

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
I had my dealer install mine, didn't know what it involved, but looking at it, it looks pretty straightforward if you have good tools, fair mechanical ability and some patience. It requires removing the seat pan and fuel tank to get best access, although I suppose you could do it from underneath.

Using the deck with the 3-pt on works like this: The same lever on the inst panel that raises and lowers the deck also raises and lowers the lift, because it is the same cylinder doing both jobs. To use the deck, and not have the lift go up and down, there is a threaded adjuster rod on the lift that limits its travel. With this rod adjusted all the way up, the lift stays put when the deck is raised and lowered.

To use the lift, and keep the deck from going up and down, this adjuster is screwed all the way out. Then you raise the deck, and use the deck height adjuster to lock the deck in the "up" position by setting the adjustment at 5". Then the lift goes up and down but the deck stays up. You can also easily remove the lower lift arms and lift links when not using the lift, so it doesn't get in the way of doing stuff like pulling a trailer. For things like the bagger and PowerFlow, the rear lift arms MUST be removed. The rockshaft stays in place all the time.

The rear PTO and 3-pt lift are designated as dealer installed options, not available installed from the factory.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
etc02,

Congrats on your new X728!

I'm hoping to place an order on an X748/9 this fall. When you say "now is a great time to buy", could you elaborate some on that? Were they working a good deal for you?

I also wanted to mention that I got a big chuckle from these lines in your post: "She wants a dining room set. Who uses that?"

I had my dealer install mine, didn't know what it involved, but looking at it, it looks pretty straightforward if you have good tools, fair mechanical ability and some patience. It requires removing the seat pan and fuel tank to get best access, although I suppose you could do it from underneath.

Using the deck with the 3-pt on works like this: The same lever on the inst panel that raises and lowers the deck also raises and lowers the lift, because it is the same cylinder doing both jobs. To use the deck, and not have the lift go up and down, there is a threaded adjuster rod on the lift that limits its travel. With this rod adjusted all the way up, the lift stays put when the deck is raised and lowered.

To use the lift, and keep the deck from going up and down, this adjuster is screwed all the way out. Then you raise the deck, and use the deck height adjuster to lock the deck in the "up" position by setting the adjustment at 5". Then the lift goes up and down but the deck stays up. You can also easily remove the lower lift arms and lift links when not using the lift, so it doesn't get in the way of doing stuff like pulling a trailer. For things like the bagger and PowerFlow, the rear lift arms MUST be removed. The rockshaft stays in place all the time.

The rear PTO and 3-pt lift are designated as dealer installed options, not available installed from the factory.
khodges, Thanks for taking time to explain how that all works. I had been wondering about that -- makes sense now.

Have you ever considered what it would take to make those work independently/simultaneously?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
It makes me so happy to see so many new X700's on these forums!

Always glad to welcome a new owner to the group! Congrats on your New X7!

·
Super Moderator
17,263 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many Thanks, Sergeant Keghead and Moses. I get the feeling that although it can be done, I may be better off having the dealer install the 3 PH.

And thanks for the explanation on how to operate the hitch with the deck installed, it makes sense now. :thanku:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
etc02,

Congrats on your new X728!

I'm hoping to place an order on an X748/9 this fall. When you say "now is a great time to buy", could you elaborate some on that? Were they working a good deal for you?

I also wanted to mention that I got a big chuckle from these lines in your post: "She wants a dining room set. Who uses that?"

khodges, Thanks for taking time to explain how that all works. I had been wondering about that -- makes sense now.

Have you ever considered what it would take to make those work independently/simultaneously?
My local dealer quoted a price for a new x728 with a small discount. I then thought about buying a 2009 with low hours and called a bunch of dealerships and just talked with the salesman. My sense was that the markup on the snowblower package was steep, and there was a fair amount of negotiating room. Before I bought a pre owned, I decided to go back to my dealer and make an offer much lower than their quote for a new x728, based on the information I had learned. They countered a little higher we reached an agreement the next day.

By the way....Has anyone looked at the Deere "0% financing for 12 months, see your dealer for details"? They wanted $99 to open a credit account and a 2% loan fee. Then the dealer wanted another 75 for a finance fee! I don't begrudge them for trying to make money, but advertising 0% interest and then trying to charge 2 to 4% in fees, while technically is no interest, is still a bit misleading!
:banghead3

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you join the EAA (40 bucks) you can receive a 400.00 discount coupon on X700 series tractors. Easy way to save 360 dollars.....:fing32:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,355 Posts
I approached the financing question a different way. I asked the dealer straight up if there was a discount for a cash deal, and of course there was. So, pay me now, or pay me later, there is no free lunch.

I love my 728, I'm sure you will too.

Good luck with the blower, I wish I could have justified it when I bought my tractor last November, then mother nature justified it last December, January, and February. But 4WD and my 54" blade did the job.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Yeah there's roughly a 14% discount for cash, at least that was my experience.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
If you join the EAA (40 bucks) you can receive a 400.00 discount coupon on X700 series tractors. Easy way to save 360 dollars.....:fing32:
I did that, it felt good to get another chunk off the price of the tractor. I had joined EAA to get a better admission to AirVenture 08 for camping and some other discounts. What got me started thinking on getting my X748 was the HUGE display JD had at Oshkosh. You get a pretty cool magazine, too.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I would have joined for sure if I had known about it. I haven't flown for years, but still get a few mags and love reading about it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Congrats on the new X728!!:trink40:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts