My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
One more question, did the dealer fix it?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you get the powder off after it was fixed?
I haven't cleaned it up yet but I will this afternoon. If you look at all the pictures you will see the roundup spray can its new and never had roundup in it, but I'll use that with a little car wash soap then the other sprayer that I have a picture of, that way you don't have to get under the tractor, its fast and easy:fing32:

Rob

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question, did the dealer fix it?
I just hung up the phone, talked to the service manager and he said they will fix it no charge and when they have a truck coming through they will pick it up and deliver it, no charge for that either. He also said they would keep it inside.

I had heard good things about Eis Impliment plus they are only 8 miles away. I bought a LT155 13 years ago so this is my second tractor from them.

To say I'm pretty happy with them, that's an understatement, these guys are great.

I called the service manager first and explained what I had and he said send the pictures and he would call me when he got them, within minutes he called me and I told him 4th page 1st picture and 4th page 2nd and 3rd pictures, I ask him if he's with me on this, and he said sure am.

He ask me how I got the powder up under there so I told him you kind of throw it upward and squeeze it at the same time, but you need to go from both sides of the tractor to get good coverage. Just looking at the pictures doesn't do it justice, looking at it in real life, the two leaks are clearer then a bell.

I have did a few pickups and cars with this process, the last truck I did was an old 1/2 ton Ford my Son has, it had a coating of oil and grease a 1/4 inch thick on the whole side and back of the motor. My Son said should I clean it off, and I told him no, don't touch it. We warmed it up good and shut it off, sprayed the whole side and back of the motor and within a couple of minutes you could see the line going down the side of the block.

You warm them up, shut them off, then spray the powder on and wait, it will be a brown line through the white powder.

Rob

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan for commenting on my thread, the bride and I put some hours on the process, pictures and all, and I was feeling kind of disgruntled, her and I put all the time in and no one even said hey Rob and Shari thanks for the tip. She ask me this morning how the guys liked the pictures and I told her no one even commented.

It makes a guy say to himself why spend the time, but on the other hand if one guy uses it its probably worth it.

Anyway thanks Dan I feel a whole lot better.

Rob

·
GO TIGERS!
1,210 Posts
Thanks Dan for commenting on my thread, the bride and I put some hours on the process, pictures and all, and I was feeling kind of disgruntled, her and I put all the time in and no one even said hey Rob and Shari thanks for the tip. She ask me this morning how the guys liked the pictures and I told her no one even commented.

It makes a guy say to himself why spend the time, but on the other hand if one guy uses it its probably worth it.

Anyway thanks Dan I feel a whole lot better.

Rob
Sorry Rob,
I read this on my iPhone this morning but usually don't post anything from work.

I did catalog the Baby Powder idea in the "Remember this cool trick" file that I keep in the back of my memory. When the time comes that I need it, it'll be there! Just hope that I don't it mixed up with the powdered sugar suggestion, or is that flour?!:dunno:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Rob,

I thought you and the deer had a party with all that white flake lol. Anyway yes the baby powder trick works well.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Exactly what was leaking?

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Nice work Rob :fing32: I had heard of using baby powder before but never actually saw how well it works.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Nice write up Rob, it looks like it worked great. I am sure it looked better in pictures. Sometimes pictures can both hide stuff you want people to see and stuff you don't want people to see...... :)

I will have to try that on my next leak, although Mrs. Beef will probably being taking pictures of the operator not the tractor covered in baby powder :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
-With only 28 hrs in 3+ years, I think your tractor is just "acting up" like a kid or a pet that you don't pay enough attention too.:hide:
-Really great write up Rob, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks men I really appreciate you guys responding:thThumbsU

It took 35 minutes to clean it off, I sprayed it with that sprayer I showed earlier, it had a half a tank of cold soapy water, it was a cap full of zip car wash to that tank of water, it says it won't take wax off so its not very strong.

20 minutes soaking it with that sprayer then another 15 minutes with that wand I showed earlier.

It looks clean but I'll check it tomorrow and give you guys a report if its clean or not. Anyway all cold water.

Its a little different working on the bottom of a motor versus dusting the side of one.

I would use this same thing on hydraulic leaks. The discoloration is how it works.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts