My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've come here looking for some help on something that should be very basic. I can't seem to get the mower deck lift arms to raise and lower.

I'll do my best to describe based on the part names in the manual and the parts catalog (specifically the mower deck lift linkage diagram)...

The tractor is a 2006 X728SE. I have removed the snow blower and shaft. The quick-hitch has also been removed and the hydrolics have been disconnected. I have turned the hydrolic cylinder lockout valve knob so it is fully open (counter clockwise). The three point hitch raises and lowers now, but the lift arms just don't move.

The arms (12B) hang from the yoke (16), the yokes are connected to the lift arms (1). Although I've called it a few other things tonight too ;) But shouldn't that lift arm go up and down when I push and pull on the top hydrolic lever so it will allow me to connect the eyebolt (18) easily ? Please, someone make me feel like and idiot and tell me what I've missed. Thanks !

Ted

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
The arms do not weigh enough by themselves. I had to pull down on mine.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: Reach up and pull down as stated by saleen49. My X585SE would do the same thing once in a while. slkpk

·
Registered
250 Posts
There could be a hydraulic lock out valve closed when that control lever is used for the blower shute. On the 425 its located under the left floor pan, this is a picture of it. Winter it is front seated and to use the deck lift arms it is back seated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you have the deck height set to the highest setting? Not familiar with your 728, but I set my 445 lift arms to the highest setting for winter plowing and have to adjust it down to get the deck back on in the spring.

Attachments

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
Like apmonte said, check the mowing height adjustment, and like saleen 49 said, you may have to pull down on the arms after releasing them with the control lever. I have the 748, I have to pull down the arms whenever I reinstall the deck. They don't have enough weight to fall by themselves against the friction of the cylinder. The deck height adjuster is used to keep the arms full up whenever using a rear lift, so they don't both go up and down. I'm not educated on the front hydraulics yet, as I haven't got anything that needs them....yet.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Don't know who ELSE might have had the same issue, but when I called our dealer nearby, he told me to look at two things. First the knob by the hydraulic connectors, make sure it is set correctly. SECOND, CHECK THE HEIGHT CONTROL. I fought the blasted tractor for 30 minutes before I called and had my eyes opened. Reset the control to the lowest setting and magically the arms dropped.

Good luck

Do you have the deck height set to the highest setting? Not familiar with your 728, but I set my 445 lift arms to the highest setting for winter plowing and have to adjust it down to get the deck back on in the spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I had to take the deck off and adjust the height control a couple of times. Thanks guys ! I was really at my wits end. All good now.

Ted

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
That is one AWESOME unit. I mow about 1.5 acres and then plow a 150' 2 car drive way. I know it is overkill, but overkill can be neat.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
Ted, a couple of questions. You said this was an '06, but the pics look like a brand new, unused unit. No dirt or anything underneath. And also, there are a few rods and linkages in the picture that aren't on my tractor. The only difference between the 728 and 748 is the engine, so what is under yours on the transmission end should be identical to mine. Your picture has what looks like a rear steer linkage. Is yours a 729 (4-wheel steer) instead of the 728?

Either way an incredible piece of machinery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi KHodges, that pic was actually posted by Saleen49, my deck isn't that clean ! :hide:
Mine is the X728SE, so like you said prolly identical to yours.

Hi Danbike, I've had this tractor since August of last summer (bought it with only 50 hours on it). So I've had about 2 months of honest cutting with it. 4 acres of grass though and it is just awesome ! I spent this winter snow blowing 1/4 mile laneway to my house plus the approx 50' by 120' paved area between my house and garage. I can not believe the snow (and rocks !) it can throw. I gotta get some kind of cab for it though, those winter storms make for some cold nights out there !

Ted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts