My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 X728 with 230 hours. Whenever I start the tractor...I start it according to the manual, between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle with the switch in the on position for a few seconds to let the system build pressure. It seems to me excessive cranking when the engine is cold. I started timing the cranking, and I let it crank for 5 seconds, and then let it set for a minute...and then another 5 seconds of cranking it will start. Pretty much the same thing every time the engine is cold. After the engine warms up, it starts great...pretty much instantly when you touch the key. Also, after the engine is warm...when going from full throttle to 1/2 or lower throttle...the engine seems to miss and cut out if you don't cut the throttle down extremely slow. I also get backfiring sometimes while starting the engine cold. Recently had 200 hour service done, with new spark plugs put in it. 10 hours after the new plugs...I had taken the tractor in for another issue to a different dealer, that was closer...and they said the engine was surging and needed the plugs changed. The tractor is still under warranty, so if not something simple, I am going to take it back to the dealer to see if they can come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am not that familar with the X7 but I know is should be a Kawasaki gas motor with fuel injection correct? I will say the Kaw gas engine I have on my 425 is always hard to start for the first time of the day, but it's a carb. It takes a bit of choke and some cranking. If you are only cranking for 5 seconds before you stop and wait, that's kind of short if you ask me. I know a fuel injected motor should fire right off but...do you turn your key on and let the fuel pump pressurzie the system? Maybe your fuel system loses pressure when it sits overnight for some reason. It shouldn't but... I think Kawasaki's are just cold natured. I have had a lot of engines like that in the past, a pain to start but once warm it isn't a problem.

New plugs after 10 hours? Something fishy there. Bad plugs won't cause surging if you ask me. Now, if something fouls them out then you will develop a miss etc. That's not the plugs fault, it's something else. Either something is up with your fuel system or if it is oil that is fouling the plugs, then you have excessive oil consumption. I would have the dealer show you the plugs and confirm. A 2008 should not do that.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Do you treat your gas with something similar to Stabil or an ethanol treatment?

Have you tried a fuel injector cleaner or some seafoam or similar?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Since it's still under warranty let the dealer fix it and do it right. slkpk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally an update on my problem. After 2 dealers, the problem was finally solved with my hard starting and backfiring issue. The problem was a vacuum sensor that they replaced, and they also adjusted the valves and changed the fuel filter. Now, the tractor runs better than it ever has since I've owned it. No more hard starting and no more backfiring. Thanks again for everybody's help!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,094 Posts
Thanks for closing out your experience. I'll note that. I am approaching 200 hour service (though if it doesn't soon snow, I'll be mowing before I get there).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts