My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went from an x534 to x728 and the blade height know (yes, with the deck fully raised) is really hard to turn. Tough to do with finger tips while seated; have to really get my hand around it.

All "wimp" jokes aside.... Is this difference between models or do you think it's just mine?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can turn the knob with My hand while seated on my X728. that said, it is harder then my X540 was.
Dave

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
As long as the deck is fully up, I don't have any issues with mine. It's not buttery smooth and does require some effort, probably so that it maintains it's setting. You can feel it "click" as the gear on the underside moves to engage the deck stop.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ya it's tight. My X540 was not hard at all, also on my X540 the park brake handle would disengage when I stepped on the brake. Not My X728 you have to push it down. Does yours have to be pushed down?
Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, sounds like the same thing.

I haven't actually mowed with it yet, so I'll see how it works.

May keep in on the list for winter service if it works.

Boss: I have to push it down

·
6,553 Posts
Yes you have to push down to release the parking brake, pull up to set it. That is covered on the sticker between your legs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes you have to push down to release the parking brake, pull up to set it. That is covered on the sticker between your legs.
Yes brett I know. Was just stating that my X540 would release when you stepped on the brake & worked a lot smoother.
Dave

·
6,553 Posts
Boss,

I wish it auto released when you step on the pedal. I'm sure it's doable but would probably require removing the catch from the lever that operates the P-Brake.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I will have to look at it some day. the X540 was so smooth that when you stepped on the brake the handle just fell down on it's own and disengage.
Dave

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine is kinda tight when you turn it too. This was my first JD, so I thought maybe it supposed to be that way. Mine seems a little off as far as the setting goes. It seems like I have to set it to a little higher cut height than it actually cuts. So it seems to actually cut lower than I would expect per setting. I am the second owner so maybe mine is a little worn??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This x728 with 60" 7-iron deck is great; since I've gotten it, I haven't had to mow once. I think the grass is afraid of its sheer size, hasn't grown an inch in weeks. (well except the crabgrass) Look at it, turning brown with fear...

Or maybe it's the heat and no irrigation... (100 deg plus)

·
Registered
431 Posts
This x728 with 60" 7-iron deck is great; since I've gotten it, I haven't had to mow once. I think the grass is afraid of its sheer size, hasn't grown an inch in weeks. (well except the crabgrass) Look at it, turning brown with fear...

Or maybe it's the heat and no irrigation... (100 deg plus)
lol!:trink39:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Make sure the deck is raised all the way. I found that if the deck is down just a little the knob will be hard to turn.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just went from an x534 to x728 and the blade height know (yes, with the deck fully raised) is really hard to turn. Tough to do with finger tips while seated; have to really get my hand around it.

All "wimp" jokes aside.... Is this difference between models or do you think it's just mine?
Had the same problem:
Took to dealer and he removed the mower, took the adjusting knob off, installed a special washer( John deere tec bulletin) lubed the threads and it works so smooooth now!!!!!
Was a warrantee job but I had to haul it to them. When and if you take it in, remove the mower which will make them happy, although it's so simple for them.
THIS WILL FIX IT!!!!!!!!!

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Had the same problem:
Took to dealer and he removed the mower, took the adjusting knob off, installed a special washer( John deere tec bulletin) lubed the threads and it works so smooooth now!!!!!
Was a warrantee job but I had to haul it to them. When and if you take it in, remove the mower which will make them happy, although it's so simple for them.
THIS WILL FIX IT!!!!!!!!!
What year is your X728? I'm wondering if the special washer was installed to begin with on my 2010.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Sounds like what I need. It's the hauling it to them or them doing it for $80 that's the pain...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar problem with my X748, I had not turned the hydraulic valve behind the connectors for the front blade. When I took the blade off i was supposed to turn the valve and had not done that. After I turned the valve it allowed the deck to go high enough to clear the adjustment. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts