My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this site. I'm shopping for a new to me GT. I went and looked at a used x720 at local dealer. it's a 07 under 100 hrs (i think 89), my question is one headlamp has condensation in it. Can this be fixed or does it need to be replaced?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
If those headlight lenses are anything like my '04 GX, there's no real "seal" around them. Water AND dust gets in there quickly and easily. It doesn't do much harm other than reducing the effectiveness of the lights but it can be a PIA to remedy. I had to remove the hood, disassemble the entire grill and lens/reflector assembly. After cleaning and reassembly I used silicone "putty" NOT SILICONE SEALER around the lense/reflector surfaces. The "sealer" will pretty much become a "glue" where you only want a "seal". It's no biggie, just more down time where a simple closed cell foam gasket could have been installed at the point of assembly. BUT look at it this way, you "saved" the price of that gasket that would have been added on at point of sale! WOW!:ROF:D:D:D

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I pretty much keep condensation in my X748 lights because I'm always washing it down after mowing. It looks bad, but is more nuisance than real problem. The thing I see as more problem is that if water can get in, so can dust, and that would really look nasty after a while, plus make the reflector less effective. The fix is straightforward, like HH says.

I certainly wouldn't let something like a few tears in the 720's eye keep me from buying it. **** fine tractor. What's the story on a trade in with less than 100 hrs? What size deck comes with it? What are YOUR mowing needs, too? If you have a ton of mowing, this is a great machine, you can wipe out a big field in no time. If you plan to garden, consider wheel weights or filled tires down the road. I sometimes need 4WD when tilling or working on a hillside, but the "positraction" locking axle and the HDAP tires will pull a locomotive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I won't let the condensation be a deal breaker.

I'm thinking this might be a church program? I went in there last sat to see what they had for x475 and x485's. They didn't have any, but they own 6 other dealerships, so he went in to see what the others had. nothing under 300 hrs. As i was walking out, I decided to ask what the others had for x720s. He told me about this one and he could get it brought to them if i wanted to see it. Well he called me yesterday that they had it. I went and looked at it after they closed, going back today. It has a 54" deck, and the price is right.

This GT is way more then i need. It will mow maybe an acre and blow a 120' driveway. If someday I get a garden or chickens, I will get something a little bigger.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
This GT is way more then i need. It will mow maybe an acre and blow a 120' driveway. If someday I get a garden or chickens, I will get something a little bigger.
This is plenty big for most any garden you'd want. A Ltd Cat 1 3-pt hitch and rear pto will cost you about $1250-$1350, depending on the dealer, and then you can use standard Cat 1 CUT implements. I have a Land Pride RTR 0550 rototiller for my 748, you can bury it and the engine doesn't even notice.

The weight of this machine (>1000 pounds) makes it ride really well, very comfortable to be on for extended periods.

You said the price was right, what's the dealer asking? Do you get the remainder of the factory warranty? Should be 700hrs/4yrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts