My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a X720. Love the tractor. I only have put about 11 hous on it since purchase a few months ago. I mow about 3 acres with the blade cut height at 2.5 inches. Relatively flat or gently sloping land. The belt just broke on the mower deck. Is this common. What could have caused this. I didnt hit anything. I was mowing fine. I then lifted the deck and drove about 50 feet to another spot an put the deck back down and turned the mower on. Loud snap nose. The belt seems to be broken. Should this be covered under warranty? I assume these belts are made to last longer then 11 hours?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi Hauserc,
Although I do not own an X720, this would not be considered normal. I have owned JD tractors where the belts last for 100s of hours. I would definately say that it would be covered by warranty. Aside from it being a total "lemon" belt, I would have the dealer check out why it failed. Perhaps a faulty bearing or no oil in the gearbox on the deck (I assume the 720 has a shaft drive?)
Good luck, and I hope this gets resolved easily.
Jake

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Not normal. Have the dealer check it out to see why it broke while it's under warranty. slkpk

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Not normal... Do you have your pulley covers on? Is it possible debris (branch/stick) may have gotten in there?

Have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not normal there. Like they said have John Deere, verify and check the components out.

Have you pull the belt off? Can you see what kinda of break it is? Post a pic, if possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is not normal have your dealer check the pulleys one may be bent or they are not lined up correctly. On a side note check the deck for any debris ie: sticks or something that may have gotten stuck in ther, If they find something like that I assure you warranty will not cover it. I see it all the time

·
Registered
403 Posts
after you get a new belt, when you go to mow start the mower before you lower the deck. when you lower the deck and then start the mower it is harder to get every thing going as the blades are having to cut as they start to turn.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Just to reinforce what you have already gotten in several responses:
This is not normal, your belt should last much longer by a factor greater than 10. Whether or not the belt itself is covered by warranty, you will want the deck checked out to find what caused the break. If you are lucky, it was just a significant debris obstruction that can easily be fixed. Less lucky would be a bent shaft or bearing freeze.

Debris has caused my belt to jump off a pulley at about 50 hours, but that only happened once, and was easy to fix while the belt was still warm (ok, it was hot and I burnt my thumb, note to self: use a glove if there is a next time)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree, not normal, but my belt broke around 25 hours and the dealer laughed at me when I asked about a warrenty. The did, however, keep my belt to show the District Manager and will get in touch with me. That was two months ago. There must be bad OEM belts out there. New one cost $71.

·
Super Moderator
32,620 Posts
Wonder if we're seeing a repeat of the same type of problem that FDV116 (not sure I got that right) had with his 345 and one of the welds was not in the correct spot and that was constantly causing belts to break. What ever you do keep track of this issue and if it happens again have the local dealer check to see if there are any warranty recalls on the deck.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
PA318,

The X7's decks are all PTO driven, so the only belt is the belt that runs from the PTO gearbox to the idler pulley and out to the 3 blade pulleys. It's real easy to visually check these decks and make sure the belt is running true.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I Have a X720. Love the tractor. I only have put about 11 hous on it since purchase a few months ago. ... The belt just broke on the mower deck. Is this common. What could have caused this. ...
My X300 belt broke at about 15 hours and one of the things they asked me when I brought a replacement was, was the belt wet for an extended period of time? Well I used the mower to plow last winter and lacking wheel weights, I left the mower deck on it. The belt was exposed to wet and freezing conditions for an extended period of time. When I started mowing again in the Spring, it didn't take long for the belt to fail. So the question is did you get the belt wet? Do you hose off the tractor after mowing and get the belt wet?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I hose my deck off all the time. Ican't see why getting a belt wet would hurt it. I could understand that it would rot after a while in damp condtions but just getting it wet. I can't believe that one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had the service tech out. As everyone has hinted, the tech said this was definitely not normal. Upon closer inspection, he found a shredded piece of the belt (sort of looks like rope) that lodged itself around the gear box and had come loose from the belt itself. Thus the seal broke and oil was released from the gear box. The tech believes this was the order of events but I am not sure what order it all happened in. For example, maybe the gear box seal ruptured, which caused the belt to break. Or the belt got caught around the the gear box or pulleys , which caused it to snap and then rupture the seal. In any event, the tech removed the mower deck and took it back to the shop. He is awaiting John Deere's response as to whether to just replace the seal and belt or to replace the entire gear box. We will see what they do. Love the tractor but this isnt good. Dealer has been good so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts