My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am considering getting a new x700, but was wondering how well it will handle snowblowing? My driveway is about 400 feet long, so I want to be sure the x700 is big enough to handle it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
If you put enough weight on the back, and don't have much in the way of hills it should be fine. The differential lock works great. I'd go with the HDAP tires, made a huge difference when I took the turf of and put the HDAP's on my 445.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Are you kidding!!!!!??? The X700's has 4x4, locking differential, 3pt hitch, Even can get a FEL, It will do the job and more, get the snow cab for it too. They are awsome tractors!!!! They are GT's on steroids!!!

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Are you kidding!!!!!??? The X700's has 4x4, locking differential, 3pt hitch, Even can get a FEL, It will do the job and more, get the snow cab for it too. They are awsome tractors!!!! They are GT's on steroids!!!
The x700 is two wheel drive, great tractors though.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Which model are you looking at??? Some are 4x4 and some aren't.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel: and if you have any concern about the X700 then go with a 4x4 in the X700 series. slkpk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like the 700 series can definitely handle the job.

What about the 540? The local dealer has one and a 47" snowblower and they said it can handle snow no problem. And yes my driveway does have a slight grade to it.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,962 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like the 700 series can definitely handle the job.

What about the 540? The local dealer has one and a 47" snowblower and they said it can handle snow no problem. And yes my driveway does have a slight grade to it.
The X540 with HDAP tires, Chain, 4 suitcases weight in the back + diff lock I thing it could handle it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome Street, I have a x720 (2wd) with a 46 sigle stage thrower, 6 suitcase wieghts, turf tires w/chains. My driveway is 130' with a turn around by they house. It takes my 20 mins to clear it, and the only time I've spun the tires was from starting to fast.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You don't even need 4wd for that matter, that is the proverbial icing on the cake. Your drive could be a mile long and the X7XX series will handle it. If your driveway is real steep, 4wd and chains would further help with traction.

I have a 445 with HDAP tires front and rear (no chains), suitcase and wheel weights and I can blow a lot of snow in short order with my two stage 47" blower.

Regards,

Rich

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a X534 with a 47 blower and it works very good. The only draw back is it is belt drive and the hydralics are only one way. The belt will slip if it gets too wet and your pushing it hard. With the one way hydralics you have no down force so it floats.
The X7xx has shaft drive and two way hydralics.

·
Super Moderator
31,898 Posts
:Stop: You don't want to do any down pressure with your snowblower!!! Let it ride on the skids, the weight of it will keep it down where it belongs. If you want to dig put a blade on!

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
I do ~300 feet of driveway per storm (over 3 driveways total) including one 40' upslope section across the street with my 20+ year old 17 HP 180 with a single stage thrower and chains. X700 series should be a sledgehammer for your job unless you live on a glacier in the Arctic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
:Stop: You don't want to do any down pressure with your snowblower!!! Let it ride on the skids, the weight of it will keep it down where it belongs. If you want to dig put a blade on!
Well, I do know that I have found having down pressure to be quite helpful at times allowing extra weight of the tractor to be used to transfer weight to the blower to avoid riding up over heavily impacted or more icy areas.

95% of the time my blowing is done in float mode though.

Regards,

Rich

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
I have an x585 that I use with a 47" 2 stage blower on it. It is very similiar to the 728. It handles the blower with no issues. If you have a wet and heavy snow, you might have to go a little slower but it goes right along.

I had a 445 which is similar but with 2WD. I would only recommend 4 WD for snow removal. I do not use weights or chains and it just goes. No spinning like you get with rear wheel drive with 70 lb weights and chains. The 728/748 would be an very choice. 4 Wheel steering on the 729/749 would let you turn around easier in tight spots because the 2 stage blower and lift make for a long machine. I have elderly neighbors and I do 7 driveway each time it snows. I have used it in 24" snow without any issues.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I do ~300 feet of driveway per storm (over 3 driveways total) including one 40' upslope section across the street with my 20+ year old 17 HP 180 with a single stage thrower and chains. X700 series should be a sledgehammer for your job unless you live on a glacier in the Arctic.
Wisconsin can be arctic like :). If you have a dirt/gravel drive and it tends to build up an icy surface from freezing and thawing, then 4WD is the way to go. I wouldn't trust my x500 up here for snow blowing in northern VT, with my stone driveway and 2-5% grades.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts