My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up under my X720 for the first time today with my creeper poking and
prodding while I was doing my first oil change, sharpening the blades and
such and I noticed a grease fitting on the main driveshaft universal joint.
On mine it had to be turned slightly with a 1/2" wrench to get a grease gun on it
and I pit a couple pumps into it. I've looked through my manual twice and can't
find anything about it., maybe I just over looked it. Just thought y'all might
want to know.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try but I've already put the deck back on. It's up next to the tranaxle.
The engine end has a special coupling but the other end of mine has a small
std. looking universal joint. I got this from JD.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I figure that's the hardest one to get to, and it seems like the driveshaft always stops with it in the hardest to access position.

I made a list of all the grease fittings on mine, so I don't miss one. Just wrote it on the inside back cover of my owners manual. It's nice to own something with grease fittings; means the mfg figured it to last a while.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure that's the hardest one to get to, and it seems like the driveshaft always stops with it in the hardest to access position.

I made a list of all the grease fittings on mine, so I don't miss one. Just wrote it on the inside back cover of my owners manual. It's nice to own something with grease fittings; means the mfg figured it to last a while.
I was able to turn the shaft slightly by hand but I still couldn't get on the
grease fitting, it wasn't installed correctly at the factory, it was angled towards
the yoke of the U-Joint.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

The worst fitting for me on my X585SE was the very top drive shaft that went to the transaxle just ahead of the seat. Do the new ones still have that zerk in the u-joint? slkpk

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was able to turn the shaft slightly by hand but I still couldn't get on the
grease fitting, it wasn't installed correctly at the factory, it was angled towards
the yoke of the U-Joint.
I had the same problem on my 748. I managed to get an end wrench in there and turn it. The 4WD has 2 more on that shaft as well. Those are by far the hardest three to get to.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just mark the engine side of the shaft with a greasy finger mark and then bump the engine until it stops where I can get to that zerk.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
To grease mine while I'm under there , I just turn the drive shaft by hand
until the fitting is in the proper position and give it a couple pumps , it's hard
but it can be done ...

Later,x595

1 - 9 of 9 Posts