My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to pull this discussion out of Brett's excellent "Let the mods begin" thread. It was getting difficult to follow, and I thought for housekeeping/archival purposes it would be easier if this topic had its own thread.

We were trying to figure out what additional hydraulic components were necessary to operate a Front End Loader on the X700 series tractors. I have not pasted the entire discussion here, just some of the more relevant excerpts (below). I did make some editorial comments as well.

Feel free to comment or add any additional info you might have.

Originally Posted by UrbanTractor
Great! Good to know, thanks! (And thanks to Roy for explaining the purpose.)

Okay, so here is the list of what's needed then to operate a J.D. 45 or CTC Loader on an X700-series tractor:

- Hydraulic Coupler Kit (Part No. BM20761) -- Standard Equipment on most X700-series [but not the base X700 model]

- Transaxle Hydrostatic Relief Valve (Part No. 15043 or 15044) -- A recommended component, but the TT K92 Transaxle already has one integral

- Free-wheeling valve control lever (Part No. M146148) -- Standard Equipment on X700-series [but see Wooly's note further below]

- Hydraulic Cylinder Lock-Out Valve (Formerly Part No. AM131526 - now replaced by Part No. AM134625)

So the only NEW parts required are the Lock-Out Valve and (optionally) the Hydrostatic Relief Valve. Pretty simple, afterall.

Brett,

I just came across a reference to another FEL hydraulic component that might be of interest. Anybody familiar with this?

Regenerative Bucket Kit
The regenerative bucket kit is available to improve bucket cycle times.
For 45 Loader Part No. BM22220 $63.00
Addendum: Found this interesting explanation right here on MTF. Sounds like a very desirable component to have with the FEL:

Regenerative Bucket Kit

Now, what about this animal? What is it and where does it go?
- Free-wheeling valve control lever (Part No. M146148)

When installing the JD 45 loader with the recommended hydrostatic releif valve, the standard free-wheel lever needs to be replaced with the alternate lever.
Ohhhhh Now it makes sense Wooly, the lever is probably shaped differently to clear the larger relief valve.

LOL Warren :)

I just got done installing my diverter valve on the back of the SCV!

I had to take the valve apart to get it on. The knob was in the way. Went well, no leaks on the first try :)

My dealer is telling me that they are eliminating the use of the diverter valve. I asked him what they were going to replace it with and he said "nothing" He said that they will just tell people to set the mower cutting height knob to the highest setting which will keep the lift arms in the upmost position. I made them put it on my x729 anyway because that was part of the deal.
The Valve comes standard with the Quick Hitch (it's in the box).

And it's needed.. If you lock the deck in the up position, the hydraulic lift cylinder still moves, and the fluid takes the path of least resistance (which is the deck lift ram) and it makes the motion of the blade "Jerky".

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I am still wondering about the "regenerative bucket kit". Anyone installed one?

I also plan to post a link to the "shim" thread that boosts hydraulic pressure in the K92 transmission, when I can find it again.

Edit: Okay, I found the thread where the K92 shim kit is discussed. Click here.

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
Was looking for something else today and Came across my Bill of sale for MY X485 which I bought with a 45 loader in 2003 Yes I have That installed BM20911(2003 Part Number) It helps with the speed of the cycle time meaning raising and lowering the loader and Dump & Back of the loader bucket . Well it's only gone up $13.00 in the last 7 years not bad.:thThumbsU

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Great thread UT!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping to tidy up the list so it's easier to follow. But before I do, I have a couple questions for Wooly, Brett, or anyone else that might know:

Is the different lever for the Free-Wheeling Valve required because of clearance issues with the Hydrostatic Relief Valve, or with the Lock-Out/Diverter Valve? I assume both of these are mounted on/at the Coupler/SCV?

Also,

Originally Posted by Brett-JDX748
...I just got done installing my diverter valve on the back of the SCV!

I had to take the valve apart to get it on. The knob was in the way. Went well, no leaks on the first try
Brett, I take it you only installed the Lock-Out/Diverter Valve (not the Hydrostatic Relief), and that is the part that comes with the Quick-Hitch? Was the Free-Wheeling Lever the "knob" that got in the way?

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
UT,
the alternate free-wheel lever is due to clearance issues with the hydrostatic relief valve which
is located under the seat on top of the tranny. Hope that clears it up fer ya. Hoping to get some pics out later.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UT,
the alternate free-wheel lever is due to clearance issues with the hydrostatic relief valve which
is located under the seat on top of the tranny. Hope that clears it up fer ya. Hoping to get some pics out later.
Thanks much, Wooly!!

I'll post the cleaned-up list soon.

·
6,553 Posts
UT,

The Quick Hitch kit comes with the diverter valve only(AM134625). The knob you turn on the valve didn't clear the frame when installing it, so rather than take the spool off of the frame, I just took the valve apart, installed the main valve body and then reassembled.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that follow-up info, Brett, Wooly, and Sarge. I'm doing this bit of "housekeeping" both for my own benefit, and to try to help others in the future so they don't have to re-invent the wheel. So if anybody else has additional info, please feel free to pass it along here.

Here is what I've got right now, as far as getting the list organized:

Necessary and Optional Hydraulic Components for Operating an FEL on the JD X700 Series GTs:

- Hydraulic Coupler Kit (Part No. BM20761):

AKA "SCV", standard equipment on X700-series except the base X700 model

- Transaxle Hydrostatic Relief Valve (Part No. 15043 or 15044):

A JD-recommended component. This gets installed "under the seat on top of the tranny." However, the TT K92 transaxle already has an integral relief valve. So adding the second relief valve provides double/redundant protection.

- Hydraulic Cylinder Lock-Out Valve (Formerly Part No. AM131526 - now replaced by Part No. AM134625):

AKA "Diverter Valve". This part gets installed on the SCV, to lock-out other components from the hydraulic loop (such as the mower deck). Some have reported that JD may not be including/recommending this part any longer. Others have said it is still included with the Quick Hitch package. Check with your JD dealer.

- Free-Wheeling Valve Control Lever (Part No. M146148):

A FWVC lever is standard equipment on X700-series tractors. But when the Lock-Out/Diverter Valve is installed on the SCV, the lever on the FWVC needs to be swapped for a different one (due to clearance issues).

- Regenerative Bucket Kit (Part No. BM22220 $63.00, formerly Part No. BM20911)

The regenerative bucket kit is available to improve bucket cycle times. At this point, I'm not exactly sure where it gets installed in the hydraulic system. Some more discussion here: JD Regen Bucket Kit

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
UT,

The Quick Hitch kit comes with the diverter valve only(AM134625). The knob you turn on the valve didn't clear the frame when installing it, so rather than take the spool off of the frame, I just took the valve apart, installed the main valve body and then reassembled.
:ditto::ditto:

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
- Free-Wheeling Valve Control Lever (Part No. M146148):

A FWVC lever is standard equipment on X700-series tractors. But when the Lock-Out/Diverter Valve is installed on the SCV, the lever on the FWVC needs to be swapped for a different one (due to clearance issues).

UT, I respectfully submit the following correction.

The FWVC interferes with the Hydrostatic Relief Valve on top of the tranny, not the Diverter/ Lockout Valve. I am attempting to attach pics for reference.

The first pic shows the two levers, the one on the top is the original.
The second pic is the original valve and lever. (These are located under the seat, fenders, and gas tank on top of the tranny).
The third pic is the new Hydrostatic Relief Valve and Free-Wheel Control Lever.

I hope this will help.

Attachments

·
6,553 Posts
One correction. The hydrostatic pressure relief valve pictured above does not have to be installed with the cylinder lockout for the SCV. The pressure relief valve and associated freewheeling lever are supposed to be installed when using a JD 45 FEL (or really any loader).

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
One correction. The hydrostatic pressure relief valve pictured above does not have to be installed with the cylinder lockout for the SCV. The pressure relief valve and associated freewheeling lever are supposed to be installed when using a JD 45 FEL (or really any loader).
:ditto: Yeah, what Brett said. :fing32:

·
6,553 Posts
Thanks for the pics Wooly! That's the first time I've actually seen the Pressure Relief Valve. I wonder what it does differently than the stock unit that it replaces?

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Good question Brett. All I know is the dealer told me that I had to have it installed with the loader to prevent a pressure surge (if you hit something hard with the loader) from damaging the hydrostatic transmission.

·
6,553 Posts
I guess it just has more internal room for the valve to open, to better deal with surge.. Without seeing both, cross sectioned I can only assume, since it's taller, it has more internal displacement.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
That makes sense.

·
6,553 Posts
How hard was it to get the back fenders off? Remove the seat and associated seat brackets and i know there are some bolts along the front of the fenders where they meet the floor pans. Is that it?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay guys, I will make the corrections and re-post. Thanks for getting me squared away on this. Hopefully I'll get it right soon!! But don't hesitate to point out any further mistakes.

P.S. Maybe I shouldn't have attempted this when I'm recovering from surgery? You know, meds and all.:D:D:D But since I'm laying in bed for two weeks, I have a "little" more time than usual for MTF so I figured I'd tackle it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, here's what my local JD mechanic said when I went to find out what I did to my tractor after my "incident",

He said that the stock internal relief valve relieves up to 5000 psi. The relief valve that JD wants you to have installed for attachments, i.e. 45 loader, plow, etc.... increases the relief pressure to 6300 psi. Soooooo, do you really need it?? Maybe.......maybe not. I'll have to look tomorrow after I get home from work to see which one is on my tractor.

When I bought my tractor 3 years ago with my plow, it wasn't necessary. According to my local mechanic, today it is. Not that anything with the tractor has changed, he says it's JD's way of CYA.

If I was to purchase a new tractor today, I would have all the bases covered before I left the dealershship, so that no matter what I bought for attachments, the tractor could handle it without later modifications. That would include a sealed hose system for the low pressure side..........damm JD engineers......ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I feel better now :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts