My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if someone with an X700 model tractor and front fenders can post a pic of how and where the fender mounts to the tractor?

I am curious if these fenders can be made to work with an X540. One of my newest pet peeves is mowing the first time out after cleaning the lawn tractor and deck and having the front tires kick up a chunk of grass clippings and cover the deck I just cleaned. I figure if I can get these to work on the X540 I hope to buy, the deck would stay cleaner much longer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
In my experience the cut grass will blow out in front of the mower and fly on top of the deck. Not sure how much the fenders will help that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is a difference between the 4wd and the 2wd fenders. Obviously becuase of the axle. I am sure the 2wd version would be less modification to fit your situation.

I really like my fenders and would not be without them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Didn't you just have a child and told every one here that you were putting priorities first and all, and not getting a mower till 2011?
Now, you want to know about fenders?
I thought he passed on a X700...now is looking at a X540. I thought their was a pretty big difference in price between those...like $2000.00? Maybe he can afford the X540 and not the X700? 2 Grand buys a lot of diapers:fing32:

And why is it up to you/us to decide what he should spend his money on? Thats between him and his wife...

My 2 cents of course.

Back on topic...
Hmmm I too would like to mount front fenders. Time to get creative!:fing32:

·
Registered
232 Posts
FYI there is a part that comes with the fenders for installation on the mower deck as to reduce what andy is talking about.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Didn't you just have a child and told every one here that you were putting priorities first and all, and not getting a mower till 2011?
Wouldnt next year be 2011?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am sure someone has a picture, I sure don't. It is a plastic piece that covers up that front trough of the mower deck so it doesn't fill up with debri. There is one for each side about 5" longs that bolts over the trough. If you look them up on jdparts.com I am sure it would show them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I looked into this awhile back. The brackets for the 2WD X700s would set the fenders too far from the tires and don't fit anyway. I thought it would look a bit goofy. So, it boils down to making your own brackets to mount on the spindle arms. I would still like to mess around with the idea, but just have not had time lately.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I think andythedrew was talking about the anti blowout kits for the deck??

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
I am sure someone has a picture, I sure don't. It is a plastic piece that covers up that front trough of the mower deck so it doesn't fill up with debri. There is one for each side about 5" longs that bolts over the trough. If you look them up on jdparts.com I am sure it would show them.
I believe the purpose of the plastic pieces bolted in "the trough" is to prevent the fenders from catching on the front lip on the mower deck when making sharp turns. At least that is what the all-knowing Deere dealer told me.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
I think andythedrew was talking about the anti blowout kits for the deck??
andythedrew , for what it's worth , I bought and tried the Anti Blowout kit (for my 54" MMM) , did'nt notice a difference , so returned it back to my Dealer , (it was'nt worth the $65.00) ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
310 Posts
andythedrew , for what it's worth , I bought and tried the Anti Blowout kit (for my 54" MMM) , did'nt notice a difference , so returned it back to my Dealer , (it was'nt worth the $65.00) ...

Later,x595
Figures. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my experience the cut grass will blow out in front of the mower and fly on top of the deck. Not sure how much the fenders will help that.
Good point, I should have been more specific. I've noticed the front tires love to grab and kick up loose clippings. If i can keep the front tires from any dried/dead clippings from past mowing, the deck stays clean.

My fenders help a fair bit but don't keep everything off the deck. I like them in winter too.

Hope the pics help.
Thank you for the pictures, they are very helpful. I also thought they would be great during the winter keeping snow,salt, and sand off the machine a little better.

I thought he passed on a X700...now is looking at a X540. I thought their was a pretty big difference in price between those...like $2000.00? Maybe he can afford the X540 and not the X700? 2 Grand buys a lot of diapers:fing32:

And why is it up to you/us to decide what he should spend his money on? Thats between him and his wife...

Exactly, couldn't have responded better myself. Originally wanted the X540 (when I bought my 155C I knew I wanted the X540 some day), then the X740/8 but the X540 is more realistic and comfortable while being new parents. I would love to have an X540 with front fenders but I dont think it will be possible. I figured this forum would be the place to ask, and if it has been done someone would speak up. If it has not been done, it may get the creative X540 owners thinking.

I see no problem in asking a question that came to mind BEFORE I make the purchase (that wont be until next fall-2011 at the earliest).

Yes Pops, we did just have a child. Our priorities are in the right place but who are you to ask and respond to my post with out answering with valid input to the original question? You are correct, wether I buy a new JD garden tractor today or years from now, I am still curious if the X700 series fenders will fit the X540, if others have done this or thought about it.:trink39:

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
You got a year till a different mower, I'm sure I ain't the only one that finds it unusual to ask a question 12 months out ::biglaugh:sorry1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts