My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any sugggestions? There is some slop in the pedals when in the "neutral" position. It actually goes faster in reverse.

Can't get the bolts on the pedals below the floorboard to break loose to adjust them. Looks like they are already adjusted so they are at the highest point.

Checked the hydro oil under the seat, it appears to be overfull. It is clean, but way past the full mark. checked it both cold and warm.

The guys that worked for the landscape company I bought it from, said it ran fine. They sent it into JD for service and it goes slower than it did when they took it in.

next step is to take it to dealer in late winter to have it completely gone through.

Hope you guys can help!

thanks!

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
I'm far from a hydro expert but I have seen travel limit bolts on the linkages of some. Like a small stove bolt with a wingnut that you can loosen & adjust so that the linkage only travels so far. The last hydro wheelhorse I had, the PO had it set to barely crawl in reverse 'cause his wife kept backing into things when mowing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
tooldad,

I have been following your posts about the X700. Congratulations on the great deal.

The directional pedals have adjustment, directly underneath the RH footwell.

The forward pedal (#15) will pivot on #18 by loosening the two nuts and bolts (#16 & #17). Make sure the pedal extends to its maximum height above the footwell.

If the above does not remedy your problem, you likely have a problem with the remaining linkage to the hydro. I am confident that your problem is external from the hydro because of your reverse speed. Good luck!

The image above was borrowed from JDParts.com . This is the official parts website for John Deere. The website will show the exploded parts view of any JD equipment. Very handy! You may need to register and select your dealer.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I lot of the items in the Tech Manual, related to movement, mention "Check free-wheeling linkage". I winder if the dealer moved it when it was in the shop and some how it never got fully back to the non-free wheeling setting.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Checked the hydro oil under the seat, it appears to be overfull. It is clean, but way past the full mark. checked it both cold and warm.
Probably is not causing the slowness but you will want to drain some out if it continues to be overfull after using it. If not, it will start leaking out.

Good luck, hopefully it is something simple. :trink39:

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there supposed to be some "slop" in the pedal? I can pull it up another half inch, but it falls right back.

the tech manual says the forward pedal should be 4" up and the reverse 2 1/2"

Both pedals are about the same height from floorboard when in Neutral

Past adjusting the pedals I will need a step by step if anyone is willing to help????

I can give step by step on how to build anything out of wood to cabinets. Willing to trade tech advise!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Part #40 to 49 are the linkage going to the transaxle, it is adjustable too, I suspect that you have worn parts in the area, 950 hours ....

It's hard for me to explain, but try to find lousse between parts of the mechanism of the pedal from the transaxle to the pedal itself.

If you can take pictures and post them so I can help you with the process.

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. I adjusted Part #41.

Got it to go forward faster, but at the expense of reverse speed. For mowing, I will adjust it back to where it was.

Is there any way, short of cutting and extending the reverse pedal to get both speed on forward and reverse? That was the issue with the 425-455 series.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Update. I adjusted Part #41.

Got it to go forward faster, but at the expense of reverse speed. For mowing, I will adjust it back to where it was.

Is there any way, short of cutting and extending the reverse pedal to get both speed on forward and reverse? That was the issue with the 425-455 series.
I thought it had been going too fast in reverse. If so wouldn't slowing down reverse to improve forward speed be what you wanted?:dunno:

·
Registered
415 Posts
The travel speed should be 8.5 mph forward and 5.0 mph in reverse. This is from the John Deere X700, X720, X724, X728, X729 owners manual.

The Hydro is not designed to run the same speed in forward and reverse.

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reverse speed the way it was set was what I expected, and about the same as my 425. It is now slower than I can walk. The forward speed, I would have to jog to keep up with. So it is great for snow removal. No I do not go ramming snow piles or try to move too much, it is what I expect to travel speed wise.

I guess I will have to calculate some distances and put some markers out and time between the markers since I don't have a radar gun.

I still think there is something loose since there is slop in the pedal when in neutral position. as STLADRILL said, probably something worn out.

Does anyone else with an x7 series have slop in the pedal?

·
Registered
415 Posts
by adjusting part # 41, you have changed the balance of the travel that is split between forward and reverse. If you have the tech manual, I would suggest that part # 41 be adjusted as stated in the manual. This should provide you with a faster forward speed then reverse speed, there is a sweet spot to this adjustment. my X728 forward pedal has about 1" of free play and the reverse paddle has about 2" of free play. So they have a good bit of play. I have checked my forward and reverse speeds with a handheld GPS unit and it showed forward and reverse speeds close enough to what the operators manual states for me not to worry about it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:sorry1: I'm not much help on this but I bought a JD tech repair cd off ebay for my X475 for around $12 shipped. Has all the info the tech book would have. very easy to use. Nice clear up close pics as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.