My Tractor Forum banner

X700 Back Firing etc..

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Avanti 
#1 ·
My X700(70hrs,10/07 new) just starting acting up.It idles wierd like it is hunting kinda like ehh ehh ehh( like high low sorta) not miss firing.Then all the sudden bam!! Back fires.

The tractor was all serviced by me a couple weeks ago.Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter hoping that would solve my problem.At first it seemed better but after it idled for awhile it starting acting up again.The plugs are still original.I pulled one and it did not to good,had fuel own it sorta black.Not happy John Deere Dealer is far from my House.

I guess I should replace the plugs and drain the gas out.I can't believe it is the gas though.Guy at parts counter when I got the fuel filter said sounds like bad gas or filter.I think it is the carb or something.Any help or advice would be welcome,Thank You..Thanks Vets Happy Memorial Day

#2 ·
Sounds more electrical to me (ignition). If you pulled a plug and it was wet like it had fuel on it, means that cylinder isn't firing, at least regularly. You get a buildup of unburned gas in the cylinder and exhaust, where the piston finally pushes the excess gas to, and then if you get a spark, all that gas suddenly burns-----BAM! a backfire.

Try new plugs, though I can't figure why they would need replacement after only 70 hrs. Make sure the plug caps are firmly seated on the plug tip and that the plugs are properly gapped. Does this 'hunting' and backfiring occur at all rpm ranges, or just at lower speeds?

Once you have new plugs in place, if it still does the same thing, disconnect the plug wire to the cylinder you originally pulled the plug on and see if it sounds the same when you start it. Replace that plug wire and remove the other one, see how it sounds that way. It's possible you've got a bad plug wire and are getting intermittent spark to one or the other cylinder. I'm not familiar with the Kawa twins to know if the spark plug wires can be replaced or whether they are part of the ignition coil.

Ask this question over in the Backyard Roundtable forum. lots of X7xx owners there. Mine's diesel so I don't even have spark plugs. Good luck, I know it's aggravating to have an almost new machine,and have a problem with no dealer nearby to help.

#4 ·
Thank You for the replies,

Well I changed the plugs and one plug looks bad and the other is pretty good.After I put the plugs in I could run the tractor in high with the PTO engaged and it would not hunt or Back fire.Soon as I turn the PTO off and lower the throttle(like when I empty the power flow bags) it will back fire(not as bad as before).

KHodges nailed it on the head.The cylinder on the left(when in the seat,drivers side) is the problem.Fuel is collecting in the cylinder.Well I guess I will call the dealer on Monday and have them pick it up.They have mobile service too ,so maybe he can check it here.It has to be the plug wire,igniter, carb or god for bid...Bad valve or low compression.

This tractor never seemed right from day one.Hard to start when cold after sitting(heated garage too).It idles like 69 GTO with a Big Cam,is the best way to describe it.Oh well ,hopefully the dealer will resolve it under warranty. I had a 1250 Cub for 31 years and never had one problem except the screen in the gas tank got clogged once.Everybody says I should of kept it.But I wanted a new tractor with hydro lift for the plow and a bagger etc.

Have nice weekend.. Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.