My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pick up 4 suitcase weights at my friendly neighborhood dealer, and the $28 precision manufactured rod to hold them in place. There must be something that makes a 1/4 round piece of steel that expensive.

I hang all 4 weights on the front bracket and the rod will not pass through. I took two weights off and was able to tilt the remaining two up and get the rod through, but it would take a jack and a lot of cussing to tilt all 4 up and get that rod in. This is false advertising, there is nothing quick in these "quick tatch" weights!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

· Registered
573 Posts
I agree.. had the same issue. I had to get someone to help and lift the weights to make it fit and then you have to put the pins on the insides of the frame bracket to hold the rod in place. Mine fits so tight the rod is arched when it's all in place. Nothing quick or easy about it.

· Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
Just get a rubber mallet after a year or two the rod will form a bend in it and you be able to just tap it in with a mallet I had to to do what maverick did I was able to do it by myself Now it 2nd nature to just tap it in with a Mallet Your pushing down and forward with the Pin and Lifting the last three weights up with your other arm just get the tip in there and hit it home with the Mallet. It will get easier over time.:thThumbsU

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
12,406 Posts
I was totally unaware that I might be in danger of throwing a weight off my GX335 with nothing but gravity holding 'em in place! Front or back, I never had one even remotely try and get away... but of course, I don't jump berms when I'm using the tractor either.:D

· Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Etc02,

If I had a mill in the basement I'd gladly make them for fellow MTF'rs. Unfortunately I do not, I had my co worker mill mine for me. He's not looking for government jobs, he hooks me up because we go way back.

I have $9.00 tied up in mine but you still need to jack the weights up to get the pin through. When the pin is through on mine, they are TIGHT! They can not bounce up and down (made my pin the same size as the hole, which is 5/8" if memory serves me).

To get my weights on, I have a plank of pine I lay on the jack that will tilt all four weights up, the bar slides right through, I let the jack down and put the K pins on the ends.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I guess Deere must have changed the castings [or forgings?] of the weights and the guys doing the front weight brackets did not get the memo.

· Registered
289 Posts
Yes this is the same problem I talked about some time ago. Deere knows of the issue...but their answer is to grind down the weights like I did.

The issue is in where the holes are placed on the tractor...not the weights themselves.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Etc02,

If I had a mill in the basement I'd gladly make them for fellow MTF'rs. Unfortunately I do not, I had my co worker mill mine for me. He's not looking for government jobs, he hooks me up because we go way back.

I have $9.00 tied up in mine but you still need to jack the weights up to get the pin through. When the pin is through on mine, they are TIGHT! They can not bounce up and down (made my pin the same size as the hole, which is 5/8" if memory serves me).

To get my weights on, I have a plank of pine I lay on the jack that will tilt all four weights up, the bar slides right through, I let the jack down and put the K pins on the ends.

Thank you Brett, It says a lot about you that you wouldn't hesitate to make them if you had the equipment. :trink40:

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes this is the same problem I talked about some time ago. Deere knows of the issue...but their answer is to grind down the weights like I did.

The issue is in where the holes are placed on the tractor...not the weights themselves.

You are right that grinding is the best solution. On the other hand, after spending $45 per weight it bothers me that I would have to grind and paint 4 of them. Also, if I use the weights in the back when snowblowing, or in the future if I buy another tractor, will they be loose and bang around? Probably not, but I would prefer not to alter them.

Ideally, Deere would come up with a modified fastener for the front weights. That does not seem to be high on their priority list, so I think I will just go with Sergeant"s solution and live with a bent pin.

· Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
I guess I should of said the rod will have a slight bow in it after a few years of using it not really a bend. I have my weights and Brusch guard mounted at the same time at least deere did make notches in the Brusch Guard for the suitcase weight pin.:thThumbsU

· Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
etc,

Someday I will have a mill in the basement and then I will be able to do this kind of stuff! For pete's sakes I went to school for machining! :)

If you want a blueprint of the pin I designed let me know and I will take the measurements again and draw you guys up a blue print that you can use as reference if you want to make or get made, a pin that actually works.. And the hardware stores like Ace Hardware actually sell the raw materials.

· ____________________
527 Posts
I was totally unaware that I might be in danger of throwing a weight off my GX335 with nothing but gravity holding 'em in place! Front or back, I never had one even remotely try and get away... but of course, I don't jump berms when I'm using the tractor either.:D
:ditto:

42lbs is a lot of weight. Sounds like a job for a good strong
bungee cord (if you're worried about it).

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.