My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a warning about JD's warranty. I bought an X390 from a guy and brought it home to use as my own mower. It has been good except for the head-snapping jerk when taking my foot off of the reverse pedal. I called mu JD dealer to ask about getting a new shock without having to bring it in during mowing season and they told me to call corporate JD. I did and they told me that the warranty is no good because I didn't have the name of the original owner. What? It had three years of warranty left on it but that was their final verdict. Beware. If you buy a newer mower from someone, get their original paperwork if they still have it or you can kiss the leftover warranty goodbye. They built and they have the serial number but they will not warranty it because of some ridiculous reason to void the warranty.

Inspector...that's odd that you found that. I'm working at a Deere dealer in the parts dept and can lookup Warranty Reports based on a vin. Per our service manager the warranty follows the machine, and has nothing to do with who owns it.

I can look up most machines by vin and it's easy to see who the original owner, delivery date etc etc. To my knowledge that information isn't something that shouldn't be available to the current owner if they are asking for it.

BillBoost37 is that a specific policy or is your manager getting it straight from Deere? I am reading the warranty information and the first paragraph states:

GENERAL PROVISIONS – The warranties described below are provided by Deere & Company (“John Deere”) to the original purchaser of new Turf & Utility Equipment (“Equipment”) from John Deere or authorized John Deere dealers. Under these warranties, John Deere will repair or replace, at its option, any covered part which is found to be defective in material or workmanship during the applicable warranty term. Warranty service must be performed by a dealer or service center authorized by John Deere to sell and/or service the type of Equipment involved, which will use only new or remanufactured parts or components furnished by John Deere. Warranty service will be performed without charge to the purchaser for parts or labor. The purchaser will be responsible, however, for any service call and/or transportation of product to and from the dealer’s or service center’s place of business, for any premium charged for overtime labor requested by the purchaser, and for any service and/or maintenance not directly related to any defect covered under the warranties below. These warranties are transferable, provided an authorized John Deere dealer is notified of the ownership change, and John Deere approves the transfer.

I am guessing that's where corporate left it and maybe the dealer needs to step in to fix this issue? Since tractors aren't titled, I can see how corporate would get fidgety about dealing with second had units, but maybe the dealer can solve the issue as yours clearly does.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok well evidently via our John Deere rep and John Deere, there have been others with this same issue within the past couple of years. But rather than replacing the transmission, they require another trans shock to be installed to see if that fixes the problem. They've already replaced mine but Deere wants to replace it once again...what a freaking joke.

So I was lied to yet again but I'm not surprised anymore. The dealership has had my x590 for 2 months now and have done nothing but get it out every now and then to drive it around and nothing else. So they're going to replace the shock again and want me to try it yet again. When I asked "what if this doesn't work" they had no answer. I asked about the other owners who had the same issues and their outcomes and was told they can't give me that info...are you freaking serious!!!

Once again John Deere can take the warranty and shove it you know where. Absolutely worthless warranty and quite frankly basically the company in general. I guess I just need to drain most of the trans fluid out and purposely ruin the transmission. Evidently that's what it'll take to get some legitimate action.

The dealership manager knows something is wrong, the service manager knows something is wrong, the Deere service rep knows something is wrong, Deere knows something is wrong and instead of addressing the problem properly...which would cost them more money, let's just keep replacing the shock absorber and hope for a different outcome somehow.
I shudder to mention this because I have seen the discussions devolve when this is raised, but have you considered the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act? May not hurt to talk to someone with experience dealing with warranty issues especially considering the price of the machine . . . .

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What really ****** me off is being lied too by my service manager. He told me that he personally would take this to a whole nother level months ago if I still had problems after they replaced the shock. I was completely floored when I learned that nothing has been done other than them driving this thing around every so often the past 2 months. **** I could've done that but that wasn't the agreement.

They told me to try it and if it acted up which it did after the new shock was installed to call and tell them which I did. They told me to continue to use it (even with the problem) until I knew I was done for the season which I did then make the call to have it picked up. I even spent the time to remove the deck and clean the tractor up so they had a nice clean unit (without a deck attached) to work on.

I don't know... I guess I'll just try it again because I don't have much choice really but I know the first time out this season, it's going to act up and I'll have to go through this again with no clear end game by the dealer nor Deere. And of course it'll be the start of the mowing season so that's just wonderful too which is why the dealer was going to address this in the off season.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know... I guess I'll just try it again because I don't have much choice really but I know the first time out this season, it's going to act up and I'll have to go through this again with no clear end game by the dealer nor Deere. And of course it'll be the start of the mowing season so that's just wonderful too which is why the dealer was going to address this in the off season.
I hear you, I would be just as teed off if I were in your shoes. It seems to be the trend that service departments throw new parts at problems rather than taking the time to figure out the cause of the failure. Seems we are at the whims of how the product is assembled -- some get lucky and have no issues and then there are those in your situation. I really do hope you got unlucky with two bad shocks and the third is the charm.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I hear you, I would be just as teed off if I were in your shoes. It seems to be the trend that service departments throw new parts at problems rather than taking the time to figure out the cause of the failure. Seems we are at the whims of how the product is assembled -- some get lucky and have no issues and then there are those in your situation. I really do hope you got unlucky with two bad shocks and the third is the charm.
Thanks and maybe the third one will work but won't be holding my breath. Even a tuff torq tech thinks it's internal but that fell on deaf ears evidently. And if what the store manager said about this being a know problem is true. It just goes to show you that just because you don't see it on these forums doesn't mean they don't exist.

I mean at least when I had my Scag and the starter issues, Scag, the service rep and the dealer told me that their was no clear fix and it was a known issue not just limited to the liberty z. Yeah not happy to hear that but at least they told me the truth. I can't get anything on this deal which leaves a lot of doubts for the near future. Maybe I should go by another x590 and piece together the perfect x590 lol. I'm trying to figure out the service managers sudden change with regards to his mindset.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I mean at least when I had my Scag and the starter issues, Scag, the service rep and the dealer told me that their was no clear fix and it was a known issue not just limited to the liberty z. Yeah not happy to hear that but at least they told me the truth. I can't get anything on this deal which leaves a lot of doubts for the near future. Maybe I should go by another x590 and piece together the perfect x590 lol. I'm trying to figure out the service managers sudden change with regards to his mindset.
And it may just be the dealer not willing to assert himself to the reginal rep. I know from other contexts, that dealer support makes a world of difference on warranty issues. I have a motorcycle dealer that is unbelievable in scratching out good will coverage and support for its regular customers, while the other dealer in the area couldn't care less about getting coverage (they are going to get paid either way, so they just don't care about helping out). It's possible they are leaning towards an internal issue with the transmission (most likely a build defect since although this is known issue, it doesn't seem to be a common one) and decided it wasn't worth their effort to push for the fix? Maybe? (pure speculation on my part).

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
And it may just be the dealer not willing to assert himself to the reginal rep. I know from other contexts, that dealer support makes a world of difference on warranty issues. I have a motorcycle dealer that is unbelievable in scratching out good will coverage and support for its regular customers, while the other dealer in the area couldn't care less about getting coverage (they are going to get paid either way, so they just don't care about helping out). It's possible they are leaning towards an internal issue with the transmission (most likely a build defect since although this is known issue, it doesn't seem to be a common one) and decided it wasn't worth their effort to push for the fix? Maybe? (pure speculation on my part).
I feel they know it's internal and they were able to replicate the problem last time. I mean they came and picked it up and I've left them alone until I called late last week so they could do whatever they needed to do and not have me calling and bugging them. At minimum, the transmission needs to be repaired and/or replaced no question. Tuff torq has rebuild kits for these things I'm certain?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
These warranties are transferable, provided an authorized John Deere dealer is notified of the ownership change, and John Deere approves the transfer.

What the heck does that mean? We have to call JD corporate and ask them to approve the purchase of a used JD? If I were a rich man I would sue the h88l out of them! Billboost, if I show the serial number here can you tell me who the original owner was? Maybe if I have that I can get the local dealer to repair mine under the infamous 4 year JD warranty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What the heck does that mean? We have to call JD corporate and ask them to approve the purchase of a used JD?
I suspect that if you buy a used tractor that is under warranty the local dealer takes care of the transferring bit since it appears you have to start with the notification of an authorized dealer. From my understanding, the dealer takes care of the warranty registration process on all new units, so if you buy used, notify the dealer and they should be taking the steps to get the transfer completed? (maybe someone on here has some experience with that). It's concerning that your dealer told you to start with corporate when the warranty document establishes that the first step is notifying the local dealer. I am not reading that to mean you have to do it ahead of the sale, just to notify them off the sale.

·
motorcycle cowboy
846 Posts
I bought a used x750 that was still under warranty. I went to my local JD dealer and got a warranty transfer form. I completed this form which has the model and serial number of the machine and also the previous owners and my information. The previous owner signed and dated the form. I then took said warranty transfer form back to my dealer and he submitted the info to JD corporate. I had no problems getting warranty work done at my dealer. It's that easy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought a used x750 that was still under warranty. I went to my local JD dealer and got a warranty transfer form. I completed this form which has the model and serial number of the machine and also the previous owners and my information. The previous owner signed and dated the form. I then took said warranty transfer form back to my dealer and he submitted the info to JD corporate. I had no problems getting warranty work done at my dealer. It's that easy.
Thanks! That's the information I was hoping for. That answers my question of whether it needs to occur before the sale.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sorry for being so late. The service manager had merely told me that the warranty follows the machine. I'm not sure why Deere wouldn't recognize the warranty if they are willing to after a form is filled out lol.

Do you want to know any details on your machine? PM me the vin and I can look it up.

·
motorcycle cowboy
846 Posts
Sorry for being so late. The service manager had merely told me that the warranty follows the machine. I'm not sure why Deere wouldn't recognize the warranty if they are willing to after a form is filled out lol.

Do you want to know any details on your machine? PM me the vin and I can look it up.

The warranty does follow the machine if the proper procedures are followed. I'm sure JD won't recognize the warranty without the form being submitted. It's there game and they make the rules.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well it's back home again finally. No clue if the original problem is fixed yet though I doubt it, but now it has another issue. Ok they claimed they installed another new shock on the transmission. Two things I noticed is one, it sure didn't look brand new and two, it's missing the boot. They say they touched nothing else but now when I let off the reverse pedal, it'll snap my head back because it stops so fast and abruptly....not good. Is there a adjustment they touched either on the transmission case or in the pedals? When going forward, it will coast to a stop barely and reverse is too sudden and harsh. It wasn't like this before.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No boot? Then it's a damaged or used shock. Tell them they didn't fix the problem and you want the shock replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well it's back home again finally. No clue if the original problem is fixed yet though I doubt it, but now it has another issue. Ok they claimed they installed another new shock on the transmission. Two things I noticed is one, it sure didn't look brand new and two, it's missing the boot.
This is what a new one should look like.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This is what a new one should look like.

View attachment 2446891
I'll post a picture of it later. No dust boot and on both ends where it mounts, bare metal from wear or something. Doesn't look like a week old part. And they only put 20 minutes run time on my x590 the past 2 months...you know because they went above and beyond to address the original issue.

Here's a video of a x534 and this is what mine does now in reverse, even going slow

·
Registered
475 Posts
Shock, shock, shock. Very common.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I removed the "new" shock and it stops abruptly in both directions now. I went ahead and checked the netural adjustment and other linkages and all looks normal there. I still think there's a issue in the transmission though. The power steering feels maybe 50-60% of what it did when I first bought it. Even with the front wheels off the ground, the steering isn't as effortless as it once was. I kinda feels like it either has some resistance or not getting enough pressure. I greased the front suspension components but no change. So I bleed the transmission according to tuff torq and still no change.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts