My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh and that black plastic piece has nothing to do with the cruise control from what I saw. As you push down on the cruise bottom, the metal rod goes down and rotates a metal arm up which engages a 2nd arm (part of the forward pedal right next to the frame) that has teeth on it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Still waiting from the dealer for a update. They were able to duplicate the issue. Last I heard, they are replacing the transmission shock at a minimum. They are trying to figure out what's going on with the drive belt melting that plastic piece on the linkage.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok I finally got my x590 back today. They replaced the shock on the transmission. They told me that the belt hitting that plastic piece is normal and of no concern? I haven't tried it yet but I do have a question. It appears that the shock may have been installed upside down but I can't remember. Can someone look and see if the dust boot is on top or bottom?

·
Premium Member
6,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Super Moderator
28,893 Posts
Great! I've found that they have to work on so many machines so quickly that you have to really check them out when you get them back from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
My comment on your problem was going to be linkage. The fact that the belt is rubbing that plastic part tells us that something is amiss under there. Why is the belt that close to the linkage? Is there a guide somewhere that is not being engaged by the belt? JD is famous for its little guides. I would chalk the whole issue up to the belt routing and rubbing. Let the dealer handle it. The belt and plastic part BOTH need to be replaced by the dealer at the least.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Installed the one touch mulching kit last night. When out today for the first time and within 15 mins the problem starts yet again.

·
motorcycle cowboy
846 Posts
Installed the one touch mulching kit last night. When out today for the first time and within 15 mins the problem starts yet again.
I feel for ya' man I really do. After I acquired my used x750, I absolutely hated the way that it mowed. That's the reason I bought the Scag. Funny thing is with the power flow on, it mows pretty good. I wish you luck with this.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok I talked to the service manager today and here's where we stand. Since the mowing season is pretty much done and all I really need the tractor for is mulching up leaves every now and then, I'm going to keep it until I know I'm done using it for the year. Then I'm gonna make the call and they'll come get it and take this to the next level in finding the issue.

The dealership and the service manager has been great to work with so far and I'm confident they'll figure this out one way or another. So yes I'm bummed that I'm having issues but it is what it is for now.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Good luck big dog.
I hope your dealer gets to the bottom of it.
Please keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My x500 has the K72 trans and the only time I experience that forward pedal push back you described, is if I've left the clutch pedal locked via the orange paddle being in the "up" position on the dash. It whines, and struggles to move.

Sounds like some linkage is just not quite right, maybe slipping a bit and making the trans get partly into its parked mode?

Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Ok well evidently via our John Deere rep and John Deere, there have been others with this same issue within the past couple of years. But rather than replacing the transmission, they require another trans shock to be installed to see if that fixes the problem. They've already replaced mine but Deere wants to replace it once again...what a freaking joke.

So I was lied to yet again but I'm not surprised anymore. The dealership has had my x590 for 2 months now and have done nothing but get it out every now and then to drive it around and nothing else. So they're going to replace the shock again and want me to try it yet again. When I asked "what if this doesn't work" they had no answer. I asked about the other owners who had the same issues and their outcomes and was told they can't give me that info...are you freaking serious!!!

Once again John Deere can take the warranty and shove it you know where. Absolutely worthless warranty and quite frankly basically the company in general. I guess I just need to drain most of the trans fluid out and purposely ruin the transmission. Evidently that's what it'll take to get some legitimate action.

The dealership manager knows something is wrong, the service manager knows something is wrong, the Deere service rep knows something is wrong, Deere knows something is wrong and instead of addressing the problem properly...which would cost them more money, let's just keep replacing the shock absorber and hope for a different outcome somehow.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Just a warning about JD's warranty. I bought an X390 from a guy and brought it home to use as my own mower. It has been good except for the head-snapping jerk when taking my foot off of the reverse pedal. I called mu JD dealer to ask about getting a new shock without having to bring it in during mowing season and they told me to call corporate JD. I did and they told me that the warranty is no good because I didn't have the name of the original owner. What? It had three years of warranty left on it but that was their final verdict. Beware. If you buy a newer mower from someone, get their original paperwork if they still have it or you can kiss the leftover warranty goodbye. They built and they have the serial number but they will not warranty it because of some ridiculous reason to void the warranty.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Just a warning about JD's warranty. I bought an X390 from a guy and brought it home to use as my own mower. It has been good except for the head-snapping jerk when taking my foot off of the reverse pedal. I called mu JD dealer to ask about getting a new shock without having to bring it in during mowing season and they told me to call corporate JD. I did and they told me that the warranty is no good because I didn't have the name of the original owner. What? It had three years of warranty left on it but that was their final verdict. Beware. If you buy a newer mower from someone, get their original paperwork if they still have it or you can kiss the leftover warranty goodbye. They built and they have the serial number but they will not warranty it because of some ridiculous reason to void the warranty.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Inspector...that's odd that you found that. I'm working at a Deere dealer in the parts dept and can lookup Warranty Reports based on a vin. Per our service manager the warranty follows the machine, and has nothing to do with who owns it.

I can look up most machines by vin and it's easy to see who the original owner, delivery date etc etc. To my knowledge that information isn't something that shouldn't be available to the current owner if they are asking for it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ok well evidently via our John Deere rep and John Deere, there have been others with this same issue within the past couple of years. But rather than replacing the transmission, they require another trans shock to be installed to see if that fixes the problem. They've already replaced mine but Deere wants to replace it once again...what a freaking joke.

So I was lied to yet again but I'm not surprised anymore. The dealership has had my x590 for 2 months now and have done nothing but get it out every now and then to drive it around and nothing else. So they're going to replace the shock again and want me to try it yet again. When I asked "what if this doesn't work" they had no answer. I asked about the other owners who had the same issues and their outcomes and was told they can't give me that info...are you freaking serious!!!

Once again John Deere can take the warranty and shove it you know where. Absolutely worthless warranty and quite frankly basically the company in general. I guess I just need to drain most of the trans fluid out and purposely ruin the transmission. Evidently that's what it'll take to get some legitimate action.

The dealership manager knows something is wrong, the service manager knows something is wrong, the Deere service rep knows something is wrong, Deere knows something is wrong and instead of addressing the problem properly...which would cost them more money, let's just keep replacing the shock absorber and hope for a different outcome somehow.
I cant believe the bad luck you've had with John Deere's- hope it works out for you, sucks you have to go thru this-- hard to be the big dog in the sub division if your tractor doesnt work ;)

21 - 40 of 65 Posts