My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back after taking a break. I sold my Scag sometime back but I did replace with a brand new x590 with a 48 inch deck and hdap tires. It is nice to be back on a garden tractor again. Anyways at around 8 hrs or so, it developed a interment issue. It now has 13 hrs and still acting very odd. I've never ran into this before and really haven't found anything similar on the forum when I looked.

Ok so this usually takes about 30 min's or so before anything happens....if it does it at all that day. So I mow stripes back and forth and the thing is while backing up to set up for the next row when I lift off the reverse pedal, it still feels like I'm slightly on the pedal/or freewheeling kinda but not really. And this just happens suddenly. I can either wait for the tractor to completely come to a stop or not doesn't matter for the next part.

This next part is 90% going to happen when I feel what i feel with the reverse deal btw. Ok so I go to hit the forward pedal but it has resistance of some sort and maybe half the speed. The harder I push the pedal the more it fights back. Kinda like if I had the parking brake set type of feel but can still push the pedal. I can go to the next row, hit reverse and everything may act normal again or not....I never know. This could happen once a month or a handful of times within a hour then nothing more the rest of the day. Absolutely no consistency or reason to what's going on.

I've felt the transmission and it only gets warm, never hot enough to where I can't touch it so it's not overheating. Fluid is clear and clean and at the right level. I did try removing the shock absorber to see if that was the cause but it's just too jerky for me to tell with it unhooked. I've pulled the deck twice now to check the linkage and all looks normal. Ambient air temp doesn't appear to be a factor nor does whether I have the throttle set at Max or around 3/4 throttle.

So the main reason I haven't called my dealer is because they are located in the city and have a very small area to run equipment. That coupled with how erratic this issue is still, I have serious doubts that it will acting up while they have it. So I guess I'm asking for any thoughts on what else to check and or how to go about getting this resolved with the dealer that about a hour away. That and has anyone by chance seen or heard about what I'm trying to decribe?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe someone with more experience can chime in, but the dealer will be able to look at all the linkages and static positioning of the pedals and such to determine if everything is set properly. It may be worth the call at least, to ask this question and to start getting this placed in the record for the warranty.

When you say that it feels like you are still in reverse a bit, that sounds like neutral creep and reverse isn't fully disengaging. Are you getting top speeds in both directions normally? What is the height of the forward and reverse pedals (it should be 1.75-2" on forward and 1.5-1.75" on reverse)? Any transmission noises while this is happening? What happens if you release the forward pedal when you feel it not going right and then re-engage the forward pedal without hitting reverse or the brake? Have you tried hitting the brake when you feel the issue coming on before you engage the forward pedal?

With a new machine like this, though, the first place to start is the warranty and to see if the dealer can help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It may be worth the call at least, to ask this question and to start getting this placed in the record for the warranty.

With a new machine like this, though, the first place to start is the warranty and to see if the dealer can help.
This x1000. Get the dealer involved. You paid for and expected a brand new and therefore correctly functioning tractor and that is not what you currently have, so it's on the dealer to make it right. If they can't reproduce the problem at their dealership, see if they have a technician that can come to your location and check it out there. Part of the purchase cost of your tractor was for the warranty, so not taking advantage of it is just wasting money.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pedal height is good. No noises really. When the forward pedal becomes stiff, you can hear a slight whine but not horrible. Yes I've stopped without hitting reverse. Sometimes it "fixes" it and sometimes it does not. I have not hit the brake yet but will do that next time. Regarding speed there is a very, very slight drop in speed and pedal response from cold start to warmed up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pedal height is good. No noises really. When the forward pedal becomes stiff, you can hear a slight whine but not horrible. Yes I've stopped without hitting reverse. Sometimes it "fixes" it and sometimes it does not. I have not hit the brake yet but will do that next time. Regarding speed there is a very, very slight drop in speed and pedal response from cold start to warmed up.
I just bought a x590, so my perceptions are limited, but I've never noticed a difference in top speed between hot and cold. I'd get the dealer involved with this. You're near the end of grass season and if your using for winter I'd want that sorted sooner rather than later and if not, least now is a good time to have it at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Congratulations bigdog on the x590, i remember you talking about maybe getting one 4 years ago. hahaha figures you get one and have a problem- you are batting about 100 % with new tractors hahahaha. Anyway something is wrong, should be no difference in speed between cold and warm up. Can you verify speed drop with an app ( many different free apps you can get on your phone) The only thing I can say is my fuel economy got better after engine break in around 20-25 hours

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations bigdog on the x590, i remember you talking about maybe getting one 4 years ago. hahaha figures you get one and have a problem- you are batting about 100 % with new tractors hahahaha. Anyway something is wrong, should be no difference in speed between cold and warm up. Can you verify speed drop with an app ( many different free apps you can get on your phone) The only thing I can say is my fuel economy got better after engine break in around 20-25 hours
What up Tony!!! Good to see you're still around. Man the speed drop is so minimum and that could be in my head. Now the initial feel or response to pedal input feels slightly mushy after awhile. Not bad but I can feel it. Other than this, I've been quite impressed especially with this Accel deck.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
What up Tony!!! Good to see you're still around. Man the speed drop is so minimum and that could be in my head. Now the initial feel or response to pedal input feels slightly mushy after awhile. Not bad but I can feel it. Other than this, I've been quite impressed especially with this Accel deck.
I suspect top speed isnt droping, what you are experiencing is ECU kicking in. As engine warms up RPM's ( less fuel more air) drop. Takes a while to get use to. I know when I am snow plowing a heavy load ( say 3 foot snow and ice at end of driveway) Engine RPM really kicks up to handle the load. My neighbor down the street is amazed- he has a 345 that bogs down when he hits that big pile and my X90 and ECU just kicks engine into another gear. Guys that use 590 and Tiller will see same thing. Anyway to verify yours most of the Speed ( GPS ) apps are accurate to a tenth of a mile an hour- so you can verify if its engine RPM going down or top speed is indeed reduced

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let us know what your top speed. I'd bet its more like UpstateTony mentioned below. The accel deck is much better than the edge deck, in my opinion.

I suspect top speed isnt droping, what you are experiencing is ECU kicking in. As engine warms up RPM's ( less fuel more air) drop. Takes a while to get use to. I know when I am snow plowing a heavy load ( say 3 foot snow and ice at end of driveway) Engine RPM really kicks up to handle the load. My neighbor down the street is amazed- he has a 345 that bogs down when he hits that big pile and my X90 and ECU just kicks engine into another gear. Guys that use 590 and Tiller will see same thing. Anyway to verify yours most of the Speed ( GPS ) apps are accurate to a tenth of a mile an hour- so you can verify if its engine RPM going down or top speed is indeed reduced
You can also have the tach appear in place of the hour meter while running to verify this, but I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let us know what your top speed. I'd bet its more like UpstateTony mentioned below. The accel deck is much better than the edge deck, in my opinion.

You can also have the tach appear in place of the hour meter while running to verify this, but I haven't tried that yet.
Rpm only drops at most 50 rpm once warmed up. Called the dealer and he's never heard of this. He's thinking maybe something with the swashplate? They're going to pick her up in a couple of days and try to figure out what's going on....hopefully.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'd also call the dealer to come out for free.

·
motorcycle cowboy
762 Posts
I'm back after taking a break. I sold my Scag sometime back but I did replace with a brand new x590 with a 48 inch deck and hdap tires. It is nice to be back on a garden tractor again. Anyways at around 8 hrs or so, it developed a interment issue. It now has 13 hrs and still acting very odd. I've never ran into this before and really haven't found anything similar on the forum when I looked.

Ok so this usually takes about 30 min's or so before anything happens....if it does it at all that day. So I mow stripes back and forth and the thing is while backing up to set up for the next row when I lift off the reverse pedal, it still feels like I'm slightly on the pedal/or freewheeling kinda but not really. And this just happens suddenly. I can either wait for the tractor to completely come to a stop or not doesn't matter for the next part.

This next part is 90% going to happen when I feel what i feel with the reverse deal btw. Ok so I go to hit the forward pedal but it has resistance of some sort and maybe half the speed. The harder I push the pedal the more it fights back. Kinda like if I had the parking brake set type of feel but can still push the pedal. I can go to the next row, hit reverse and everything may act normal again or not....I never know. This could happen once a month or a handful of times within a hour then nothing more the rest of the day. Absolutely no consistency or reason to what's going on.

I've felt the transmission and it only gets warm, never hot enough to where I can't touch it so it's not overheating. Fluid is clear and clean and at the right level. I did try removing the shock absorber to see if that was the cause but it's just too jerky for me to tell with it unhooked. I've pulled the deck twice now to check the linkage and all looks normal. Ambient air temp doesn't appear to be a factor nor does whether I have the throttle set at Max or around 3/4 throttle.

So the main reason I haven't called my dealer is because they are located in the city and have a very small area to run equipment. That coupled with how erratic this issue is still, I have serious doubts that it will acting up while they have it. So I guess I'm asking for any thoughts on what else to check and or how to go about getting this resolved with the dealer that about a hour away. That and has anyone by chance seen or heard about what I'm trying to decribe?

I'm still mowing with my Scag, and it's doing an excellent job. I'm surprised you went back to Deere.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I decided to go look one more time under the tractor before the dealer comes and picks it up. All the linkages are working properly from what I gathered. So after 30 min's of checking stuff, I had my wife start it up while I was under it so I could see if something jumped out to me.

What I've found is the drive belt wobbles and shakes really bad at certain rpms. Then I looked closer and found that there is a plastic piece on the pedal assembly under the foot rest. That plastic piece has clearly been melted somewhat by the belt slapping against it. So then I checked the rotation of the drive belt.

So with it running and if this is the issue which I think it may be, the belt hitting or rubbing the plastic piece on the foot controls could be what's causing the reverse creep at times. The rotation of the belt is going in the direction of the reverse pedal linkage (towards back of tractor). And vise versa for the forward pedal. As you push down, the linkage rotates forward possibly against the friction of the drive belt as it's slapping and melting that plastic piece.

Any thoughts on this causing the issues I posted...Creeping reverse, stiff pedal in forward, reduced forward speed? Fyi in the second picture, I'm pushing the belt against that black piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm, I can't find that part in the pedal linkage diagram in the manual. Its on the JD parts diagram called an "arm," with a torsion spring behind it. But I am not understanding its purpose unless it somehow aids the control arm to return to a neutral position? It looks like the "arm" does mount to the hydro control rod, so is that possible? That might at least be proof that this isn't in your head.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hmm, I can't find that part in the pedal linkage diagram in the manual. Its on the JD parts diagram called an "arm," with a torsion spring behind it. But I am not understanding its purpose unless it somehow aids the control arm to return to a neutral position? It looks like the "arm" does mount to the hydro control rod, so is that possible? That might at least be proof that this isn't in your head.
I believe what you are describing is #40 below. Agree, not sure what the purpose is. Perhaps someone with a X590 Technical Manual can check.

40 - Arm
Part NumberUC19590

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe what you are describing is #40 below. Agree, not sure what the purpose is. Perhaps someone with a X590 Technical Manual can check.

40 - Arm
Part NumberUC19590
I have the technical manual and it's not listed in the linkage diagram nor could I find a reference to it when installing or removing the pedals. It was early and I only had a couple cups of coffee, so I may have missed something.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have the technical manual and it's not listed in the linkage diagram nor could I find a reference to it when installing or removing the pedals. It was early and I only had a couple cups of coffee, so I may have missed something.
I'm sitting here studying the parts illustration. I think that little plastic gizmo is what releases the cruise control when you touch the forward pedal. You can probably verify this by engaging the cruise and then looking under there while you depress the forward pedal.

As for your original problem, have you checked the little black shock absorber located on the transaxle linkage? It is what dampens the forward and reverse pedals. If it was binding or had an issue it could effect the movement of the pedals.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sitting here studying the parts illustration. I think that little plastic gizmo is what releases the cruise control when you touch the forward pedal. You can probably verify this by engaging the cruise and then looking under there while you depress the forward pedal.

As for your original problem, have you checked the little black shock absorber located on the transaxle linkage? It is what dampens the forward and reverse pedals. If it was binding or had an issue it could effect the movement of the pedals.
I did unhook the shock to see about a month back. But the trans was way to sensitive and jerky with even minor pedal inputs. I mowed my yard once without it and it never acted up then reinstalled it. I do remember the next mow, I didn't have any issues but then it returned during the following time out again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts