My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Exactly!!!! Just another $$$
Well some of us are old enough to have seen $$’s made per year increase 8-10 times along with the cost of things too. $1000 isn’t what it used to be.

The older you get the easier it is to justify spending more, but then you weigh the cost of it against the pain it saves or the cost to have someone else do the job when you can’t because you pushed too far and it begins to look a lot less.

Besides, how much is fun worth or is it just a bonus? I can tell you, less pain is worth a ton to me.

By the way, if you could look in lower Ohio or Indiana, you would find more tractors available. It’s amazing how much bigger farmer’s lawns are than many other places. The same would be true in Iowa. Further South, people don’t have to worry as much about snow duty so if people aren’t doing gardening, they mainly are mowing so follows the availability of zero turns. Figure out what you want to do, then find a machine or machines that do all of that reasonably easily, then look for deals. If I had needed a FEL I would have chosen differently, probably not green. In my other cases, all I was concerned with was mowing. In one case, I needed to think about who else would use it and that made the choice to go with a good strong tractor. In another, I chose a commercial grade ZTR to keep the cost of operation lower. Just saying, keep an open mind.

I’ve been blessed to be able to have several alternatives, but others can’t. Each person’s circumstances are different just like what they want the machine to do.
Good points! I’ve expanded my search and have found some other options for used. The search continues....

·
Registered
28 Posts
A 2038 sounds like fun! Roll bars and all. Ironic my dad had a 210 as well back in the day. It was a tank.....

Should have kept my JD push mower. It was the most economical and I got a good workout with it....Ha!
Yeah, that’s what the 2038 would be..... most fun, messing around and helping neighbors. I have no real use for it. I originally wanted a 1025, but had no place to store it. The x758 was a very costly option that would fit in my garage between my two vehicles. Ironically, to make way for the x758 I ended up buying two large storage shelves. Had I had the foresight I could have fit the 1025 in the garage and put the bucked under the shelves.

Now I just need a storage option before I purchase a 2038.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Yeah, that’s what the 2038 would be..... most fun, messing around and helping neighbors. I have no real use for it. I originally wanted a 1025, but had no place to store it. The x758 was a very costly option that would fit in my garage between my two vehicles. Ironically, to make way for the x758 I ended up buying two large storage shelves. Had I had the foresight I could have fit the 1025 in the garage and put the bucked under the shelves.

Now I just need a storage option before I purchase a 2038.

Good luck with your decision.
The things we tell our wives why we need this (want)..Ha! I'm blessed with mine as she is not listening anyhow. Too busy on social media...what did you say...oh yeah go ahead. Can't remember when the bill comes on what she agreed too..... Life is good!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Here is a pic of my GT 225. Still looks pretty good for it’s age.
GT225 looks amazing. From your pictures, just wondering how you get it to repel water so well. If only your car could do the same, it too could last 18 years and look great. :sidelaugh

I was wondering why you would want a 48” deck? I know the Deere sight says that’s enough for the acreage, but it will really limit your options in your search. I found an X475, 60” deck, 180 hrs (? Pictures say it could be), with an MC519 MCS for $4800 if that might be of interest. I wasn’t posting anything about it until I got my Ztrac 757. It was just more than I wanted to spend, but the MCS is part of the price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
GT225 looks amazing. From your pictures, just wondering how you get it to repel water so well. If only your car could do the same, it too could last 18 years and look great. :sidelaugh

I was wondering why you would want a 48” deck? I know the Deere sight says that’s enough for the acreage, but it will really limit your options in your search. I found an X475, 60” deck, 180 hrs (? Pictures say it could be), with an MC519 MCS for $4800 if that might be of interest. I wasn’t posting anything about it until I got my Ztrac 757. It was just more than I wanted to spend, but the MCS is part of the price.
I would go far a 54 inch used. New I'd order with a 48. My yard has a lot to trim around and just like the size of the 48 overall. Don't know if I've ever seen a X730 with a 48? I know that doesn't make any sense.

Also I use the spray detailer on my GT a few times a year and it helps that it lives in a garage.

I've taken good care of it. Rebuilt the deck a couple years ago with all new spindles etc. Sound very quite running. My neighbor purchased the same GT 3-4 years after I got mine and he blew his up 4 years ago. Crazy!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I would go far a 54 inch used. New I'd order with a 48. My yard has a lot to trim around and just like the size of the 48 overall.
I had a 54" that came with my X748 when purchased new. The property I moved to and now live at has more trees to mow around than the last one. I upgraded to a 62" as it does a better job getting close to things (curves in landscaping or beds around trees) and under youngish pines. The deck being wider and protruding past the tires helps and reduces the uncut area left in a tight circle. I would think a 48" would be the opposite but handy for narrow spots (which I do not have).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my x500 but if I had it to do over again I would get a 7xx - assuming I could afford it - mower attachment is much easier on the 7xx as well as other things

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hello all!

I know this thread has been discussed a gazillion times, just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

Currently have a GT 225 that is 18 yrs old and still runs good and looks New. Maintenance on it is starting to point to replacement time.

The X590 is basically a replacement for my current GT, however I'm struggling with some of the quality of the machine compared to the X730. Example my GT has a heavy duty frame and overall heavy duty built compared to the X590.

The X730 has the heavy duty features that will last me a life time, it's just such a huge machine compared to the X590. I feel like the X730 is the best option for long term use.

My yard is only an acre with a 14% grade (very steep). My GT struggles to mow it especially in the spring when the grass is thick.

Leaning towards the X730, 48 inch deck (yes I know), possibilities would be a X738.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Your where I was 3 years ago. I had always had 345 or GX345 love them had 3 of them put around 7000 hour on 3 of them. Not want to or not being able to replace the GX345 I went looking. Wanted one that should last me for ever. I bought a x738 and all I can say is wow. It's like a billy goat on steroids it does everything very good Heavy duty is it's name can't stop it is what it does. And I got 0% for 5 years can't beat that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hello all!

I know this thread has been discussed a gazillion times, just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

Currently have a GT 225 that is 18 yrs old and still runs good and looks New. Maintenance on it is starting to point to replacement time.

The X590 is basically a replacement for my current GT, however I'm struggling with some of the quality of the machine compared to the X730. Example my GT has a heavy duty frame and overall heavy duty built compared to the X590.

The X730 has the heavy duty features that will last me a life time, it's just such a huge machine compared to the X590. I feel like the X730 is the best option for long term use.

My yard is only an acre with a 14% grade (very steep). My GT struggles to mow it especially in the spring when the grass is thick.

Leaning towards the X730, 48 inch deck (yes I know), possibilities would be a X738.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Your where I was 3 years ago. I had always had 345 or GX345 love them had 3 of them put around 7000 hour on 3 of them. Not want to or not being able to replace the GX345 I went looking. Wanted one that should last me for ever. I bought a x738 and all I can say is wow. It's like a billy goat on steroids it does everything very good Heavy duty is it's name can't stop it is what it does. And I got 0% for 5 years can't beat that.
Thank you for the insights! This is the feedback I was looking for.

2,083 Posts
You got 0 percent for 5 years, how much did you have to put down?

·
Registered
709 Posts
You got 0 percent for 5 years, how much did you have to put down?
They said only 10% but I didn't want $300 a month payments even at 0%. I put more down I put enough down to make my payment $150 a month. I put the amount I got for my GX345 down. When I sold that tractor I got $5000 for the tractor, a snowthrower, a front blade and a rear rototiller.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I got mine in September I didn't have to put anything down. I got the X738 with auto connect and the 54"HC deck. My payments are only $215 for 60 months.

·
motorcycle cowboy
765 Posts
I'm a bit late to this party but it looks like you haven't bought a tractor yet, so I would suggest since you are leaning towards the x7xx series to go with a diesel unit. The gas units are fine, but man do they suck the fuel. Diesel fuel is a lot easier to care for, no long term issues. The gas that we have nowadays starts to deteriorate in just a few weeks and can cause a lot of problems if left untreated. I have 9 gas engines here at home for various machines, trucks and motorcycles. It's easy to forget about one and not treat the fuel or run it dry. No problems with my diesel powered x750. Just my 2 cents.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts