My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I know this thread has been discussed a gazillion times, just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

Currently have a GT 225 that is 18 yrs old and still runs good and looks New. Maintenance on it is starting to point to replacement time.

The X590 is basically a replacement for my current GT, however I'm struggling with some of the quality of the machine compared to the X730. Example my GT has a heavy duty frame and overall heavy duty built compared to the X590.

The X730 has the heavy duty features that will last me a life time, it's just such a huge machine compared to the X590. I feel like the X730 is the best option for long term use.

My yard is only an acre with a 14% grade (very steep). My GT struggles to mow it especially in the spring when the grass is thick.

Leaning towards the X730, 48 inch deck (yes I know), possibilities would be a X738.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Bout any X7xx the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also when you consider the price the X730 is only about $2K more, which over 15-20 yrs of owning is not much. Seems like the dealers are willing to deal down more on the X700's.

Other advantages liquid cooled, PTO attachment capable (will never use), built like a tank, shaft drive deck (no belts!!!).

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You should get what you want- you seem to have you mind made up—the 700 series are most definitely the Cadillac’s of riding mowers for sure!! Not sure on a few of your statements, you say your GT225 is heavier built than X590—not the case at all- maybe you meant not as big as X730—and that is definitely true. The X590 is a big upgrade over a GT225—but I agree it’s no X730!! Also a big advantage of a 700 series is interest free for 60 months, if paying cash that advantage obviously goes away

·
21,405 Posts
Many have purchased a larger machine than they thought was actually needed. Few have been sorry for making the purchase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should get what you want- you seem to have you mind made up—the 700 series are most definitely the Cadillac’s of riding mowers for sure!! Not sure on a few of your statements, you say your GT225 is heavier built than X590—not the case at all- maybe you meant not as big as X730—and that is definitely true. The X590 is a big upgrade over a GT225—but I agree it’s no X730!! Also a big advantage of a 700 series is interest free for 60 months, if paying cash that advantage obviously goes away
Sorry I probably didn't explain it very well in words. Yes the X590 is definitely and upgrade to what I have now, just trying to decide what's best for a long term purchase vs cost.

Appreciate your patience and feedback!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thoughts on a X590 belt drive vs X730 shaft drive? Some say belt driven decks have less drag on the engine, better cutting etc? I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thoughts on a X590 belt drive vs X730 shaft drive? Some say belt driven decks have less drag on the engine, better cutting etc? I have no idea.
Not much difference on 730, especially if you go to 48 or 54 inch deck. The 730 is heavy-- but not crazy heavy like a X758- Either tractor will cut the grass like butter no matter how thick the grass is

The X730 is wider with bigger tires and will give you ( the operator) a better "ride" the X590 is a bit more nimble ( smaller turning radius ) so would be better suited if you have a lot of maneuvering around tree's flower boxes sidewalks etc, weighs less, so less concern about soil compaction - although like I said I dont think its that big a deal with X730

·
Registered
369 Posts
It would be hard to argue that the SGTs aren't great machines but 2 grand is 2 grand and an acre even with a grade seems well within the X590 spec. That said, I rationalize the SGT for snow removal but the truth is I just like it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
Many have purchased a larger machine than they thought was actually needed. Few have been sorry for making the purchase.

x1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not much difference on 730, especially if you go to 48 or 54 inch deck. The 730 is heavy-- but not crazy heavy like a X758- Either tractor will cut the grass like butter no matter how thick the grass is

The X730 is wider with bigger tires and will give you ( the operator) a better "ride" the X590 is a bit more nimble ( smaller turning radius ) so would be better suited if you have a lot of maneuvering around tree's flower boxes sidewalks etc, weighs less, so less concern about soil compaction - although like I said I dont think its that big a deal with X730
Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
420 Posts
OP,

I owned an X580 last year, bought brand new and fully rigged with front blade, deck, and powered integral sleeve hitch. I traded the 580 in to the dealer, recovered all of my costs, converted all of my attachments to 3pt and now drive an X738 I bought this past spring. I loved my 580, but truth be told, there is no comparison between the X5xx series and the X7xx series. The X7xx series is a whole new animal with far more expansion capabilities, hydraulic capabilities, etc.. I could go on and on, but the if I had the opportunity and had to choose between an X5xx and an X7xx tractor there would be no question in my mind at this point that the X7xx tractor would be the way to go. AND, if you want to go new then Deere's 0% deal puts the X7xx series within most peoples ballpark.

Pictures of both below, and I have mags!!!:tango_face_grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP,

I owned an X580 last year, bought brand new and fully rigged with front blade, deck, and powered integral sleeve hitch. I traded the 580 in to the dealer, recovered all of my costs, converted all of my attachments to 3pt and now drive an X738 I bought this past spring. I loved my 580, but truth be told, there is no comparison between the X5xx series and the X7xx series. The X7xx series is a whole new animal with far more expansion capabilities, hydraulic capabilities, etc.. I could go on and on, but the if I had the opportunity and had to choose between an X5xx and an X7xx tractor there would be no question in my mind at this point that the X7xx tractor would be the way to go. AND, if you want to go new then Deere's 0% deal puts the X7xx series within most peoples ballpark.

Pictures of both below, and I have mags!!!

Appreciate the reply and Thanks for sharing the pics!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
One thing I'll add is its probably a good idea to price out the attachments you intend to run. For example, if you plan on a snowblower, my understanding was that the x7xx set up is over $3,000 vs. the x590 which can be bought for half that. There is buying overkill, and then buying really overkill. I looked at the x730 briefly, but at less than an acre of cutting I couldn't justify that for myself. I bought the x590 because that was overkill for my yard, and I really needed something that could handle snow blowing in the snow belt. I have a long and wide driveway. I have used shaft drive set ups and they are nice, but the added cost of the implements deterred me and truthfully, belts driven implements has always (knock on wood) worked for me. The x730 would have been nice, but it was way overkill vs the x590 which is just overkill. I probably could have gotten an x390 and saved myself a couple grand for my usage, but I wanted some of the features on the x590 and the differential lock was a must have item. At that point, going for way overkill, I couldn't justify the jump for almost 3k more to get into the x730 with a snow blower.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Depends on your intended usage – guys like oldgibsonguy- had definite ‘needs” that he needed 700 series for. Sometimes it’s just wants—why does anyone buy a Cadillac when a plain Chevy or Ford will do? Unless there are no new ‘needs” a X590 will obviously do everything the GT225 did and for most part do it better— basically same engine HP and Torque as 730- diff lock, power steering, EFI, but it’s not a 700 series. But I do agree price it out—the X730 is 3200 bucks more by itself- depending on attachments can easily get 5K-6K-7K more. Also have to factor in the 60 months free financing vs 12 months free financing for 590. If you are just mowing 1 acre – well the x590 is a considerable upgrade over the 225—but again it’s not a top of the line 700 series. If you have the money in the end go with what you want!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Depends on your intended usage – guys like oldgibsonguy- had definite ‘needs” that he needed 700 series for. Sometimes it’s just wants—why does anyone buy a Cadillac when a plain Chevy or Ford will do? Unless there are no new ‘needs” a X590 will obviously do everything the GT225 did and for most part do it better— basically same engine HP and Torque as 730- diff lock, power steering, EFI, but it’s not a 700 series. But I do agree price it out—the X730 is 3200 bucks more by itself- depending on attachments can easily get 5K-6K-7K more. Also have to factor in the 60 months free financing vs 12 months free financing for 590. If you are just mowing 1 acre – well the x590 is a considerable upgrade over the 225—but again it’s not a top of the line 700 series. If you have the money in the end go with what you want!!!
Yeah sorry, never meant to imply that a x700 is always overkill. I don't intend to run loaders or the like so that's what I meant when I said it's way overkill for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great feedback from everyone! Need a 590 want a 738.

Dealer told me to wait and see if there are some extra Black Friday Deals.

I won’t be running any attachments, just mowing. My steep yard bogs down my 225 when the grass is thick. The 590 is probably the way to go. Decisions!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you were to go the X7+ route would you invest another $1K to go to a X738 even if you really didn't need it?

For those that have a X738 can you share your experience with the AWD system. I tested a Kubota a few years ago that was 4WD and it drove terrible. Scuff's the yard and felt like the front drive system was real clunky.

My assumption is the JD system, being hydraulic is super smooth and it drives like a two wheel drive?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
As usual overkill has come home to roost! All of us like the newer better stuff but is it what you really need? Is your lawn soft a lot from rain or just soft ground? If it is the heavier tractor will create ruts in it. Will you ever use the advanced capabilities of the 7xx series? Just like buying a car do you want the Hellcat or a Camaro? Which one will fit your needs best? It's your money so please yourself.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts