My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a x585 with a 45 loader and 62 deck on it. The blades on the deck are twisted and have to be replaced - the seller didn't use the deck much so the previous owner must have mowed rocks and roots! The machine has 1500 hours on it which seems kinda high but it runs top notch. Rear tires are loaded and it came with 540 PTO and 3pt hitch. The seller had the cat0 arms and put them in the deal. Overall i think i did OK - i paid less than $5,500; thoughts?

Questions about this machine -
The right lift cylinder seeps some and i would guess it needs to be resealed. I've will either pick up the kit and do it or take it to a hydraulic shop; i haven't made up my mind yet. This same side has some play in the joint where the pillar connects to the square cross bar that runs through the center of the tractor. The left side has no play that i notice. Is this caused from this cylinder being weaker (if it is?) or ramming into things with that side? I was thinking i could add some weld to that side to build it up and then grind it back down. Has anyone seen and repaired this before?

The hydraulic ports might leak a bit - i thought i read that you can just replace the O Rings - does anyone have the correct part numbers or a link for the style this tractor has?

Is 1500 hours too much? Fluids looked clean and it appears to be taken care of but i have no records.

Overall the machine is in nice shape, not mint but not all beat up either. The bulk of the ugliness and wear is the seat and paint on the loader.
Here's a pic on the trailer - it started raining after i unloaded so more pics another day.

IMG_20200729_161315.jpg

·
Registered
696 Posts
1500 hours is about half of the life so it's fine.

I don't know enough about the loafers to answer your loader questions. But $5500 (or under) for 4x4, rear pto, 3pt, AND a 45 loader? Insane price. The tractor alone should have gone for that price. And the loader is worth about $3000 after you fix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
I think you did real good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
597 Posts
These are the O-Rings for the couplers:

Quick Coupler O-Rings JD# 32246
Standard Number Code A
Standard Number Size 113 <-----
Durometer 90 (should be BUNA)

That said if they are rusty you will likely need to replace them, the set of 4 is most cost effective:
Kit of (4) BM20761

Full set of colored caps and plugs (8 pcs):

It also looks like there are seal kits available from Deere:

There are also cheaper aftermarket seal kits on ebay.

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
$5500? Yeah, you're under arrest!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the part numbers. i paid under $5,500 😁 Here are some more pics:

IMG_20200729_201057.jpg

The bucket edge is fairly straight and this loader has been used but it doesn't look all that worn. The top edge is bent - guessing someone lifted a heavy trailer?

IMG_20200729_195646.jpg
Here is the wear i mentioned on the loader upright - it chatters a bit when mounted and is shiny where it's been moving around for a while.

IMG_20200729_195627.jpg

I guess the original owner (previous owner to the seller) had something mounted on the hood:

IMG_20200729_194407.jpg

Again it's not beat but not mint by any stretch of the imagination. Stopped raining so i went outside and played a bit more. I like it. Climbed a hill like it was nothing that i can't with my X720. Pretty excited. It's dirty and needs a pressure washing but that's a job for another day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@jetmech906 - you mentioned having a 45 loader as well -- are your uprights tight on the center tube that runs through the tractor or do they wiggle a little bit? My right one has maybe 1/16" play and i posted some pics above of where it is worn. I realize that this is ~17 years old and not brand new but i'd like to take care of it as it took a while to find this one. Maybe i'm being a bit too picky but i would think if it moves a little now over time it will only get worse.

·
Registered
696 Posts
@jetmech906 - you mentioned having a 45 loader as well -- are your uprights tight on the center tube that runs through the tractor or do they wiggle a little bit? My right one has maybe 1/16" play and i posted some pics above of where it is worn. I realize that this is ~17 years old and not brand new but i'd like to take care of it as it took a while to find this one. Maybe i'm being a bit too picky but i would think if it moves a little now over time it will only get worse.
I have one where I discovered the cross tube is not bolted tight anymore. I have not had a chance to deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
Looks to me like you got a great deal there! If deck has twisted blades I'd check it to see if he bend the deck or spindle mounting areas, those blades are tough so it must've had some hard hits. Looks like his bucket got used pretty hard too but then that's what they're for!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Awesome deal! If you find any more for this price, post them here, and watch the feeding frenzy! (PM me first though!)

·
Super Moderator
16,015 Posts
Unless you changed them those are Limited Cat 1 arms arms circled In red in the Picture
1st diagram show a Cat 0 and You Can see circled in red how cat 0 arms attach to the rocker shaft and the Diagram circled In Blue with show you how the Limited Cat 1 attaches to the rocker shaft (y)
Screenshot_2020-07-30 x585 with 45 loader and 62 deck.png
Screenshot_2020-07-30 John Deere Parts Catalog.png
Screenshot_2020-07-30 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
These arms and top link were included in the deal:
IMG_20200729_171720.jpg

I guess i didn't notice that the cat0 arms attach more like the older 318/420 arms. Wasn't sure if i'd ever use them anyway; now i'm pretty sure i won't if they won't hook easily to the tractor! :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had the same issue with the loader mounts on my CUT. JD dealer told me to weld up some material on the square tube until they were a little tough to get on/off then grind it smooth. Did mine 5 years ago and no issues since.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@ivel03 mine are both still nice and tight but it also appears that mine hadn't seen much use from the previous owner(s). Sounds like you're on the right track though with building up the welds and grinding them back down

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Spent some time pressure washing and generally cleaning the machine up. I could tell the main driveshaft U-Joint was a worn from an inspection underneath but it was another matter once i had the fender deck off. I don't know if it had ever been greased; the black paint was still on the ball on the grease zerk. I'm glad i already have parts on the way!

IMG_20200801_113236.jpg

Have a bunch of parts arriving next week including the loader cylinder seals. It always amazes me that people buy these machines and then don't do maintenance on them. But i guess if it wasn't for that i'd not be able to afford to buy them and fix them up!

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
Could be worse...my Gravely walkbehind power brush has a u-joint on the shaft driving the brush, and it has a grease nipple on it. The Gravely user manual says it should be greased if the user can hear it making noise (and given that it only spins when the engine is running and the brush is enabled, it would have to be pretty loud)...

Personally, I think if it makes that loud of a noise, it needs replacing...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@SycoCell - i know you have and this one just popped up and i happened to be at the right place at the right time, oh and somehow i had enough money for it too!

Over the weekend i was able to build up some material on the square tubes and now the loader is nice and tight but not too tight! Sorry; didn't take any pics but if i did they wouldn't be that interesting anyhow.

Haven't done much with the machine after seeing how bad the U-Joint is. i don't really dare run it all that much - if it were to let go and flop around in there i think it would take out some lines and who knows what else and the repair bill will be much more than ~$35 for the U-Joint cross.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts