My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This may be applicable to other X4, X5, and X7 series too)

My fuel pump has been erratic for a while now. It actually did pump, but lost pressure
after stopping, which is the case during cranking to start, causing hard starts.

Here is the fix, and what is needed:

Airtex E11001 (bare) pump from Amazon, about $80.

Gates 27093 - LP (Low Permeation) Submersible Fuel Line, from Amazon, about $15

Stainless fuel injection hose clamps, SAE #14, from ebay about $22

Deere fuel sender gasket (see parts catalog, there are a few variations here with differing hole counts)
M157273 (replace when doing any work on sender, $8, has 8 holes)
M148981 (with 5 holes... likely for earlier versions, also included with the Airtex pump).

It is best not to cheap out on any of these parts or you will be back in there sooner than you need to.

Remove the tractor seat and the fender pan. Remove fuel sender harness, fuel lines and up to 8 screws holding the sender flange to the tank.

Remove old pump from sender bracket by cutting the short fuel line and feeding the filter sock through the bracket.
Remove old filter sock and scavenge the rubber isolation bushing from the bottom of the old pump (this will be reused).

Put isolation bushing on new pump and cut enough fuel line to be able to hold the pump firmly in place, yet be able to assemble.
Put the new sock on the new pump and feed through the sender bracket, alighning with pear shaped cutout.

Put band clamps on the hose and force the hose into place and tighten the clamps good.

Reassemble everything and you should be good to go!
fuel_pump_old_and_new.jpg
fuel_pump_newly_installed.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Hope it all works out, I glad someone found a replacement for john deere $600+ replacement of about every fuel part to just replace the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Wonder if this will work on a X495, almost feel like getting one of these incase mine ever goes. Little piece of mind insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
No worries, our X495 & X595 only have fuel pumps on the engine For little more then $100

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Airtex? They have a HORRIBLE reputation in the automotive world. I simply cannot recommend their products. When I worked on cars for a living, (and ran my own shop for a while) I would NEVER install one of their products, as it was pretty much guaranteed to fail within a year. (or less.....) Granted, they are MUCH easier to change out on our tractors, but still..... Gotta be a better alternative than them.....

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
...guess I got lucky, one of the two fuel pumps I replaced in my truck is an Airtex (it has 2 tanks, front FP pumps at 60 psi to the engine, the rear FP pumps from the rear tank to the front tank as necessary).... Been working for 5 years and about 100k km.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems that Deere is now is listing another bare pump AUC11498, about $140, so there are other options. No idea who the new Deere pump is made by, my original was Carter. There is also a "Quamtum" fuel pump available, but I have not heard of them. The R&R procedure should be the same. My newly installed Airtex pump is working great, the tractor now starts within 1-2 seconds. I'll post back if I see any issues.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't get why so many people say Airtex pumps are junk. Maybe I'm lucky but whenever I get a new-to-me truck I replace the fuel pump(s) as a matter of preventive maintenance and Airtex is what I've always used because that's what my local parts house has and I've never had one fail ever. I have one in my truck right now that I installed 4 years and 70,000 miles ago and it's been fine. Not only that but I replaced both pumps in my previous truck with Airtex pumps, those never failed either for the 4 or so years I owned it. And the truck before that got an Airtex pump too, never gave me any trouble in the 2 years I owned it.

I've taken some of those vehicles including my current one on long road trips. Current truck has been down to the keys and back a few times. Last one took a few road trips and also went off-road a LOT. So me personally, I'd put an Airtex pump in a tractor or truck any day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts