My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone is interested. While doing the service on my X585 I changed the blades out for G6 Gators. I was apprehensive about how they were going to work. I have them on my 332 and they work great.

The blades are very heavy so I wondered how the X585 gasser vs. Diesel 332 was going to handle it under a load of longer and or wet grass.

You can feel a noticeable weight difference comparing to the standard blade.

First test was PTO engagement and at full throttle it was smooth and without issue! I didn't notice or hear any difference from the stock blades.

The big test, an hour of mowing the field area with 2 weeks growth and somewhat wet grass.

The mower and blades performed perfect. I was a little worried that with the extra weight of the blades and add the longer, wet grass that it may really bog down the engine but it performed excellent.
I was able to mow as I normally do and had no issues with overloading the deck and engine.

The clippings are a little more chopped up than with the original blades as you might expect but the grass was longer so I wasn't expecting miracles.
This weekend will be telling since I was able to mow last week and the grass is at a more normal height now so we will see how the clippings are.

Overall I am pleased with the performance and cut.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I have a JD X350. With the stock blades
I have been reading a lot about these Gator Blades. Why are they better and where do you get them?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Rob, do not even consider the G6's for a x300. The G6's are needlessly too heavy for the x300, x500 series, and even the non diesel x5X5 and X700 series. The G5 and G6 are virtually the same and perform identically as far as quality of cut. The G6's are designed as a much heavier version of the G5 for commercial applications with 25+HP machines with lawn jockeys that ingest everything in their path. They are wider, and thicker, and as Wirly mentioned, will stress the PTO on our smaller machines.

You can go to: https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/professional-products/lawn-and-garden/mower-blades/gator-mulching-blades/c/g6-mulchingblade-p to read more, and look up the PN for the blades that fit your deck. Then with the PN, you can shop around a bit. I think I saw the best price from Jacks or Amazon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks, mrmagloo. I went to that link you gave me. Is even the G3 blade too heavy for a X350?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with MrM, the G6 is a beast. I run it since my area includes 3 acres of "tame" field that has al kinds of surprises.

I may go to the G5 in the future to reduce some stress on the deck if needed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I believe I have the G5 blades on my X585/62c setup and they work pretty good.
I typically grind some of the "ears" down so they don't kick up quite as much dust.
Might be a bit anal retentive here...

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Thanks, mrmagloo. I went to that link you gave me. Is even the G3 blade too heavy for a X350?

Rob, go with the G5's and NOT the G3's or G6's. The other tip is, these blades often come from the factory FAR from the JD spec on sharpness that calls for a .015" Break. I will mention that many folks who first change to these complain about the cut, and this is the reason why. For whatever reason, Oregon thinks that a blade sharper than a 2x4 is dangerous - go figure. So, inspect them and if they come dull, sharpen them to spec and you will love 'em. I typically run my break at .020" and they last all season plus.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,168 Posts
Are you guys running these blades with the mulch kit?

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Are you guys running these blades with the mulch kit?
Depends on what kit you are talking about. The older plastic plug Mulch kits are incompatible as they will interfere. All others are good to go. On my old tractor, I ran the G5's with the Tricycler no problem, and just opened the screen for discharge or bagging with the powerflow. On the x540, I didn't bother with the mulcher, and just run the G5's with and without the PF/Bagger. As long as there is no interference issues, they are great all around blades - provided they are sharp to spec as with any blade.

·
Premium Member
9,168 Posts
Depends on what kit you are talking about. The older plastic plug Mulch kits are incompatible as they will interfere. All others are good to go. On my old tractor, I ran the G5's with the Tricycler no problem, and just opened the screen for discharge or bagging with the powerflow. On the x540, I didn't bother with the mulcher, and just run the G5's with and without the PF/Bagger. As long as there is no interference issues, they are great all around blades - provided they are sharp to spec as with any blade.
The mulch kit I'm referring to is the large plastic baffle that fills much of the under deck space. It comes from Deere with mulching blades, but they aren't like the gator blades.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
The mulch kit I'm referring to is the large plastic baffle that fills much of the under deck space. It comes from Deere with mulching blades, but they aren't like the gator blades.
Yes, the plastic plug or baffle will interfere with the gators trailing edge and are not compatible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts