My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X570 brake pedal has been hanging up on release so I got under it today to see where it was binding. Think I found the problem but as I was tracing the levers/linkage back to the transmission and moving things around I must have released the lever that controls the free wheeling. Now when I tried to push the L-Shaped rod in the back it doesn't seem to go all the way in and it is free wheeling all the time. I pulled it out and pushed it in several times but it still free wheels. Any ideas what I did and how to remedy the situation?

By the way, the brake problem is some linkage that goes along the inside of the left side frame and it is hitting on some bolt ends coming through the frame. Not sure what to do about that either. I Googled the problem and one gentleman said he raised the back of the linkage over the frame by putting a piece of hose over the rod and have that lay on the frame.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Grass is growing fast in southern Michigan

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
When I first got my X500 I had a similar problem. I pulled the lever out to free wheel the tractor and then I couldn't get it to back in all the way. It ended up that I just wasn't pushing hard enough. I finally pulled it back out and then pushed it back in with authority like I didn't care if I broke it and it went all the way in and now works fine.

The release lever has a tendency to get very stiff if not used regularly. I now try to pull it out and push it back in once a month or so to keep it limbered up.

·
5,556 Posts
On my X590 I found the same thing and as IRJones said give a good shove after pulling back out and then pushing it in and it will lock into gear. Another thing you can do is as you are pushing the free wheeling lever back in give the tractor a slight push at the same time and it will kind of sort of snap into place. I just give it a slight push with my knee as I am pushing the lever in and you WILL feel it snap back in to place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tried all of those suggestions and it still won't go back in. I got under it and it looks like the lever that the linkage controls has hit a stop and won't go any further. I noticed also that with the rod about half way out it doesn't free wheel easy in reverse but does when the rod is all the way out. It free wheels forward no matter where the rod is. Might be something more serious. May have to take advantage of my warranty.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just tried all of those suggestions and it still won't go back in. I got under it and it looks like the lever that the linkage controls has hit a stop and won't go any further. I noticed also that with the rod about half way out it doesn't free wheel easy in reverse but does when the rod is all the way out. It free wheels forward no matter where the rod is. Might be something more serious. May have to take advantage of my warranty.
My X500 is the same way, it will free wheel pretty easy forward without the rod being pulled out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not an x5xx expert by any means, but...

The freewheeling lever on a lot of hydro tractors simply depresses the relief valve (valves). These are often on the top of the transaxle, where junk accumulates. maybe you need to pull the fender pan and clean these off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My X500 is the same way, it will free wheel pretty easy forward without the rod being pulled out.
Can you run it when it is in free wheeling mode. The manual said not to try it or you could do damage.

It is pretty clean where that valve is. Only have 70 hours on it and I blow it off quite often with leaf blower.

Thank you all for the replies

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can you run it when it is in free wheeling mode. The manual said not to try it or you could do damage.
I've done that by accident a couple of times... that's how I learned I forgot to push the lever back in after messing with it a few days earlier. :tango_face_grin:

I never ran it for any length of time that way - just long enough to get on, start it, and discover that the forward pedal didn't work. Then I got off and pushed the lever in. I don't think anything bad happened to the trans. Could be a different story if it ran for many minutes without the lever pushed in, but I don't know.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I'm surprised the brake pedal linkage isn't hooked to the free wheel lever like a lot of older JDs were. Bean counters at work.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm surprised the brake pedal linkage isn't hooked to the free wheel lever like a lot of older JDs were. Bean counters at work.
My old 175 Hydro had a little spring loaded lever in front of the seat between your legs. You had to hold the lever over while trying to push the tractor. It wasn't the most convenient setup. I like the new style with a rod you pull and it stays disengaged until you push it back in.

From the X570 parts illustration below there isn't much external to bind. Just the rod connected to a bell crank that attaches to a shaft that goes down into the top of the transaxle. I suspect the shaft has a lot of resistance and the small bell crank doesn't offer much mechanical advantage.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like the bell crank is up against a stop so I don't think it can go any further. I could be wrong. It sure isn't in a place that is easy to see or get to. I have it loaded up ready to take to the dealer tomorrow. I'll report back when I find out what is going on. Might be some time as I'm sure they are very busy. Grass keeps growing.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Good luck. If you can please post whatever the problems was when you find out.
Thanks for posting this, information benefits everyone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea mrmagloo but I took it to the dealership this morning. They said they are backed up a couple of weeks on repairs but will try and work it in this week. Hope so as my one acre of grass won't stop growing. I discovered on you tube that it was fairly easy to remove the seat/fender assembly. Wish I would have found that yesterday and I would have fewer cuts and scrapes on my hands from trying to check the linkage out. I'll post the results when I get it back. They are also going to fix the brake problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got my X570 back today. They said that the fact that the tractor will move with the free wheeling linkage pushed in was not a concern. He said half of them on the showroom floor will do that and it isn't a problem. I wish the guy that took it in would have told me that. I do have 3 years left on my warranty. Anyway they also adjusted the brake linkage so it does not get hung up any more. A couple of loose bolts I guess.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well I got my X570 back today. They said that the fact that the tractor will move with the free wheeling linkage pushed in was not a concern. He said half of them on the showroom floor will do that and it isn't a problem. I wish the guy that took it in would have told me that. I do have 3 years left on my warranty. Anyway they also adjusted the brake linkage so it does not get hung up any more. A couple of loose bolts I guess.
I thought the problem was that your bypass linkage would not push in all the way? I reported that even with the rod pushed in my X500 will free wheel forward but not in reverse.

At least you were able to get your brake linkage adjusted.

·
Registered
224 Posts

OK so what are the other half doing? I think the loose bolts work at that dealer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts