My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
X570 Driver
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little over two years ago, I bought an X570. This weekend I yanked the deck, pulled maintenance on it and washed and waxed it. During the work, I noticed the seat was cracked. I called the dealer I bought it from(they were bought by Land Pro) and asked for service and stated I had a cracked seat cushion and needed it fixed under warranty. The service guy said it wasn’t covered. I said what are you talking about, I have a four year bumper to bumper warranty and it is two years old with 91.3 hours. He then passed me off to parts and that guy said the same thing. I asked him if he knew how ridiculous that sounded. I said you’re telling me I paid $6,300 for a machine that is kept in a semi climate controlled garage I have to buy a new seat every two years or 91 hours. He said he would send a email to Deere.

Has any of you run in to this before? I tried the search function, but it just locks up on my iPad.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's BS. The seat is covered. Call JD directly and if that's changed please let us know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have heard some dealers will replace it under warranty. But, maybe Deere got too many warranty replacements and decided not to cover it anymore. Did you get a price on it? I hope you were sitting down, oh wait that was the problem 😉. There are aftermarket ones that are more reasonably priced. There is also yellow tape that will last a little while.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Very common problem with those seats for years. Can't believe they still use those things. It varies dealer to dealer whether or not if they'll warranty it. But the new one will do the same thing....not a matter of if but when. Contact Deere directly and they should help you out unless something has changed in the past couple of years. There's many many threads just on this site alone on these seats cracking btw. Another option is to get the seat off a x590 (tall seat back model). The material on that one is much better than the standard seat. But I'm sure it's not cheap either. Or like mentioned, you could go aftermarket and save some money if it came down to it.

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
The squeaky wheel gets the grease! when you get another one put a seatcover on it, I'm not saying it will stop the seat from cracking but they do last longer!
I made the dealer throw in a seat cover for my neighbour when he was purchasing a new s240 and they griped,but wanted the deal! Dealer replaced my x500 seat about 7yrs ago when the machine was at the end of the warranty. they told me the new seat was a better seat,but I showed them the line on the sides where it would crack and they knew! I put a seat cover on it immediately and it's cracked now as well, but better than no seat cover would have been!
same with my 2014 x540 it has the high back seat and I put the cover on it when it was delivered,never gets used in winter or even cold weather and it has cracks!

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I had 2 seat replaced under warrantee . So that is 3 seat on the same tractor in 4 years. The third seat is lasting the best ??

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
I let the seat disappointment issue disappear with the dealer I use. if i need any favours it's going to be for something more important! the salesman and parts department has been very good to me in the past,even delivering parts to my son at GM dealership 10 miles away from them in town, to bring home to me!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Seat cracks are provided at no additional charge. I've found that yellow duct type tape holds pretty well, and from 100 yards, is barely noticeable. Maybe obtain a spare seat, store in in a cool dark place and install it only when you sell the tractor. Problem is, any wise purchaser is going to see a non cracked JD seat as a reg flag about the machine.

I just live with mine and I have my roll of yellow tape for when another crack shows up.

Borrowing and altering a phrase from the Jeep marketing guys....." It's a JD thing"...... 😁

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located but I had my X500 seat replaced under warranty in less than two years. The dealer at the time was Valley Ag & Turf. They were recently acquired by Land Pro. At the time they sent out a technician to the house to swap the seat. They would not allow me to keep the old seat.

The quality of these seats is disgusting. My old JD 175 Hydro lasted almost 15 years before the seat developed cracks. My equipment has always been installed indoors.

Upon getting the seat replaced I figured I would try to preserve it by installing a seat cover. 9 months after installing the seat cover the new seat looked like this.

So... I covered all the tears with yellow duct tape and put the seat cover back on and now I pretend it never happened. :) At some point I will replace the seat with one of the 3rd party seats available from Ebay and other sources. I instaled one of those on my old JD 175 Hydro and it was far superior to the OEM JD seat.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I would love to go back to the old steel seat with the holes drilled into it, on a long spring arm. They are still on the original tractors today.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I would love to go back to the old steel seat with the holes drilled into it, on a long spring arm. They are still on the original tractors today.
Not sure I would want to go back that far. ;-) JD just needs to use a bit better vinyl. The vinyl on the seat of my JD compact tractor is of much higher quality than that used on the garden tractors.

·
Rich
415 Posts

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located but I had my X500 seat replaced under warranty in less than two years. The dealer at the time was Valley Ag & Turf. They were recently acquired by Land Pro. At the time they sent out a technician to the house to swap the seat. They would not allow me to keep the old seat.

The quality of these seats is disgusting. My old JD 175 Hydro lasted almost 15 years before the seat developed cracks. My equipment has always been installed indoors.

View attachment 2449496

View attachment 2449497

Upon getting the seat replaced I figured I would try to preserve it by installing a seat cover. 9 months after installing the seat cover the new seat looked like this.

View attachment 2449500

So... I covered all the tears with yellow duct tape and put the seat cover back on and now I pretend it never happened. :) At some point I will replace the seat with one of the 3rd party seats available from Ebay and other sources. I instaled one of those on my old JD 175 Hydro and it was far superior to the OEM JD seat.
the hole in the seat back looks like a screwdriver in the back pocket tear! the seat bottom is the usual JD vinyl issue!

·
2,464 Posts
Shame about this happening... the 20+ year-old seats on my equipment still look like new... almost anyhow.

One idea, dunno if anyone's tried this: Take it to a saddle/leather/upholstery shop and have it recovered in leather? That'd hold up fo' sho'.

🍻

·
X570 Driver
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got a call from the dealer today saying they couldn’t make the call on warranty and he wanted me to send him some pics. Like jgayman stated, they use to be Valley Ag and Turf and Landpro bought them. The pics I sent are attached. It is absolutely Ming boggling to me that they can make such a good tractor and stink at making the seats. You look at the pics and tell me this is wear and tear. Maddening
!
4C86AA63-1830-4453-AE8C-7E828FAF7ACF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I had the seat on my 2008 X500 replaced twice for the vinyl cracking before the 4 year warranty was up. Both times it was just the side of the seat cushion, no problem with the backrest cushion, but the cracks in my seat cushions were much worse than yours both tomes. They were both cracked open so bad the foam inside was fully exposed and had started to crumble. It took the third seat almost 5 years before it started to crack, and now 3 years later it's still not as bad as either of the first two were after less than 2 years each.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
the hole in the seat back looks like a screwdriver in the back pocket tear! the seat bottom is the usual JD vinyl issue!
I agree it does look like that but I never carry tools or anything in my back pockets while using the tractor. :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Well, I got a call from the dealer today saying they couldn’t make the call on warranty and he wanted me to send him some pics. Like jgayman stated, they use to be Valley Ag and Turf and Landpro bought them. The pics I sent are attached. It is absolutely Ming boggling to me that they can make such a good tractor and stink at making the seats. You look at the pics and tell me this is wear and tear. Maddening
Exactly! Tractor looks like it just rolled out of the show room. I sure hope they come through on warranty.

If they don't come through for you check out the site below. They sell a high back like is on the X590 for a lot less than the OEM seat. I've heard reports that the vinyl is better on these as well. When I replace my X500 seat this is where I'm getting mine.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I went through 2 OEM seats in 2 1/2 years on my X530. Both cracked the same way. Finally got fed up and bought a high back seat from seat warehouse on eBay. It's identical to the X590 seat, except no JD logo.
The vinyl on it is much softer that the original seats. Extremely comfortable and at a great price.

Here's a link to my post about it: Early Christmas Present for my X530.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts