My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The Deere dealer where My Brother Runs the service Department they average 5 to 10 42inch decks a year On the X500 series so maybe in your neck of the woods they don't.
So I have been on here for a while now. Out of all the used x500 series that I have seen listed for sale then and now without a doubt 1000's, you know how many I've seen with a 42" deck, maybe 1. Just went on machine finder for kicks and not a single 42" deck to be found on over 360 used x500 series listed including the x500, x520, x530, x534, x540, x570, x580, x584 or the x590. But yet the one dealer who sells/services these unicorns happens to be the one dealer where your brother works. Again, the Op or you and anyone else can do as they please. But to act like a 42" is a normal thing to see on a x500 series Appears to me that it's only the this one dealership and definitely not a "regional" thing. Again there's reasons why Deere doesn't offer this configuration.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Well My dealership does it as well My Younger brother does not work for the Outfit I buy from. But he did in the Past.
The outfit he works for does a average of 5 to 10 a year so I don't know what to tell You. My dealer ship outfit at there two Lake county branches(4 Branches total) do 42inch decks on the X500 series on a regular bases

But did you even read post 15 On the 1st Page of this thread that is from Mother Deere not from me The 42inch fits Just fine and in the Past I have seen X500 series tractors for sale On Machine finder On the east cost with a 42inch deck . Again the X540 was not Marketed with a 42inch deck In North America. But there were enough of the 42inch decks sold with the X540 to warrant Deere Putting together Maintenance sheets with the 42 edge and 42M deck. If there had been no sales at all Deere wouldn't have Bothered to put Maintenance sheets together showing a 42inch deck on the X540 (y)

DSC00010.JPG
DSC00015.JPG

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,413 Posts
I've had both the 42" and 48" decks and I'd never go back to the smaller one. The cut, at least in my case, is better with the three blade deck. In the end, it's your money so buy what you want/need!

The manual X5x0s steer really well when the machine is moving, but gets harder if you are turning the wheel while stopped. With the 48" blade installed there is a noticeable difference in required effort to turn the wheel when stopped. If you're going to turn mostly while tractor is in motion then may not be a big deal with a blower. I will say you might find the lock to lock turns get annoying after a while! You might want to consider the electric lift kit for the blower - it gets real interesting in the snow to lift the blade/blower, turn the wheel and press reverse all at the same time!!!

I forget the $$ difference between X570 & X580, but if you're willing to spend $400+ on the lift (sounds likemight as well just get the X580 in my opinion. To be fair, I have manual steer and electric lift for blade, but snow wasn't a consideration in my initial purchase.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have both the 42 Edge eXtra (on an X300) and a 48" (on an X534). I guess I am the odd one out on the power steering. I don't notice a whole lot of difference. The effort on the X534 is less, but it is not like the effort on the X300 is hard at all.

I used to hate the 42" deck, because it used to leave an uncut strip down the middle. I spent some time and leveled the deck and now it works much better. The 48" deck is heavier. Mine has a belt tension release, which I really like. It also has adjustable and rotatable wheels that work much better. I think it is a much better deck. But, it is bigger and there are some places where it is a little too big. So I am going to have to move some plants to fit the deck.

If you plan on keeping the machine for a long time, buy what you want and don't worry about resale value. If it is something I really like, I rarely remember how much I paid for it, or that I thought it was really overpriced. On the other hand, when I saved money by buying something that wasn't quite what I wanted, I am rarely happy with the choice.

You are already looking at the X500, which is better than the X300 I first got, which is better than the 100 series I was expecting to buy. The X500 is a fine machine. It has a much better transaxle than the X300 and diff lock. To get the 42" deck, you will need to get the X590. It is about $2K more than the X500. But, you are looking at getting the electric lift for the snowblower. That will bring the difference down to about $1500. At 10 years that is $150/year.

I was faced with this type of dilemma last year. It seemed crazy to spend that much money on a "lawnmower". And, if I was going to spend that much, I really should get the X739. Then I looked at used. For the price of a new X500 series I could get a good used X700 series. I went back and forth. I then decided that the X700 series was just too big and too much money for a mower, since I don't mow that much. I was all set to but an X534 and have it shipped. Then one showed up on CL that was within driving distance.

I bought it and I was REALLY glad that I did not pay full price. My experience has not been trouble free, but it is now working well. After using it for 30ish hours, I am more convinced that a 54" deck would be WAY too big for my needs. But, I am seriously considering getting an X729, but not for mowing. I like having multiple machines all set up for different tasks. I am not willing to pay new prices, but if the right used on shows up, I will buy it.

If you KNOW exactly what you want and you are sure about it, buy a new one. If not, buy used and you can turn around and sell it for about the same you have in it, if you decide it is not the right machine for you. It does take longer to buy used typically, since the one you want is not always available when you know you want it. But, if you are not handy and/or don't have the time, you should probably buy new.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
I have both the 42 Edge eXtra (on an X300) and a 48" (on an X534). I guess I am the odd one out on the power steering. I don't notice a whole lot of difference. The effort on the X534 is less, but it is not like the effort on the X300 is hard at all.

I used to hate the 42" deck, because it used to leave an uncut strip down the middle. I spent some time and leveled the deck and now it works much better. The 48" deck is heavier. Mine has a belt tension release, which I really like. It also has adjustable and rotatable wheels that work much better. I think it is a much better deck. But, it is bigger and there are some places where it is a little too big. So I am going to have to move some plants to fit the deck.

If you plan on keeping the machine for a long time, buy what you want and don't worry about resale value. If it is something I really like, I rarely remember how much I paid for it, or that I thought it was really overpriced. On the other hand, when I saved money by buying something that wasn't quite what I wanted, I am rarely happy with the choice.

You are already looking at the X500, which is better than the X300 I first got, which is better than the 100 series I was expecting to buy. The X500 is a fine machine. It has a much better transaxle than the X300 and diff lock. To get the 42" deck, you will need to get the X590. It is about $2K more than the X500. But, you are looking at getting the electric lift for the snowblower. That will bring the difference down to about $1500. At 10 years that is $150/year.

I was faced with this type of dilemma last year. It seemed crazy to spend that much money on a "lawnmower". And, if I was going to spend that much, I really should get the X739. Then I looked at used. For the price of a new X500 series I could get a good used X700 series. I went back and forth. I then decided that the X700 series was just too big and too much money for a mower, since I don't mow that much. I was all set to but an X534 and have it shipped. Then one showed up on CL that was within driving distance.

I bought it and I was REALLY glad that I did not pay full price. My experience has not been trouble free, but it is now working well. After using it for 30ish hours, I am more convinced that a 54" deck would be WAY too big for my needs. But, I am seriously considering getting an X729, but not for mowing. I like having multiple machines all set up for different tasks. I am not willing to pay new prices, but if the right used on shows up, I will buy it.

If you KNOW exactly what you want and you are sure about it, buy a new one. If not, buy used and you can turn around and sell it for about the same you have in it, if you decide it is not the right machine for you. It does take longer to buy used typically, since the one you want is not always available when you know you want it. But, if you are not handy and/or don't have the time, you should probably buy new.
He can get a X570 with a 42inch deck . In His case the reason he wants a 42inch deck has to do with Handling attachments off the Tractor! People want to be Independent and not have to depend on other People to remove or replace attachments for them. But Unfortunately the Human body as it ages gets weaker what You could lift at 30 with no Issues in your Mid to Late 60's May cause you to struggle I use to Carry 240 to 260lbs on my Back or greater when I was In a anti Tank section and had to be Helped to My feet back then! I am now In My late 50's can't Carry that weight now on my Back and walk 30 miles and I am still about the same size I was at 17 I can walk 30 miles still but I can't do it with More than a 150lbs at max and that's at a slow Pace. Man handling equipment off the Tractor isn't as easy as it was just 10 years ago! I feel the strain in my back now I can Carry a 42inch deck one Handed still off the Tractor But I know it's there were, Just 10 years ago it felt Like I was Barely lifting any thing.

I never run into any issue with the 42inch deck Made By Deere leaving Uncut rows Now the 54inch Deere deck I have seen That on when the Blades were To dull to cut well

BTW this Member X570 withe 42 deck Just Put a 42inch deck On His X570 6 months ago all His dealer did was switch a 42inch from a X350 On to the X570 That the easiest way to do it (y)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes, the 42" deck is lighter and easier to move. I don't think it is a bad deck at all, once it is leveled correctly. I am also almost 60, but was never as strong as @Sergeant. That is why I want to avoid having to remove the deck more than once a year or so. If you know you want a 42" deck, get one. I am not one who believes bigger is better. Many people here believe bigger is better and will steer you to an X700 series, preferably with AWD and diesel 🙂, and a 60" deck. That probably works great for some people/properties but not really for all. Most dealers won't bring by a machine for you to try out on your property. But, Deere does typically offer the 30 day promise. I don't believe 30 days is really enough to get a good idea if the machine is right for your needs or not. That is why I went with a used one. I think of it as a really long test run. I have had my X534 about 9 months now. I think it works okay as a mower and addresses the concerns I had with the X300, but I am don't think it is excellent. Maybe when I replace the rear tires I will like it better. Similarly, after 30 days with the X300 I didn't know it wasn't what I really needed. I also don't recall there being the promise back then. I also didn't know what I didn't know back then, because I had not found this site yet. Now that I know a lot more, the X300 was not a good choice, but it worked well enough that I didn't get something better for 13 years. The X500 would have been a better choice, but I don't know that I would have been willing to spend almost 5-6x what I thought I needed to spend when I first started looking.

The OP is ahead of where I was 14 years ago for having found this site and considering the X570. There are lots of opinions and options. I don't feel the NEED for hydraulics, but they really are nice to have. Similarly, I don't NEED FI, but I think it would be really nice to have. I don't have NEED for snowblowing, but I do have one for the X534. I have not even hooked it up yet, but I am pretty sure I am glad I have hydraulic lift for it. If you are concerned about your strength at all, get the one that has hydraulic lift to make it easy on yourself. You might not NEED it today, but could be really glad you have it a few years from now, when your situation changes. As many say, get somewhat more than the minimum you need, so you have some extra capability when you realize your needs are really greater than you thought, or you realize what more you can do.

I actually have a CUT with a loader, but I want a smaller machine for those in-between jobs (to big to do by hand, but too small to do effectively with a large machine).

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Well My dealership does it as well My Younger brother does not work for the Outfit I buy from. But he did in the Past.
The outfit he works for does a average of 5 to 10 a year so I don't know what to tell You. My dealer ship outfit at there two Lake county branches(4 Branches total) do 42inch decks on the X500 series on a regular bases

But did you even read post 15 On the 1st Page of this thread that is from Mother Deere not from me The 42inch fits Just fine and in the Past I have seen X500 series tractors for sale On Machine finder On the east cost with a 42inch deck . Again the X540 was not Marketed with a 42inch deck In North America. But there were enough of the 42inch decks sold with the X540 to warrant Deere Putting together Maintenance sheets with the 42 edge and 42M deck. If there had been no sales at all Deere wouldn't have Bothered to put Maintenance sheets together showing a 42inch deck on the X5
I never questioned if they fit or not. So it's whatever still. With your post on #25, that makes 2 i have seen now. And yes I know there's more out there. But the point is it's a very, very select few which cannot be argued. And the vast majority of buyers don't want anything smaller than the 48" on the 500 series. And Deere knows this which is part of the reason why they don't offer it as a option let alone bother marketing it as such. So yeah I can understand why the majority of dealers won't bother with seeing what's what. Anyways moving on.........

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Well it Looks Like the OP Just Bought a X580 with a 42A deck So that another member here that wanted a 42inch deck
It is a Option But You just have to ask your dealer (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had both the 42" and 48" decks and I'd never go back to the smaller one. The cut, at least in my case, is better with the three blade deck. In the end, it's your money so buy what you want/need!

The manual X5x0s steer really well when the machine is moving, but gets harder if you are turning the wheel while stopped. With the 48" blade installed there is a noticeable difference in required effort to turn the wheel when stopped. If you're going to turn mostly while tractor is in motion then may not be a big deal with a blower. I will say you might find the lock to lock turns get annoying after a while! You might want to consider the electric lift kit for the blower - it gets real interesting in the snow to lift the blade/blower, turn the wheel and press reverse all at the same time!!!

I forget the $$ difference between X570 & X580, but if you're willing to spend $400+ on the lift (sounds likemight as well just get the X580 in my opinion. To be fair, I have manual steer and electric lift for blade, but snow wasn't a consideration in my initial purchase.
Agree 100% with the 42" vs. 48" decks. On my older 102, I had a 42" deck (granted it's not the heavier Accel deck); on my recently acquired X590, I have the 48" Accel deck. Much nicer cut on the 48", and it's really well built. Now regarding power steering, once you've driven a tractor with power steering, you'll never go back. I didn't do any measurements, but it seems to me that my X590 can turn tighter than my 102 because the steering is so quick. When my 5 year old grand daughter saw the new tractor, she of course wanted a ride (on my lap). Then she discovered how easy she could steer the tractor.

I had initially looked for a used X570, but the difference in price between that and a used X590 (comparable hours) wasn't too excessive. So, I went for the X590 and don't regret it. I was willing to drive and trailer my purchase to get the best deal, even if it was from a more distant Deere dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the reply Sarge I’m still on the fence about 570 vs 580 ;
Well it Looks Like the OP Just Bought a X580 with a 42A deck So that another member here that wanted a 42inch deck
It is a Option But You just have to ask your dealer (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi again Sarge ; One question while I’m in buying mode and been able to get some discount on accessories while buying a package ; I was thinking of getting a bagger; I don’t know if you have or anyone else on the site used this particular two bag system shown below or are there better 2-baggers on market available and want to be sure that it’ll fit on the X580 with the 42 inch deck installed ; I’m going to install manual-lever mulch kit at first ; but I might want to do some bagging in the fall ; any comments on this unit or other smaller non power-flow units ; fit, function, and easy on/off, and is the flex tube shown below better or a hard plastic discharge tube? would be appreciated. Thanks John
John Deere Material Collection System BM21679

BM21679-0

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Additional note to the previous post; on the two bag system I may need this additional rear bagger shoot kit and high lift blades also;
Rear bagger chute for 42A Mower$130.54PART #BG20754

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi again Sarge ; thanks for all the replies ; I visited my local John Deere dealer today looking at the 570 and 580 and thinking about my age like you and others mentioned and the aid of having power steering and hydraulic lift of the 580; I might bite the bullet and spend extra cash and get the 580; had him give a quote; the 580 with the 44 inch snowblower , 42 inch deck / manual mulch kit , 48” blade / manual angling kit , (3) suitcase weights , Terragrip traction belts , front weather bra , large seat cover. I can’t find part numbers and costs of individual decks 42A , 48A , 54A so I can se what I was discounted for swapping out 54A for 42A do you have any idea? The only thing I’m waiting for now as of next week there could be a black Friday deal that may give me $500 off the X500 series? Thanks John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hello all ; I have a question and comments would be appreciated ; About to make a purchase of a X580 and 48”snow plow and 44” snowblower and other accessories; I’ve overspent for the time being; that being said; I’d like to purchase down the road a OTC cab ; but for the time being plowing/snowblowing in the elements ; will this have any adverse effects on anything; like controls, display, or anything else? I’ve read some complaints of moisture/fogging of display; maybe cover with plastic until I can afford a cab . Thanks John

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Yeah they recommend High Lift Blades But I always used Gator Blades with a Bagger Power flow Or Non Power flow! My JD Sabre 1542HS used Mulch Blade for the Bagger
That addition chute Piece I think is do to the Mulch One demand You want. If Your Grass is really wet the Chute will clog But that even Happen with the Power flow.
My friend Had the twin Bagger On His X540 with 42inch deck. He Only Bags in the Grass Mowing Months.

The High Lift Blades Usually come with the Bagger or Power flow Kits You Can use them if You want But You don't Have to

I have always Like the Hard Plastic tube Myself I have a Old Peco 5HP tractor Mounted Unit for My Cub Cadet 106 which Has the flex Tube Only Nice thing it flexes if You Brush Up against something when Mowing The Hard chute does that to Do to the Upper Piece on the Bagger But Not Has much as a full flex Piece

The 2 Bag Bagger for the X300 fits right on the X500 series no Modification needed. The Only difference at the rear Hitch Plate of the X500 & X300 is the X500 has a extra Hole to accommodate the OEM Integral(sleeve) hitch Bagger actually mount the same way using the same Parts between X300/X500 series (y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had 42 inch deck on x354 and then moved to x590 54 inch deck. One of reasons I upgraded was 2 blade deck left slight lines in center especially on turns. 3 blade deck cuts much better especially mulching.

I had lift blades and bagger on x354. After that experience, I decided to go with mulching instead because lift blades blow too much dust everywhere and large chunks, the bagger would clog a lot, and mulching is just plain better for grass. The 42 inch bagger doesn't even let you cut at 3-4 inches because the chute hits foot rest part of body...must cut 2.5 inches for it to clear. You can and should mulch small amounts of leaves...no sense in bagging them. If its many leaves and you really need to pick them up, the bagger gets too full too fast and you're best off with a big sweeper.

Big downside with the 42 inch deck is it doesn't extend past the wheels. This means you must get too close to objects and that's only possible with 4 wheel steer. 42 inch deck with just front steer would be too difficult to cut around objects and it would force you to max out steering to left or right (takes more steering effort and front wheels tare up grass more).

Something not really mentioned much is 42 inch deck has larger blades which are significantly louder especially lift blades. I think consumer reports documents it in their review. Its seriously loud in comparison to 54 inch deck with mulch blades.

In summary, I would not recommend 42 inch deck. I have 54 inch and have some concerns about it as well. I think 48 inch is a the one to choose.

In regards to power steering, I think you want it and I wouldn't cheap out only to regret or try to aftermarket it later. The upgraded all terrain rear wheels really help traction and I think you must get 54 inch deck to get those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for reply minthral ; my original reason like posted; for wanting a 42 inch deck ; 67 yrs. old now, small property, ease of handling on and off , ease of storage and I’ve read several other posts that say the 42 inch deck cuts just fine and 41” wide wheel base of 580 allows for complete cut. Thanks John

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Actually it does extend Past the wheels Look at Post 22 On the Non discharge side same for the Older X540 You Can trim with these actually it does extend Past the wheels on the X500 series Look at Post 22 On the Non discharge side same for the Older X540 You Can trim with these I have a Older GX335 with a 42inch deck as well and the Tractor is actually 41.8 Inches wide or .8 Inches wider then the X500 series. I have Both a Deere 54inch deck and a Deere 42inch Deck the PTO Noise is about the same Consumer reports Rate a Lot of thing as Best Buys when there actually some of there choice Most on these forums wouldn't actually buy. But we only represent a small Portion of actual owners world wide.
The HDAP tires are Not deck specific to get You can Get them On any 2WS X500 series do to width the X584 come with Turf tires as Carlisle doesn't Make a HDAP style In 24X9.50 -12

Now as to the OTC Cab Love them But Have One On My JD X748 that said Some take it Off complete I take Mine off Into easy to assemble sections The hardest Part Putting Back together is the fender brackets if You Leave the Left rear Tire On Your supposed to remove that on the X700 series But I have special edition tires with 72lb wheel weights and those a PIA to Take of any tire anyways Otherwise It would Probably Take me 2 hrs to reassemble each year instead of 2.5 hours. For storage reason I don't Take the Cab off whole By Just UN-fastening 12 Bolts I think for ease of use the OEM Cab for the X500 series goes On faster and stores Better then the OTC Cab.

The OTC Cab On the X700 series The steering wheel is very close to the Cab Fabric which goes over the wheel and dash so it Is Kind of tight over the dash other then That it is very roomy inside the same It Looks Like the OTC Cab does the same thing with the X500 series the Cab is close over the dash Panel Though still usable.
Now some People Just Take the Fabric and windshield off in the summer and use it as a sun shade Because OTC does offer screen cab to go on it now . But if You have low hanging tree Branches that cab will be a Branch catcher.

I do recommend getting the Glass windshield if You Go with a OTC Cab I have a Manual wiper On My OTC Cab I think they come with electric wipers But I really don't see the need for it the way the windshield is On the Cab snow Doesn't stick to bad Like a Car or Truck and a quick occasional wipe is all you really need

I ran many of My Tractors out In the elements without a Cab for Years Including Both My sub Compact and Compact I just clean the snow off the dash when I am done so it doesn't melt on the dash (y)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts