My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; I’m considering purchasing a X570 going into retirement over x580 or x590 for savings; I have a somewhat smaller property 3/4 acre with 150 ft. double wide driveway; this being the case I would like to get the X570 and order it with the 42a Accel deck because of the smaller cutting area and smaller storage area; and go with a 44 inch snowblower for a smaller driveway and opted for X570 for differential lock to aid snowblowing small hill in driveway and better towing capability; from what I’ve read the steering on the X570 isn’t very difficult even though it’s manual ; if I ran into issues with the steering feeling heavy could I add a electric actuator to manipulate power steering? I’d like the smaller 44 inch snowblower but reading that it has a plastic chute and plastic auger does it make me feel too good and I’ve read that the Bercomac 44” Snowblower comes with a power lift which would aid usage if manual pedal lift got to be to much? So again my main question is will John Deere dealers give me any trouble ordering X570 with the 42 a Accel mover deck? One of the posters Sergeant has been extremely helpful with many of my questions and I’d like to thank him! Thanks again John

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello; I’m considering purchasing a X570 going into retirement over x580 or x590 for savings; I have a somewhat smaller property 3/4 acre with 150 ft. double wide driveway; this being the case I would like to get the X570 and order it with the 42a Accel deck because of the smaller cutting area and smaller storage area; and go with a 44 inch snowblower for a smaller driveway and opted for X570 for differential lock to aid snowblowing small hill in driveway and better towing capability; from what I’ve read the steering on the X570 isn’t very difficult even though it’s manual ; if I ran into issues with the steering feeling heavy could I add a electric actuator to manipulate power steering? I’d like the smaller 44 inch snowblower but reading that it has a plastic chute and plastic auger does it make me feel too good and I’ve read that the Bercomac 44” Snowblower comes with a power lift which would aid usage if manual pedal lift got to be to much? So again my main question is will John Deere dealers give me any trouble ordering X570 with the 42 a Accel mover deck? One of the posters Sergeant has been extremely helpful with many of my questions and I’d like to thank him! Thanks again John
You could add an electronic actuator, I mean anything is possible, but the question would be the effort involved to make it work. On something like that, if you have any hesitation, its better to buy the system in the first place, not try to replicate it later, in my opinion at least. My old set up was not power steering, and the steering wasn't too bad, but power steering makes a huge difference for moving quickly. The 44" and 47" both come with plastic augers and chutes, but that's never really troubled me. I do like the plastic chute just for the fact its one less thing to have to repaint every year. Is your driveway straight? The 44" will not clear the entire width of your rear tire track, so if you have many turns, you back will be cutting through the snow instead of having the cleared path that the 47" provides -- at least that is my understanding.

There is only a $1300 difference between the x570 and the x580 new, given that you aren't sure about the power steering (which no one has ever regretted buying) and the hydraulic lift, you might be getting close spending the same down the road? Also, what's the price difference between the JD 44 and the berco? I was quoted $1400 from the dealer for the 44" when I bought the tractor vs. the $1800 list price for the berco with the electric lift option (how good of a deal will the berco dealer be willing to make?). So now you're only saving $900 between the 570 and 580, and then factor in the power steering component. When you buy the JD blower with the tractor, you get the full 4 year warranty with the tractor, vs. the one year on the berco. Four years is more than enough time to test the plastic impeller and chute fully if that is a concern. I have no idea if the dealer will work with you on the 42" deck, can only ask.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A couple of points. A 44" blower will fit and work just fine on the x500 series. I have one on a X540 and am very pleased. The width of the X500 series is 41" so no issues there as to clearing width. If you can afford the extra cost, hydraulics is the way to go. Once you have tried it you would never want to go without. This is particularly important with a blower as it gets old fast lifting with even spring assist and given you are heading into retirement. The JD blower is designed to seamlessly fit these machines......easy on and off. I considered the Berco as I considered it (and still do) a much better overall blower. But it is not a seamless fit and their powered lift is nowhere near as neat and tidy as JD.
Cannot comment on the 42" deck, but even with 3/4 acre I think the 48" would serve you well.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It really depends on the dealer, they didn't try to help me at all. I wanted to buy an X590 or X580 w/42" deck but that's another long drawn out story. For a while you could order the X580 w/o a deck and order a 42" deck for it; I also tried that also but no local dealers would do it. John (Sergeant) was super helpful supplying info during that fiasco with the JD dealers.
I ended up buying a Cub XT3 GS w/42" deck but if had to do it over I would really try again to buy one with hydraulics and 42" deck for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A couple of points. A 44" blower will fit and work just fine on the x500 series. I have one on a X540 and am very pleased. The width of the X500 series is 41" so no issues there as to clearing width. If you can afford the extra cost, hydraulics is the way to go. Once you have tried it you would never want to go without. This is particularly important with a blower as it gets old fast lifting with even spring assist and given you are heading into retirement. The JD blower is designed to seamlessly fit these machines......easy on and off. I considered the Berco as I considered it (and still do) a much better overall blower. But it is not a seamless fit and their powered lift is nowhere near as neat and tidy as JD.
Cannot comment on the 42" deck, but even with 3/4 acre I think the 48" would serve you well.
Sorry, I meant that while turning, the 44" won't clear the tracks as well as the 47". Didn't mean to suggest that would be an issue in the straights.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry, I meant that while turning, the 44" won't clear the tracks as well as the 47". Didn't mean to suggest that would be an issue in the straights.
True, at least on a sharp turn......if you can actually complete one on slippery surfaces. :)
For me it has never been an issue. The 44" blower fits my walkways where the 47" would have been more awkward. Sounded like the OP was looking for the smaller unit precisely for its size. Either will work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
True, at least on a sharp turn......if you can actually complete one on slippery surfaces. :)
For me it has never been an issue. The 44" blower fits my walkways where the 47" would have been more awkward. Sounded like the OP was looking for the smaller unit precisely for its size. Either will work.
Yeah, I was just thinking that I have a couple 45 degree angles to turn into on my driveway and the 47" clears enough I don't run through the snow as I corner, but where I need to make a turnaround at the end, I have to take a few passes when the snow is high to cut a path without getting the inside tire buried. If OPs driveway is nice and straight, I don't see the issue, but just wanted to warn of it since I wasn't sure how much of a bend creates the issue. Probably a thought that could have well enough been left alone, hah!

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
It really depends on the dealer, they didn't try to help me at all. I wanted to buy an X590 or X580 w/42" deck but that's another long drawn out story. For a while you could order the X580 w/o a deck and order a 42" deck for it; I also tried that also but no local dealers would do it. John (Sergeant) was super helpful supplying info during that fiasco with the JD dealers.
I ended up buying a Cub XT3 GS w/42" deck but if had to do it over I would really try again to buy one with hydraulics and 42" deck for sure. Good luck.
The X570 and the X590 can be Bought less deck( while Not listed On Build and Price anymore those two model can still be bought less deck) X580 could never be bought less Deck or X530 in the Past and X580's come standard with a 54inch deck Nobody at Deere Can tell me why they don't Have all X500 series Being able to be Bought less deck The X584 use To be able to be Bought Less deck as well as the X534 But for some reason the air cooled, Carburetor , 2WS with Hydraulic lift and power steering come standard from the Factory with a 54inch deck

The 44inch is Just fine with clearing snow Tried out My friends X540 with 44inch Blower didn't run into any Issue Blowing or Loosing traction do to the Narrower Clearing width the X300 & X500 series are actually the same width the Only thing that Increases the width on the X500 series is the rear Tires and the X500 series are only 41inches wide with out a Mowing deck so rear tires will clear By about 1.5 Inches on either side You Gain a extra 1.5 Inches with the 47inch or 3 Inches either side . The 44inch is also a lot easier to Handle off the Tractor! The OP is getting to that age where Man Handling stuff is not as easy as it use to be

Now Deere does make a electric lift kit for front attachments on the X570 If wanting to go with a 47inch that would allow you to use the 47inch on the X570( not really known by most dealers as they Just Take the JD Manual or website as law).

If You Plan is a X570 order with 42inch deck Plus Put HDAP tires Instead of turf and 44inch Blower But add the electric Lift Kit to the order with 4 suitcase weights On the Rear You should have no traction issues. What is nice with the Deere electric lift kit it does give You the ability to have down Pressure on the Blower which You won't get with Bercomac as the electric Lift On that utilizes a electric winch! Even the Hydraulic Lift On the X580 and above doesn't give you the ability to have down Pressure the way the Lift for the Blower and Blade are designed On the Hydraulic lift is to give you a built In float mode (y)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
My bad, was thinking a couple of years the X580 was the only model that could be purchased without a deck until they equipped it with the 54" deck as standard. If memory serves a couple of years ago the X570/X590 couldn't be ordered without a deck and would have to order one with a 48" deck in hopes the dealer would swap it out with a 42" deck from a X300 series.
Again so much was going on and I don't recall all the details nor can find all the posts generated a couple of years ago other than it was a bust.(y)

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
For what is worth I bought a new x580 last Spring with a 48 deck with no problems. They just gave a deck off another x5 series and cut the price of the tractor by the cost difference of the decks. That was with Mid State JD in Wis. Roger

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Op just needs to contact his dealer regarding them putting on a 42" deck then go from there. Personally I wouldn't do it but not my deal. There's reasons why that deck isn't offered with the 500 series. Not to mention resell value down the road. Not many people looking for or want a x570/580/584/590 with a 42" deck. Things to consider...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Op just needs to contact his dealer regarding them putting on a 42" deck then go from there. Personally I wouldn't do it but not my deal. There's reasons why that deck isn't offered with the 500 series. Not to mention resell value down the road. Not many people looking for or want a x570/580/584/590 with a 42" deck. Things to consider...
I agree, but a few good reasons for getting a 42” deck is that with a bagger you don’t need a PowerFlow. However, baggers get old faster than we do. 42” decks can fit into narrower places, especially with a bagger chute increasing the width.

With all that said, I would still buy at least a 48” deck. Resale of an X570, X580, X590 will loose almost the cost of a new deck when sold. I can’t stress enough how much difference power steering makes as we get older, even if we can handle it now. You may not need it now, but will. You may not be planning someone else, like your wife, using it, but odds are in that favor as we get older. Having been retired 5 yrs now, I don’t regret spending more money than I had planned, a lot more. I know there’s sticker shock looking at an X7xx, but having the X738 and my son having the X730, neither of us regret anything about our machines.

I really like the HAWD on the X738, the ease of removing or installing the drive over deck, the AutoConnect on the deck, Power Steering, weight of an X7xx machine, stability on steep lawns, traction with HDAP tires without extra weights, and the EFI engine starts quickly in all temperatures.

If the OP stays with the X5xx’s I’d recommend the X580, X590 if he stores the machine in unheated conditions and wants to snow blow. I’d also stay with a 47” blower. Even with my 54”, after going up the sidewalk in deep snow, backing up very far becomes a challenge to not drive over some snow. After making one pass up a driveway, you have to back completely down the driveway and clear another pass or back up some then turn into the next pass. I clear enough before turning side to side to clear in front of a garage. At my house, I shovel away from the house far enough to turn around.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The things I like with a 42" deck especially at my age and health is upkeep, servicing and quality of the cut. It is much lighter to handle than a 48" or 54", only 2 blades and 2 spindles to keep up, belts are cheaper, leveling is easier and cut quality is fantastic; at least on mine. Plus it only requires about 15-20 minutes more of mowing time per 2 acres than the 48"/54" deck.
Sergeant can tell you how a 42" deck does on a X500 series, he knows someone who has one.

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
My bad, was thinking a couple of years the X580 was the only model that could be purchased without a deck until they equipped it with the 54" deck as standard. If memory serves a couple of years ago the X570/X590 couldn't be ordered without a deck and would have to order one with a 48" deck in hopes the dealer would swap it out with a 42" deck from a X300 series.
Again so much was going on and I don't recall all the details nor can find all the posts generated a couple of years ago other than it was a bust.(y)
Nope The X580 has always been sold with the 54inch deck Never had the option of being sold without a deck same goes for the X530 in the Past. The X570 & X590 have always been able to be Ordered less deck same for the X500, X534 & X540 (y)

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
The reason originally that the 42inch wasn't offered for the X500 series had to do with the Diff/lock Pedal Once the deck was changed it didn't Interfere with the diff/lock pedal it wasn't Marketed after the fix In the Literature but it was available

But Deere did Put together Maintenance sheets with a 42inch decks on the X540 shown below. Around here in the Midwest People still want 42inch decks On there X500 series The Deere dealer where My Brother Runs the service Department they average 5 to 10 42inch decks a year On the X500 series so maybe in your neck of the woods they don't. The deck size won't really affected resale by that much at least not around the Midwest. Dealers cut is a Little Lower Then the standard $800 to $900 they make On a new X500 series. $800 for a X570 with a 48inch deck $825 for a X570 with a 54inch deck The dealers Cut goes up as you add attachments (y)
42inch edge.jpg
42 Mulch.jpg

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My comment on resale being lower was based on the fact that when someone is spending the extra $$$ buying a tractor that is capable of a 54” deck, a 42” is less inviting and will likely be swapped out. There are other reason/needs that will cause someone to buy an X5xx, but generally, most people buying a tractor where a 42” deck is all they need won’t be buying an X5xx. They are more likely to buy a Dxxx or X3xx saving significant $$$. It totally depends on NEEDS and available $$$ to spend. More often than not $$$ even override NEEDS.

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
Bought a used 2012 X540 with a 54inch deck Had them keep the 54inch deck was given a $400 discount as I was Putting a 42inch deck On it Now the Tractor wasn't for me and it was for Mowing a Half acre. Also Bought a Used 2004 GX335 with a 54inch deck again was Given a $400 discount as I was Putting a 42inch deck on it That was for Me The GX335 was bought first then the X540 same Month though In 2016. The GX335 was Originally Purchased to mow a 2.5 acre Lot That Had some Gates that a 54 was to big for But for the Price of a Used 48inch deck I bought two slightly used 42inch decks The 42inch for the X540 had Never Mowed Grass as the Person Had Bought a 42M the X300 series came from the Factory originally with a 42 Inch edge deck The Deck for the GX335 had come Off a LX289 which the Original owner slid into into the drink with Bought a GX355 again with a 42inch deck to replace the water Logged LX289. The LX289 was used as shop tug by the dealer. That same dealer actually sells a Lot of X500 series Models with 42inch decks do to the Need for Diff/lock On some of the steep But 1/2 acre or smaller Lake Yards In the Chain O Lakes area In Lake country, IL (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The X570 and the X590 can be Bought less deck( while Not listed On Build and Price anymore those two model can still be bought less deck) X580 could never be bought less Deck or X530 in the Past and X580's come standard with a 54inch deck Nobody at Deere Can tell me why they don't Have all X500 series Being able to be Bought less deck The X584 use To be able to be Bought Less deck as well as the X534 But for some reason the air cooled, Carburetor , 2WS with Hydraulic lift and power steering come standard from the Factory with a 54inch deck

The 44inch is Just fine with clearing snow Tried out My friends X540 with 44inch Blower didn't run into any Issue Blowing or Loosing traction do to the Narrower Clearing width the X300 & X500 series are actually the same width the Only thing that Increases the width on the X500 series is the rear Tires and the X500 series are only 41inches wide with out a Mowing deck so rear tires will clear By about 1.5 Inches on either side You Gain a extra 1.5 Inches with the 47inch or 3 Inches either side . The 44inch is also a lot easier to Handle off the Tractor! The OP is getting to that age where Man Handling stuff is not as easy as it use to be

Now Deere does make a electric lift kit for front attachments on the X570 If wanting to go with a 47inch that would allow you to use the 47inch on the X570( not really known by most dealers as they Just Take the JD Manual or website as law).

If You Plan is a X570 order with 42inch deck Plus Put HDAP tires Instead of turf and 44inch Blower But add the electric Lift Kit to the order with 4 suitcase weights On the Rear You should have no traction issues. What is nice with the Deere electric lift kit it does give You the ability to have down Pressure on the Blower which You won't get with Bercomac as the electric Lift On that utilizes a electric winch! Even the Hydraulic Lift On the X580 and above doesn't give you the ability to have down Pressure the way the Lift for the Blower and Blade are designed On the Hydraulic lift is to give you a built In float mode (y)
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again Sarge for all your useful information ; I am still considering the X570 with the 42 inch deck and the 42 inch snowblower ( I’m not too keen on the plastic parts in the snowblower but you mentioned they seem to hold up all OK ; plus I will get the same four year warranty on the snowblower as the tractor if I purchase at same time like you mentioned before ) again my age. as well as small property and handling of attachments are some of the reasons I am still going in this direction ; I also have been reading a few posts where one fellow had numerous problems with his father’s new x590 ; power steering leaks, efi controlled Kawasaki operation issues ; just to name a few and I’m somewhat in the believing of having the simpler unit like the x570 might lead to less breakdowns. I like the thought of the down pressure with the front lift actuator; my only concern is adding the weight of the lifting unit and the snowblower will the steering become very heavy and difficult. If worse came to worse is there actuators you could add to the steering ? I have read through many posts that the X570 has a very tight turning radius ( tighter than x580 and x590 ) and a light feeling steer. I feel the manual lift of the smaller 42 inch deck shouldn’t be an issue and steering also without a blower attached. Thanks again Sarge ; for all the responses.

·
Super Moderator
16,463 Posts
Have a 38inch Thrower for a Manual steer Cub Cadet the Thrower is about as Heavy as a Deere 44inch Blower that 106 has Manual steer never had any issue with steering The Problem was always Lifting the Old IH spring assists just are not as Good as Deere's spring assist weather for a old 112 or a Modern X500 series and the Older electric actuators used in the 70's are a Lot slower then the Modern actuators well the Power steering system is actually pretty reliable In the Deere system Not saying you don't get a Bad steering cylinder every so often as it a Mass Produced Part, It Happens But the 16 your old steering cylinder On My GX335 hasn't had a Issue My friends 8 year Old X540 hasn't had a issue either and it the same cylinder design that is used on the X590 EFI issues even Happen in the Bigger X700 series with the shaft driven EFI engines. The Carb Kawasaki engines are very reliable The 16inch Turn radius is Nice with the X570 Very tight compared to the X500 series with Power steering at 22inches about the Only attachment which Deere doesn't Make for the X500 series is a Loader which I really think it a Must for Power steering. Manual steer is not fun with that attachment even On the Bigger Utility Tractors, But Blower Or thrower or Blade I really never had a issue with Manual steer! That said one you use power steering you may never want to go back to Manual steer on a Garden tractor (y)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts