My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
My X500 with 48 inch deck scalps some but only where a hole exists from giant tree root rotting away below the turf. I cut at 3.5 inches and get a great cut on the lawn otherwise. I have exposed Poplar roots from 6 trees in the back yard and have to literally creep over them, with foot on the lift pedal to be sure the deck doesn't catch on one of them. One of these days, I'll address those issues in the lawn. But one thing is for sure, It isn't the deck or tractor's fault.

Rarefish mentioned the wheel tracks. With mostly clay soils, I have the same issue. It starts in spring and they just wear deeper. So I too switched to a somewhat flat "X" pattern with my front and back yards being more a rectangle than square. I alternate which of the "X legs" I mow each week, which keeps the ruts from forming.

By the way, the cut quality rapidly goes down with increased mower deck height. Grasses tend to lay down on very high settings. If you have to mow that high to avoid scalping in spots, it is probably best to bite the bullet and get the turf smoothed out like I need to.

Hint: Never let a lawn "crisis" go to waste. Here is a good opportunity to get your spouse to agree to a bigger tractor with a front loader.... and maybe even a tiller, and other finishing equipment!! . You know..."to improve the yard". 馃榿

Registered
20200628_182743.jpg 20200628_182602.jpg 20200628_182557.jpg 20200618_140225.jpg
Mowed this 3 acres today with a new X570, 54", set at 3.25", no issues. I think you need to raise your gauge wheels. There are set at 1 or 1.5" below the bottom of the deck, based on the picture.

Registered
The Deere manual for at least some decks says this:
NOTE: Bottom of wheels should be approximately 3-13 mm (1/8-1/2 in.) from the ground.
If you do this and the ground is not perfect, the deck will move up. My ground is too imperfect for that. So, I agree moving the deck wheels up is the right thing to do. But, that will mean the cut can be more uneven.

Registered
The area shown in my pictures is far from a manicured lawn. It has many rough areas. I am happy how the cut turned out (this was the first time with the X570.)
Reminds me of an ad our local JD dealer had for an older used machine. "Runs good, moves good. Will make tall grass short."

Registered
There are set at 1 or 1.5" below the bottom of the deck, based on the picture.
Yeah, that is where I have mine set, about 4 holes showing above pin on the adjustment for the deck wheels. If you look at the chart on the top of the deck, that is for about a 2" cut height or so.

You have done what I did, adjust the deck wheels to prevent the deck from completely scalping the lawn. I believe, and your experience confirms, this is a good way to get a decent cut on a less than perfect lawn surface.

There are a few threads where people have complained that on the X534 with a 54" deck, they have to get the wheels basically touching the ground or the cut is uneven. Now that I have used the X534 several times and have measured what is happening to the deck on turns, I see why. The AWS on the X534 will tilt the deck down (and up on the other side) as much as 3/4" at full lock. That is noticable. If the wheels are basically touching the ground, they will prevent the deck from tilting, since they will support it. But, then the tiny wheels on the deck will highlight much smaller changes that the bigger wheels of the tractor would not notice. The X570 probably does not have this issue as my X300 does not. I still like AWS and am figuring out the patterns that give the best cut. The competition for best cut is intense on this forum, so I really need to up my game or people will start laughing at my pathetic cutting skills 馃槈

I guess I am going to have to level my deck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks guys. I do have the deck wheels about 1/2" off the ground. I'll move them up a few holes and see if the cut suffers too much!

Registered
Switch to a checkerboard pattern and start a foot or so over each time you mow. Believe it or not, in a year you can tell the difference, especially if you mow when the ground is damp. That's one reason they like to aerate, the ground gets packed down by the lawn tractors, if you spread the pattern out the lawn will get smoother and smoother.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts