My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what my Vt Deere dealer had to say- Could be ring gap, cylinder's of
spec, vacuum on shut down. They are willing to check machine BUT...
Jd says it still can happen even if everything checks out. Hmmmm.....
I have just 40 hrs on mine and not a happy owner. Bought the machine late last Aug. Changed oil/filter at 8hrs then at 40hrs last wk. Did I get lemmon or what. Let's hear some real answers please:greendr:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let's hear it folks, I am not buying to the choke/ throttle bullshi$$
advce........:sorry1:

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
In 1999, I bought a new LX279, it always smoked on start up(Kawasaki motor), at that time, it did not matter, or bother me.
My 360 does not smoke, if it did, it might bother me now.
I think the consensus is it does not do any harm, and you can't stop it from doing it.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Depends on the kind of smoke.. lots of new gas V Twins smoke on shut down and it is excess fuel, my Kohler 26HP did it brand new. If it's white smoke and doesn't smell like oil, chances are it's the excess fuel being burnt off on shut down.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
ok....from wat I've seen....all the new engines will smoke some on start-up.....black smoke from over-fuelin with choke.... if the smoke has a blue tint....that is oil burnin....somthin to worry bout...not much tho....just check the oil leval before startin & aftewards a period of time's use...
I f u have to add a lotta oil then b very worried.....lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh... forgot to say it's BLUE smoke ...... and I run the 47" blower in the winter. This is a cold start problem......:thanku:

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Blue=on shut down, some oil is getting past the rings, and then when you start the motor, that oil is burnt.
I think that is how it works.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'll throw out a funny thing - I've never seen this happen on commercial-use Kawasaki v-twin. Anyone else...right, you haven't either. Why? Those users run the dog-crap out of them for hundreds of hours and the rings get seated in a short period of time. And there have been a lot of JD lawn tractors or L&G tractors with these engines put into commercial duty over the years.

Like it or not, that's the answer...the Kaw L/C twin is so wear-resistant that it takes a homeowner forever to get the rings fully seated. As folks have said here, it's been going on since that engine debuted in the old 285's back in '89 and got worse when that engine started showing up in lawn tractors (LX188 et al). Unseated rings = less than optimum seal = oil getting past them on shutdown.

You could re-ring it, bore it and rebuild it, or replace the whole engine, and it's still going to happen sometimes. It's considered normal like the dealer said. Go cut as much tall grass as you can find and get a couple hundred hours on it, then we'll talk. You baby your tractor too much!

:drunkie:

P.S. - I understand it sucks when your neighbors see it happen.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have a 17 twin kaw in a 03 toro 250hrs. Has always had smoke at startup and has never changed no matter temp.
Always change oil/filter @ 35 -50 hrs. end of season always still full.
Runs as strong as it did the day it was new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Sir I, do Not baby the engine. I have owned cub cadets and kubota's diesal motors for many yrs.... NEVER seen this before. Don't be a ******* and bust my chops... OK:trink40:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No Sir I, do Not baby the engine. I have owned cub cadets and kubota's diesal motors for many yrs.... NEVER seen this before. Don't be a ******* and bust my chops... OK:trink40:
Glad you caught the spirit at which it was given. :trink39:

I now Kawasaki made some changes 3-4 years ago to help with this as they discussed it at a Kawasaki training I attended. I think they removed some "oil drainback" holes from the bottom of the piston. So what you are experiencing actually used to be worse years ago.

Regardless, I fully understand how agrivating this can be.

The dealer should do the full diagnostics on it, which would be a cylinder leakdown test (that WILL tell you if the rings are seated or not) and a crankcase vacuum test (looking for CC pressure). The Cyl Leak Test will also tell you if both cylinders are equal, or if one has a problem.

You might also want to pull the plugs and see if one looks worse than the other. Or, take off one plug wire when you start it. Then another day, try it with the other side. If you can narrow it down to one offending cylinder, you've got a lot more to go on.

I hope all is resolved to your satisfaction. Best of luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Engine tech- Thanks for your input. Rings should seat in 8-10 hrs. If the Kawasaki motor is known for this , that's OK. Like I said it's not my first tractor I have owned. Runs like a bear... My point is after doeing out 7k for tractor/blower it just struck me the wrong way. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Engine tech- Thanks for your input. Rings should seat in 8-10 hrs. If the Kawasaki motor is known for this , that's OK. Like I said it's not my first tractor I have owned. Runs like a bear... My point is after doeing out 7k for tractor/blower it just struck me the wrong way. :fing32:
I fully understand, I really do. I'm serious though, these things take forever to seat the rings in a homeowner application. I've seen these engines running strong at 1,600+ hours, so you get the idea that they don't "wear in" too quickly.

I really do expect it will get better as time goes on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engine tech- That's good advice but at this point I am going to feel out a few other dealers in the area. I did not mean to rub ANYONE the wong way with my post. I put hard earn money into this tractor and just want to make things right.......:greendr:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had the same thing with my X540. After sitting 3-4 days when it started I would get a puff of smoke 5-15 sec. would depend on how many days I did not run it. when it was run every day no smoke. It did get better with higher hours. It had 98 hrs. when I traded it for my X728, stilled puffed about 1/2 what it did at 20 hrs.
Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
VtKtm, the manual that came with my LX280 stated to break in the motor under high load, mowing, pulling etc. Engine tech is right most folks baby them to much and it takes a long time to break in. As was stated go mow lots of thick grass or load up a small trailer with some weight and find a hill to climb.
Thats what I'm doing on my new 530 with 7 hrs and tomorrow I get to rip out some shrubs at the wifes request, will be putting the HDAPS's to work. Always a chance there is something wrong but hopefully not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
runs like a bear? I thought they were supposed to run like a Deere? Or in VT perhaps a moose?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts