My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the 48" deck and right now I have it configured with the factory mulch kit and stock mulch blades. As compared to using the bagging setup, it seems that the deck now has zero vacuum(which is understandable). What I mean by this is the mower will now leave patches of uncut grass. It's almost as if the grass gets laid down by the wheels and while under the deck, the grass stays down. With the bag and power flow vac assembly, I believe the vacuum created stands the grass up straight and results in a much superior cut. Is this just the nature of mulching? Would using different blades help? I'm aware of the 1/3 rule when mulching but still I'm getting poor results. I'm actually considering putting the bagging system back on and leaving the bags off and just letting the grass clipping fall where they may.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
did you relevel the deck after you removed the bagger? the weight of it would have tended to push the right side down. with it off, it may be a little out of whack.

you could also be mowing too fast. when the mulch plug is on, you need to go slow.

i personally prefer to just use Gator blades and side discharge. they mulch it up fine, but you don't hav eto slow as much as you do with the mulch kits.

also, keep in mind that the 1/3 rule has some variables. if your grass is 3" and you cut it to 2" that is one thing. but if it is 6" and you cut it to 4" you are going to have problems!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I did all the above. One of the reasons I hesitate putting the bagger back on is it's a real pain to level the deck. I'm always amazed on how much I have to compensate on the right draft arm when the bagger is installed. The most I take off at any given time is about an inch and a half. Sometimes business dictates that I'm gone a bit longer and so I "power through" on those occasions. I'm starting to lean towards the gator/open discharge option. I just hate paying for something that doesn't live up to my expectations.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got an X500 with 48" deck and mulching kit, and have noticed the same thing. Mowing slower seems to reduce this, at least for me.

I have to say that this combo is a huge improvement over my old LX173 with 38" deck and tricycler mulch kit. The X500 setup mulches very clean while the old rig always left clumps.

NHskier

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the dedicated 42" mulching deck on my X300 and when I mow my lawn I have no problem at all. It does an excellent job. However, the other day I mowed a part of the field outback that I don't usually mow I experienced exactly what you are talking about. Granted the grass was up past my knees but after I would make a pass with the deck at 4" there would be a bunch of grass sticking up. I found that mowing a strip forward and mowing the same strip in reverse worked well. Mowing in reverse actually worked better than forward. I wasn't expecting to get a good mow on the first pass with such tall grass didn't think it was going to be as bad as it did and didn't expect to get a n
better mow in reverse.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mowing in reverse actually worked better than forward. I wasn't expecting to get a good mow on the first pass with such tall grass didn't think it was going to be as bad as it did and didn't expect to get a n
better mow in reverse.
I've found this to be true as well. I suspect my neck would get a bit sore to do the whole yard this way way. :ROF I usually have to mow the yard twice to get that nice manicured look. I'll reverse my pattern on the second pass and that usually will do the trick. Mowing twice does take the utility or efficiency out of mulching though.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Like I said before - I don't have any problem with my lawn cutting at 3 1/4 even when the grass is a little taller than normal. After I mow my lawn looks like a golf course and it's striped too. Maybe this is the difference between the dedicated mulching deck vs the mulch kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts