My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shacker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out visiting my SIL and he has an X540, 2010, 650 hours. After taking it for a ride, I notice it rolls to a stop, both forward and reverse. Not the instant stop like my 345 and X728. Is there an adjustment or something else going on? All fluids were changed less than 10 hours ago.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Not being familiar with JD but does it have a pedal dampener kinda like a mini gas strut that returns the pedals to the neutral position? My Cub had one that broke on one end that connects to the pedal lever only allowing it to coast to a stop unless the rev. pedal was lightly feathered. Good luck.

·
Shacker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being familiar with JD but does it have a pedal dampener kinda like a mini gas strut that returns the pedals to the neutral position? My Cub had one that broke on one end that connects to the pedal lever only allowing it to coast to a stop unless the rev. pedal was lightly feathered. Good luck.
I think you are correct. Upon further investigation, I see exactly what you’re talking about. Looks to be an easy fix. Thank you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think you are correct. Upon further investigation, I see exactly what you’re talking about. Looks to be an easy fix. Thank you.
Before you drop the $100+ on replacing that damper, its function, at least on my GX345 and the other tractors I have looked into, is to slow the return of the pedals to the neutral position to prevent the tractor from jerking to a stop.

I suggest disconnecting the damper to see if it resolves the issue before replacing it as they are not cheap.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have a X500 which I purchased new and it acts the very same way. My previous tractor was a 175 Hydro and when you would move the hydro control it would stop instantly. In fact, it would even slide the tires if you moved the lever too quickly. I never ever needed to use the brake pedal or parking brake on the 175 because unless you pushed in the bypass lever it would not move. The X500 on the other hand rolls to a stop more gently and will in fact roll away on a hill if you don't set the parking brake.

·
Shacker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before you drop the $100+ on replacing that damper, its function, at least on my GX345 and the other tractors I have looked into, is to slow the return of the pedals to the neutral position to prevent the tractor from jerking to a stop.

I suggest disconnecting the damper to see if it resolves the issue before replacing it as they are not cheap.
Good point. And yeah, $100 is correct. :swow: I will disconnect and see what happens.

I have a X500 which I purchased new and it acts the very same way. My previous tractor was a 175 Hydro and when you would move the hydro control it would stop instantly. In fact, it would even slide the tires if you moved the lever too quickly. I never ever needed to use the brake pedal or parking brake on the 175 because unless you pushed in the bypass lever it would not move. The X500 on the other hand rolls to a stop more gently and will in fact roll away on a hill if you don't set the parking brake.
Both of my tractors would do this if I’m not gentle with the pedals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a section in the tech manual called "Transaxle Neutral Adjustment" that says to lift rear wheels and turn "eccentric nut forwards and backwards until the wheels stop turning." I'm not as knowledgeable as the other posters on this thread but I thought it might help in some way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The "Transaxle Neutral Adjustment" will not help you with this. It only needs adjusted if you have fwd or rev creep while in neutral (although the root cause for that creep is usually worn bushings).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts