My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my JD 2305 in on a JD 3720 for industrial tree work and just bought a used X540 for mowing 1.5 acres. I discovered that (1) when you fully engage the brake the mower deck shuts off and (2) when you back up the mower deck will disengage unless you move the PTO handle up to a higher position and even then sometimes it still disengages.

I realize (I think) that these are intended to be safety features but in my environment and mowing conditions I don't need them and in fact when mowing down hill trying to use the brake can be hazardous. I would appreciate any advice / guidance on how to disconnect or bypass these two features.

Also, with my 2305 with the hydrostatic transmission when you let off the pedal the machine stopped on a hill. With this X540 it does not. Also testing this X540 on a hill with the brake fully engaged it does not stop.. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
No it is not normal, my X520 will stop on a hill.
You have the RIO almost right, If you lift up the PTO handle and start to back up, you may let go of the handle till you stop. ( i.e. you could concievebly back up a mile without touching the PTO handle)
If your tractor is " taking off down the hill " it shouldn't.
Yes the brake will stop the attachments but allow you to get off with out shutting down the engine, LOL, better than nothing :dunno:
The pedals have been known to get out of adjustment on the X500 series.
After about a 100 hours it would take 3 feet to stop forward and slam stop in reverse, the dealer fixed it :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Thank you Harryc for letting him know that we don't discuss safety bypassing on the site.

Jim, letting off the pedal should stop it quickly uphill, downhill or on level ground. Thinking maybe you have a release valve sticking somewhere. Some of the other members who own this series should jump in and help you through that.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The RIO can be a bit of a pain until you get used to it. But before you know it, lifting up on the PTO just before you back up will become automatic. Everyone complains about it at first.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I don't understand all the flap about RIO:dunno:....honestly can you chew gum and walk at the same time? Thats about all it takes to master it....and if you deliberatly disable and you or someone else is hurt...not only will your insurance not back you up, but your going to lose your shirt in civil court:Stop:.

·
MTF Member
152 Posts
The RIO can be a bit of a pain until you get used to it. But before you know it, lifting up on the PTO just before you back up will become automatic. Everyone complains about it at first.
Man, do I know what you mean. Last year my neighbor, while recuperating from surgery, asked me to mow his lawn. He insisted I use his mower, a 300 series JD. Not being used to RIO, it agitated me so much, I went back home and got my 318 to finish mowing and used my tractor the rest of the Summer on his lawn. :banghead3

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Man, do I know what you mean. Last year my neighbor, while recuperating from surgery, asked me to mow his lawn. He insisted I use his mower, a 300 series JD. Not being used to RIO, it agitated me so much, I went back home and got my 318 to finish mowing and used my tractor the rest of the Summer on his lawn. :banghead3
Something about old dogs new ...................:dunno:

·
Registered
841 Posts
On the X540, when you hit the brake does it engage the diff lock pedal at the same time? On the X7's it does. If not, press the diff lock and the brake at the same time. That should prevent wheel slippage, which is likely why it won't hold on the hill. I've never heard of an actual brake problem in the trans.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
No it doesn't .

·
MTF Member
152 Posts
Something about old dogs new ...................:dunno:
That could be some of it. :rolleyes:

But also with me, it is the government intervention of trying to IDIOT PROOF everything. I don't even want to get started on that subject or I will get kicked of this great forum. :1336:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I appreciate your feedback. I've been a real John Deere fan until I bought this thing. My JD 2305 didn't do any of this stupidness boy I miss it. The seat switch is clearly understandable and I would not bypass it in any case and to some degree the RIO is understandable but they do give you the annorying option to override it anyway by pulling the PTO up.
But disengaging the mower deck with brake engagement escapes logic and has nothing to do with safety in my mind.
Thanks again
Jim

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
the 2305 did not do it because it is not a "residential class" mower, it is a tractor. Different set of safety rules for those.

I agree, your machine should stop when you lift off the motion pedal unless it is a real steep hill. if it is a mild grade and it continues rolling more than a couple feet then you need to have the machine checked by the dealer.

the RIO gets to be second nature, just lift it long enough to start backing and then let it go. Heck, i catch myself lifting it when backing up with the deck not even on!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The mower deck disengagement with the brakes has been around a long time. My 1993 425 does that. Yes, I found it a bit annoying on my last property since it was hilly but I got used to it and learned not to put my self in positions like that and now I appreciate it does that. If forces me to think about what I am doing when I need to get off the mower. It's just the way it is when it comes to safety equipment. You either need to buy older, another brand or go back to the SCUT if it is something you can't overcome but I suspect you will adapt.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Kind of what everyone else has mentioned. Those safety switches (while a pain) ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Some on here have read my story before. Without a safety switch my MIL might not be alive today. She was mowing next to a creek and the bank gave way (same bank and creek she mowed for 20 something years).... Drs said if the engine had not cut off rather than just losing most of the function in her left arm and hand she would have lost the arm and possibly bled out waiting on help. She actually has 4 gashes on her arm where the blades hit her.

The RIO switch will quickly become second nature much like having to press the brake to start it. My 318 is an 1988 so it does not have a brake switch yet to this day I still press the brake to start it. We had a Scotts growing up, it had the RIO switch, hated it at first after a month or so I did not even realize I was doing it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe my X534 has the same trans as the X540. From what I have read, normal operation will allow it to coast forward downhill and hold position when pointed uphill. This is how mine behaves.

The LX will hold in either direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys I'm good to go. Well I don't have small kids and I know what is going on around me. JD gives you the option to override the IRO so why put it on the machine at all? To me shutting off the deck is with full brake engagement is mindless. I have no problem with the seat switch and would not mess with it.

I understand this forum not allowing discussion on overriding so called safety features for obvious liability reasons. But this is personal choice and i don't need education from those that are so called California style safety experts.

This is my first experience with JD products below a sub contract tractor and will be my last. My son and i own a tree service company with a lot of equipment including a JD skid steer and a 3720 tractor and we'll be looking at other brands in the future... Finally, for what you pay for their equipment their service is garbage... Maybe Mihindra?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
While I completely agree with your assessment of the lowest common denominator (retard level) safety stuff, It is your own fault for not having thoroughly tried out every part of the machine prior to buying.
As for service- Some dealers suck, same for every brand of equipment, autos, appliances, etc. I hope you find one that is better for you.
With all your equipment experience, you should easily be able to make the X540 work the way you want it to.
Just don't lose any parts because it all needs to work if you ever sell it or trade it.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
thanks guys I'm good to go. Well I don't have small kids and I know what is going on around me. JD gives you the option to override the IRO so why put it on the machine at all? To me shutting off the deck is with full brake engagement is mindless. I have no problem with the seat switch and would not mess with it.

I understand this forum not allowing discussion on overriding so called safety features for obvious liability reasons. But this is personal choice and i don't need education from those that are so called California style safety experts.

This is my first experience with JD products below a sub contract tractor and will be my last. My son and i own a tree service company with a lot of equipment including a JD skid steer and a 3720 tractor and we'll be looking at other brands in the future... Finally, for what you pay for their equipment their service is garbage... Maybe Mihindra?
Well, since I guess my post would qualify me as a CA Safety Expert as you call it. In most cases the safety features are there for a reason. The RIO is basically to make you realize you are going in reverse. Accidents happen regardless if you know the machine etc etc.

Larger stuff is typically does not have the safety stuff smaller equipment does.....Its kind of like when I am mowing with the HX15 coupled to the 6415, all it does is beep at you when you get off the tractor with the PTO running.... loudly but it just beeps. So 100 hp tractor just sits there turning 15 ft of blades and it just beeps......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.