My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I first want to thank all of you for the information you post here. For the past week I have been reading many posts a learning a lot. I’m hoping you will be able to answer a few questions as I think it is time to buy a new garden tractor as my old one is starting to show its age.

I will mainly use it for cutting my lawn but once a year I like to cut about 10 acres of my land which is filled with volunteer wheat, wheat grass and a wide variety of weeds, all of which may grow up to 2 feet tall. I would actually like to do it more often if my new tractor would make it easier. For the past 13 years I have been using a 17 HP Craftsman 42” cut for this task. It goes slow, I stretch a belt here and there but I get it done.

After doing a lot of researching, I’m leaning towards the X530 and would love to hear people’s opinion and experience. The two specific questions I have are:

1. When doing the field, I would like to have the cutting height as high as possible. This looks to be about 4” when the deck is in “Transport” mode. Will there be any problems cutting with the deck in transport mode?

2. When cutting with my current unit, it can get quite bumpy in places at higher speeds due to the way the old wheat grows. I would assume the bigger tires will take care of some of this but how do you think the X530, and probably more importantly the deck, hold up in a bumpy environment.

I would appreciate any other thoughts/observations/suggestions you may have.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,522 Posts
10 acres is bad enough with a 42inch craftsman X530 would be quicker with a 54inch deck But I would look for one of these Used John Deeres
X465
X475
X485
X495
X575
X585
X595
Any of the Current X700 used
Used JD 2305 or 2210
Cub Cadet/Yanmar Sub Compact 2400 or 2450 new or used
Used Simplicity Legacy or Legacy XL
Only resaon I m suggesting these tractors Most can take a 4ft Brush Cutter of some kind either OEM or Aftermarket
But if your doing it now with a 42inch Craftsman the X530 will do a better job than the craftsman for the terrain mentioned and the tractor and the deck will hold up well.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
178 Posts
For the money you would spend on a new mower you could probably buy an older Deere tractor and a 3 pt. shredder. I saw a 4020 sell on a farm sale for $3900 the other day. Had a bad throttle linkage, but that's not too big of a problem to fix. A shredder or sickle mower would beat the heck out of a lawn mower for 10 acres.

But, if you're set on a mower, the X530 would work.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
10 acres is bad enough with a 42inch craftsman X530 would be quicker with a 54inch deck But I would look for one of these Used John Deeres
X465
X475
X485
X495
X575
X585
X595
Any of the Current X700 used
Used JD 2305 or 2210
Cub Cadet/Yanmar Sub Compact 2400 or 2450 new or used
Used Simplicity Legacy or Legacy XL
Only resaon I m suggesting these tractors Most can take a 4ft Brush Cutter of some kind either OEM or Aftermarket
But if your doing it now with a 42inch Craftsman the X530 do a better job than the craftsman for the terrain mentioned and the tractor and the deck will hold up well.:thThumbsU
:ditto::ditto::thThumbsU slkpk

·
Registered
153 Posts
TurtleBoy - I mow my 3 acre weed field with the mower on my X500 in transport position with no problem. Actually it looks quite good; almost as good as my lawn.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Why not go with the X540 with liquid cooled engine.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thanku: to everyone for your answers and suggestions. Looks like I have a few more things to think about and look for.

As far as the X540 goes, it was just a matter of not seeing enough difference in the two to make up for the price difference. I'm not sure the LC engine would mean that much to me.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
There is no difference in them exept the LC part. I've heard that they are quieter and you also dont have to clean the cooling fins out. Some of you X540 owners chime in.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
The LC engines are far better... but they come at a premium.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't see why the 530 wouldn't handle 10 acres but I would cut it with something else or mow more often( when it's only 6" tall). Normaly when some says a LC engine is "far better" I disagree but in this case I would agree with Brett especially if it gets real hot where you are at. A 54" deck is going to be eating a lot of grass and putting quite a load on the engine.
One other Idea because the 530 mows so nice get it for your yard and you could always pick up a cheap towable brush hog.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is no difference in them exept the LC part. I've heard that they are quieter and you also dont have to clean the cooling fins out. Some of you X540 owners chime in.
I own a X540 and of course recommend it highly!
There is more than a engine upgrade between the 2 models...!

X540 gives you tilt steering wheel. This was an advantage for me as I have a big belly and like the extra room. The X530 places the wheel somewhat in the middle.

X540 gives you front weight brackets. This was a bigger deal for me as I have a hill to climb and adding weight up front not only keeps the front on the ground but gives better steering when the front gets "light".

x540 gives you a more deluxe seat with a handle at the top. I use it EVERY time getting on or off the tractor.

And yes the LC engine is sweet! More quiet that the X530 and smooth! Plus you get the hood with the vent on top:fing32:

·
Super Moderator
16,522 Posts
I don't see why the 530 wouldn't handle 10 acres but I would cut it with something else or mow more often( when it's only 6" tall). Normaly when some says a LC engine is "far better" I disagree but in this case I would agree with Brett especially if it gets real hot where you are at. A 54" deck is going to be eating a lot of grass and putting quite a load on the engine.
One other Idea because the 530 mows so nice get it for your yard and you could always pick up a cheap towable brush hog.
I use a X485 to handle 5.5 acres But only mow 2.5 the rest is tilled under for garden plots. I see your Point I forgot about a towable Seperate engine Brush hog:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking that if I have a better machine, bigger deck and mow it more frequently it would be easier and quicker in the long run (probably easier on the tractor also). I started mowing for some added fire protection around the house but I also like the looks of it cut.

It can get hot here but I'm a wimp :crybaby: and only cut in the early morning or evening.

I looked at some towable mowers but am not sure my current Craftsman would be able to handle it and if I buy a new one I would like to be able to use it for both jobs.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts