My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

last summer a buddy who has a 535 brought me a spacer that went where the lift pedal would be on the x500. the retainer c clip that held it on fell off and everything came apart while he was mowing... we put it back together and i never herd from him.

late last fall i took delivery of a x530, (different dealer) never cut grass. last weekend i cut the yard and i noticed the deck wasn't lifting right. when i stopped to look, the same spacer was on the deck with the washer and clip? the lifiting arm was off the pin completely...

I talked to my buddy and he says his falls off all the time. i want to drill and tap the shaft and lock that thing on with a good bolt, but i wanted to check with you guys first. it seems the spacer is a little too long for the clip to make it in the groove on the shaft. I tried to get the shaft to walk over more for the clip to work but i was not sucessful.

the shaft looks like the factory assembled it and pinged the shaft with a centerpunch to hold the clip on? I feel the clip should fit in the groove on the shaft

any idears?
thanks
chris

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I have one :howdy: it has at least 3 years left on warrantee ........
Tell them you want it fixed right.
My buddies doen't fall off! :banghead3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another buddy is going to get a 540 soon, i showed him the bushing and told him to paint it yellow so he can find it later... i am going to pull the deck this weekend and try to fix it right, i really don't want the kids at the dealer working on my tractor. we are all going to inspect his tractor over a couple beers when he brings it home. I just wanted to hear if this was a common problem and if you guys had a good fix.

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Can you post pictures of what you're talking about?
Not sure I understand what you are saying. :dunno:
:ditto: Me either, pictures might help. :ditto:

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a fellow x530 owner, I would like a picture as well :wwp:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pics !

I think the spacer takes the place of the lift pedal on the 500, but I am not sure.

I must be tromping on the break pedal too hard or something. I tapped the shaft back over, cleaned the paint out of the groove and put the clip back on. If it falls off again I will drill/tap the end of the shaft and get a nice bolt and washer.... it just seemed strange that I know of two mowers this happened to in the first or second mow.

Attachments

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
It seems like a C-clip (in the red circle below) that wasn't properly installed. A simple problem, but one that can be missed easily too. I have a Brinly tow-behind spreader that has an axle held on with C-clips and if the clips aren't seated properly, well, the clips ("ping") are off in a hurry.

I haven't experienced this problem or heard of the issue with any other X530s from any of the owners on the MTF forums. Maybe it is a problem with assembly at the local dealer in your area? Odd, very odd.

C-clip_red.jpg

pics !

I think the spacer takes the place of the lift pedal on the 500, but I am not sure.

I must be tromping on the break pedal too hard or something. I tapped the shaft back over, cleaned the paint out of the groove and put the clip back on. If it falls off again I will drill/tap the end of the shaft and get a nice bolt and washer.... it just seemed strange that I know of two mowers this happened to in the first or second mow.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
The circlip in the picture can be force out if the lift harm of that side is not lubricated properly, the shaft in the middle turn every time when you apply the brake.

It is also possible that is the wrong circlip, I find the clip thick and too much "open"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for looking at it, I will wait and see how it acts with a clean groove and seated clip.

I just cut granny's grass with her 1970something JD 111, yea, still a weekly cutter...

now i am crippled up in the garage (from driving the 111) wondering why i don't trailer my 530 over to granny's. Man, I love my 530!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I noticed that too, I thought it was spread a bit. I allready had a plan to grab a couple of different sizes at the dealer on my way home tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
JD parts must spec the correct one.
What do you use the brake for that you stomp on it ??
I just use it to start the engine and set the parking brake :dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, i only use it to start and park also. It was only a term of endearment, that maybe i was creating excessive lateral force on the brake side of the shaft...

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
You were right in your earlier post, it takes the place of the cast iron lift pedal on the X500. I'm guessing that way JD only has to make/stock one shaft for the X300 & X500 machines. Not that it should make a huge difference but the clip on my X500 has the opening near the bottom rather than upside down... When you install the clip do you put a little grease behind it? When I grease the lift pedal on the X500 grease squirts out around the ring... Just wondering if there's no grease, does pushing on the brake create enough friction to pop the ring loose.

·
Banned
32 Posts
The clip can be installed wrong. There is a sharp edge on one side and a rounded off edge on the other side and don't expand the clip too much installing it.

Clean the groove and make sure the clip fits snug with the sharp edge facing away from the tractor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts