My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new X530 with a 48 inch deck. I really like the tractor, however the idle seems too high. I took it back to the dealer and the salesman said it was normal. I told him my old 325 idled way lower and he mentioned something about the emissions. Anyone know if this is in fact normal. If not, how do I set it ...Thanks

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I got a copy of a Kawasaki FH engine Manual which is what the JD itorque is. Kaw says to run the engine at an idle to allow the engine to cool before turning it off after a good work session. Normally on my other mowers that would mean running the engine slightly above idle to supply cool air. My X340 idled pretty high as well and I wondered the same thing. I suspect Kaw sets the idle a little high so it will run fast enough to cool with the lever all the way down. They seem to discourage idling altogether so I strongly suspect I am correct. So I think they are supposed to idle a little high for their so called idling cooling session since most people don't raise the throttle a little to allow the engine to cool a few mins.

But.. If you take the hood and muffler cover off there is a adjustment at the carb to fix that. Just don't tell your dealer

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
If the idle is set a little higher than what you think it should be because of emissions reasons, would discussing how to lower the idle be considered against the forum rules because you would be discussing how to break the law by making your tractor pollute the air beyond the amount allowed by the EPA?

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
... would discussing how to lower the idle be considered against the forum rules because you would be discussing how to break the law by making your tractor pollute the air beyond the amount allowed by the EPA?
I'd guess that polluting the environment is more of a personal ethics choice than a safety/legal issue. For example, I doubt you could be sued for lowering your idle. It's the safety over-ride discussion that gets folks attention on the forum for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If the idle is set a little higher than what you think it should be because of emissions reasons, would discussing how to lower the idle be considered against the forum rules because you would be discussing how to break the law by making your tractor pollute the air beyond the amount allowed by the EPA?
I think there are far worse things in this world to worry about than a person making a personal choice of how fast they want their engine to idle. Cows can't even poop in the pasture nowadays without polluting the air :00000060:

·
Registered
963 Posts
My X530 idles higher after I've mowed. But if I don't work it hard, it'll idle nice and low. Seems like it is likely related to engine temp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts