My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to build my own sleeve hitch for a x520. I will be adding an Actuator. The hitch will have the mounting points for the Actuator that I will add at a later date. My question is, are there different length Actuator? I am asking because the hitch will not have the actuator until a couple of months after I have the hitch built. I dont want to design the distance and mount points into the hitch now and then later the actuator end up to long or to short to mount on the hitch. So the actuator mount points and the distance between theses points will be designed into the sleeve hitch before actual getting the actuator. I guess I need to know what are the min and/or max distance in the actuator mount points. Also is there anything I may need to be aware of that I may need to know prior to the final building of the hitch?
What is the recommended height of a sleeve hitch from the ground?

This is not my design but I am using this and many other pictures of sleeve hitch. The picture is used for the question I am asking about the distance in the mount points.
Thanks L Decker for the email replies and pictures of his sleeve hitch

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
tbolt2000,

To answer your question, yes there are different length actuators available. For me the most important factors I would look for are the lift/down force capacity of the actuator, speed, reliability, and the strength and quality of the material its made out of. I say take a cue from some of those that are manufacturing attachments and accessories for the GT industry. Can't go wrong with those that have been tested and proven in industry. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the one that Johnny Products. I see that they have Warner one with a 4" stroke and one with a 6" stroke could some one tell me opinions on which would be better the 4" or 6" stroke?

When designing the SH for a actuator would I need to place the mounting points the distance of the actuator retracted, extended, or the middle of the stroke distance?
I am thinking the middle distance of a 6" stroke actuator so I could use it for down force and lift, giving me 3" down force and 3" lift.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
tbolt2000,

I thought I would post a few pics to help out in your build. Now as previously stated, I use a winch to lift and lower my sleeve hitch (modified MTD), so I have no down force other than the weight of the implement or what other additional weight that I may add. You will have to pardon its rough appearance, before I got a welder all projects had to be bolted together. :050:

If you look at the pics (raised, middle, lowered) in the raised position, the top edge of the sleeve hitch sits just slightly more than 17" above the ground and in the lowered position the top edge sits right at about 6.5" above the ground. With approximately 10.5" of travel, from lowest to highest position, I have more than enough travel to allow for adequate ground penetration and ground clearance under the longest of my implements (brinly mold board plow).

Hope this give you some ideas for designing your sleeve hitch and the actuator's travel.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts