My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 2009 X500 with 54 inch deck and 135 hours. The asking price is $3,800. I will be mowing 2 acres, maybe adding a snow blower and box blade in the future. I have been looking at a new Husqvarna GT48XLS, but not sure if the husky will last as long as a JD. Need a little help deciding wich GT would be better in the long run. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
As long as You take Care of it anything will last. Well There Capabilities are about the same except In some areas such as Implements and transmissions the X500 has a Tuff-Torq K72 Trans which the GT48XLS has a K66 which You usually find In most entry level Garden tractors. Husqvarna Has come a long way since Electrolux spun it off to it's own company again in 2006 In recent Years Tuff-Torq has started Making the K66 in a sealed transmission option weather or not that is the set up for the Husqvarna K66 Model I'm unsure But the K72 in the X500 allows You to change transmission fluid without Having to remove the trans from the Machine and that could be the same for the K66 in the GT48XLS or it could be a sealed K66. The think I don't Care for with the GT48XLS is Multiple Handles on Blades and Blowers with the X500 You have a foot Pedal spring assist and a Handle for angling the Blade or Blower chute and You even Have a electric lift Kit for the Blade or Blower with the X500. Now starting this year though Husqvarna does have a 50inch Blower with a on board the blower electric lift system which I believe is a Cable/winch set up. The Nice thing Husqvarna also has going for it is a electric lift kit for the sleeve Hitch. Where the X500 uses a Manual lift Integral hitch(Sleeve Hitch) But there are some nice aftermarket electric lift sleeve Hitches that will also fit on the X500. Now the GT48XLS new is going for $400 less than that X500 is going at used. Myself I would say to seriously consider going with the Deere Based on it's frame design and Transmission. Husqvarna has made great strides in the last 7 years From the under $3,500 market it is Probably the Best GT you can buy Next to the Cub Cadet 2000 series which MTD still has Not Made a sleeve Hitch for and they classify the 2000 series as a Garden tractor But Johnny Bucket does make a aftermarket electric lift sleeve hitch that will fit on the Cub Cadet 2000 series. But Back on topic. I think you’ll be Happier In the Long run with the X500. The X500 series is a rather rugged Garden tractor. But both are capable of doing what you want to use them for:thThumbsU

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
I've never looked at a Husqvarna other than in the stores so I can't comment on how it is built. The Deere is built strong and I have had no issues with my X500. I fully expect it to last 20 years of mowing, pushing a snow blade and running a tiller a couple times per year. I doubt that you will be disappointed with one for what you described.

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
I don't believe you can go wrong with the Deere.
I certainly love my new to me 540.
:fing32:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Do you want a Swedish tractor or a American tractor?? I say...:greendr:

Ok jokes aside, they both will do the job. Just decide which one will put the biggest smile on your face and keep it there. Of course JD has a long pedigree of tuff ness and durability. My dad only owned 2 mowers in my lifetime. A JD 116 for 19 years that only stopped because it burned in a barn fire, and a GT235 that is in its 13th mowing season taking care of a 4 acre yard.

I say go for the X500. You will probably grow old and tired before it will :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
First of all, welcome to MTF. On the asking price, I think it is very reasonable. I may be biased also, but I would choose the X500 too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The X500 is certainly worth $3800. I've got 180 hours on my 2011 and I have never had a second thought or a regret about getting it. JD sells a lot of X500's because they are at that magic price point of $5k. If you don't need hydraulics, it is the way to go. You'll likely find it easier finding parts and attachments for the JD over the Husky.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

Which is better in the long run? That's easy! The X500 of course! It will last a long, long time and have better resale value in the future than the Husky ever will.

Don't sell yourself short over a few hundred bucks. Get the X500, and you will not be sorry. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
Do you want a Swedish tractor or a American tractor?? I say...:greendr:
Joke doesn't work It's an American Made tractor for all intense Purposes it a Modern version of a Roper Most of the Husqvarna Factories are in the United States or North America:thThumbsU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SOLD. I went with the X500. The Green Machine will be delivered today. The X500 is a beast. The superior frame, heavy duty transaxle, and 24x12 rear tires make this mower hard to beat. Thanks for eveyones advice. I will post some pics soon.:Tractor2:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good choice. It only took me like 5 tractors to get where you are ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you got a good deal. I paid $5194 in 2011 for a new X500 from the dealer and never looked back. Took me two tractors to get here... One was a JD lite from Home Depot that held up for 8 years, but the tranny just cant hold a match to the X500 - a beast!

Enjoy!

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Congrats...
Enjoy the new toy.
Great choice. :thumbup:

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like a good price. You won't be sorry (until you decide you want hydraulics...) :hide:

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Enjoy the X500! I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
Good choice!! Congrats!! You will love it. Don't forget........
:wwp::wwp::wwp::wwp:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm a little late getting in on this, but I think you made the right choice! The 2 machines in question were similar, however to me, where it counts in a GT is the Transaxel! The X500 with the K72 is no doubt superior to that of the K66 found in the Husqvarna GT48XLS. You can have all the HP in the world, but if your transaxel sucks all that power isn't good for much. That doesn't mean to say the K66 sucks at all, just the K72 is in a class above no doubt! Now my machine the GTH27V48LS has the Hydro Gear G730 which is a lot closer in comparison with the K 72 so that would have been a tougher choice, especially with the money being so close. But the choice you had to me was a no brainer! Have fun with it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts