My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of wheel weights for my X500 today and put em on and currious if anyone else has had the problems I had with installing them(thankfully they never need to come off).

First was the instructions only listed the lengths for 23x10.50 and 26x12 tire, so i had to figure the length out by trial and error.

second was, why in god's green earth do they need to put 4 holes in the rim to mount the bolts. I did it on both wheels and got the bolts in the wrong holes!.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,540 Posts
I use four bolts from the hardware store (not the ones provided) that have the square part on the head that lines up perfectly with the square holes in the rim. Insert those from behind the wheel, slide the weight in place, and then secure the weight with a washer and nut on each of the bolts. Second season doing it that way and it seems to work ok.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use four bolts from the hardware store (not the ones provided) that have the square part on the head that lines up perfectly with the square holes in the rim. Insert those from behind the wheel, slide the weight in place, and then secure the weight with a washer and nut on each of the bolts. Second season doing it that way and it seems to work ok.

If I ever have to take them back off(don't see why i will) i'll be doing that, I need some weight for mowing so the suitcase's will come off in the spring but the wheel weights will stay on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
:ditto:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
They use four holes in the rim so you can double up the weight's if desired only two bolt's on each wheel are needed for single weight then longer bolts for the two empty holes to bolt on a second set. The carrige bolt's are ok but a lot I see being used are too long I would end up ripping the leg on every pair of pant's I own. I just use reg. bolt's with the nut and washer on the inside. BILL

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,540 Posts
I went with the carriage bolts because the included bolts (threaded rods) were too long...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I went with the carriage bolts because the included bolts (threaded rods) were too long...
Did not know Deere had gone with threaded rod I guess this is there universal solution for different size tires, different off set,etc. On the old tractor's there was a chart in the manual for bolt's for the weight's covering different size tire's and which way you had them on the wide or narrow it made it easy to get the correct size bolt's.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
:ditto: They come in .5" size increments, so if it really sticks out you got the wrong size.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,540 Posts
There was a chart in the box for different tractors, but none of the X Series tractors were listed and there were only one set of the threaded rods in the box. If it was a one time install then I might have just put the extra rod inside the wheel but I went with the carriage bolts instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.