My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these two comparable? I know I am in the JD forum thus sounds like a rhetorical question.....

your 2 cents please.....

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Can you put up some specs of the 2 machines?

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
2100 has 23 HP Kohler Command twin with shaft driven transmission and electric lift. I haven't actually looked at the Cubs, but other than the shaft drive and electric lift all the other pluses seem to favor the X500 (bigger wheels, faster speed, etc). Go drive both, check out how they are made and see which one is more comfortable to operate. Oh, I see the Cub is on sale for $3600... http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/gt-2100

·
blinged out
1,348 Posts
I don't see any spec. that says the 2100 has posi-traction, if it doesn't have that it's just a lawn mower,not near what an x500 can do!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Cub cadets are a great machine. Had one from 1995. Never 1 issue. I'd say comparable to the 500 series.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The shaft drive on this series CC is a marketing gimmick.

It only takes 20% of the engine's power to drive the machine, but 80% to run the deck. Thus, you want that deck drive to be optimal, and the short, straight, flat belt drive an X500 uses is it. CC uses a long, twisted mule drive JD abandoned 20 years ago.

And CC resale or trade is far less than JD. Their electric power steering is vague and weird too.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your input.....I never thought about resale value. JD sounds like a winner then..:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Another thing about the cub 2100. That big cast iron rear end they brag about has made in china stamped on the front side where the customer can't see it. Big turn off for me. Other than that they look like a good sturdy tractor. I sat on one awhile back at a dealer and it was a really nice machine. And it's the cheapest tractor you can buy NEW and get a shaft drive.

If money isn't a factor I would take the John Deere all day long. The cub is alot of tractor for the price though

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
X500 is a nice machine, we sell a lot of them where I work. Bigger price tag, but you get what you pay for. Diff lock is nice too. Also, hard to beat a Kawasaki.

·
motorcycle cowboy
871 Posts
2100 has 23 HP Kohler Command twin with shaft driven transmission and electric lift. I haven't actually looked at the Cubs, but other than the shaft drive and electric lift all the other pluses seem to favor the X500 (bigger wheels, faster speed, etc). Go drive both, check out how they are made and see which one is more comfortable to operate. Oh, I see the Cub is on sale for $3600... http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/gt-2100
That's $3600 without a deck. Couldn't find the price for a mower
deck.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well not a "true" apples to apples comparision but Dad has a Cub 1042 and I have a JD x300r we both have around the same hrs on our machines,,,,, his has needed all the belts replaced, the engine smokes like a train, the mower blades were replaced,, and he has needed a few other small parts replaced,,, the JD has just needed regular maint to this point,,,, I dont hear how I "wasted" my money anymore..... I looked at the Cub 2000 series and my conclusion was Cub was near enough pricewise to the x500 Id go with the JD I personally didnt think it was comparable to an x5 and that China stamped into the rear axle housing didnt make me feel any better

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My experience is from an older Cub from 1995 with a kohler command engine and the transmission was aluminum. I never had one issue in 16 years and was built like a brick. My friend know ownes it and cuts his 1.5 acre lot with it and has 600+ hours on it and says the unit runs perfectly. This cub also serves as a snowblower with the 45 inch blower attached in the winter. I think today's cub's with the courage engine lineup might not be what they once were. I don't buy china motors

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a 2544, which is the previous version of the 2000/2100 series Cubs. It was a tank, and was far and away the best tractor for the money. The Kohler Command was a great engine, but louder than the Kawa's. The 44" deck was good, heavy duty, but weighed a ton and didn't have pivoting wheels. The steering was a little sloppy after 6 years.

I now have a X530, and I prefer it in all aspects except one: the Cub was a much better snow plowing machine, even without diff lock. I've plowed with both now, and both had ags and chains. I've never got the Cub stuck, even in snow drifts up to the headlights. But the JD got stuck twice this past winter with about 20" of snow, and the diff lock made no difference. The problem is in the way the plows are mounted: the cub plow is much closer to the front of the tractor and can lift higher.

But even with this I still prefer the JD. It is built better, is quieter, is better on fuel, is larger yet just as maneuverable, and just has more attention to detail. For instance, the hitch plate is much thicker on the JD. I've towed my camper with both tractors, and with the Cub you can see the hitch plate bend down under load. Always made me nervous that if I hit a bump I would stress the hitch plate too much and it would be permanently bent. Another nice detail is that the rear of the X530 has special slots that are designed to receive a chain. This is handy when pulling shrubs and means I don't have to rely on the hitch plate for pulling.

Maintenance is also easier on the JD. The oil drain extends out past the frame and has a valve on the end. Below the oil filter is a lip that makes sure the oil drips down through an opening in the frame, rather than onto the frame. Service intervals are generally greater on the JD than the Cub. Basically every 50 hours you grease the zerks, change oil and filters. The Cub wanted the deck, steering and wheels greased every 10 hours.

One thing that really surprised me was how much LESS mowing debris you get in the engine compartment with the JD's "vertical" engine vs. the Cubs "horizontal" engine. This may not be an issue any more because Cub has since changed the hood design significantly from the version I had, but is something to keep in mind.

Keep in mind that the new Cubs use the same frame, rear end and engines that mine did. So they are solid and proven. The other stuff may have changed since my tractor was made, so my comments may not be relevant to the new ones.

·
Registered
111 Posts
One of the most important factors when choosing a tractor is the transmission. Anyone know what the CC uses?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts