My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I completely agree @UpstateTony - but there would be a market as we see time and again people who want just a bit more than the X500’s but don’t want the X700’s size and price - especially when one can get into a 1-series for the same. That said, would that market be enough to sustain the development and ROI? Someone decided the answer was “no.”

My point - and it’s silly, really - is that no matter what “intentions” were, we didn’t get a true GX300 successor. Are the upper X500’s as a capable (or better after 15 years) than the GX300’s? Sure. Does that mean they are the current generation of GX300’s? No.

The 2005 GX300’s were the last of a dedicated premium GT platform from JD. The 2004/2005 GX255 foreshadowed what to expect from JD as the top trim in their future LGT platforms.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Well You Can believe what You want But Basically Deere combined the GT & GX300 series to streamilne the Line Meaning all there is ais a Premium Belt driven Garden tractor Line
A successor for the GX300’s would have been a “X600”. The X300/X500 share a L&G frame. LX200/GT200/GX255 - shared a L&G frame. It doesn’t matter what parts of a past generations of any line are utilized on new gens of any line - LT, LGT, GT, HDGT - that’s normal in manufacturing in every single facet of production for the things we use.

It’s VERY clear from the picture I posted between the frames that there would have absolutely been a difference in frames between the X300/X500 and “X600” had there been a successor to the GX300’s. The GX255 was absolutely a precursor to the X540 regardless of not having LC or hydro lift - machines don’t have to have the same exact ”bolt ons” to be considered next-gen. K71C and PS was a significant upgrade for the L&G platform. It only makes sense that the next gen “top-of-the-line” model would improve on that - otherwise, why would anyone upgrade and/or why would manufacturers continue to add features?!

Again, designers must work within the confines of their resources. Accountants said there is no longer a business case to continue a dedicated premium GT line to slot between the L&G and HDGT lines. It’s that simple. The X300/X500 platforms we’re going to have significant improvements over their precursor L&GT’s, and with the GX255 as an example, it was determined that type of trim on a L&G platform would be sufficient for the new generation of residential tractors for 2006 (and if people wanted more, they were forced to make a significant financial and utility jump into the HDGT X700’s).

I am confident that had there been money allocated for it, a ”X600” GX successor would have been made to continue the premium GT line.
Well You Can believe what you want But Basically Deere combined the GT200 & GX300 series to streamline the Line Meaning all there is! Is a Premium Belt driven Garden tractor Line. The Frame design shown below is a similar design to the GX300 series design. There is actually more steel In the X500 series frame Than in the Previous GX300 or GT200 series frames . The Biggest Upgrade for the X500 series was The Hydraulically lifted Integral Hitch. The GX300 & GT 200 only utilized the same Manual lift Integral Hitch which The X500 series still utilizes today.

240, 260, 265, 285 were considered By Deere to be the Next 200 series Generation of Garden tractor replacing the Previous 200, 208, 210, 212, 214 & 216 They do not share any of the same Mounted attachmnets Btw the Frame design for the 240 thru 285 was almost the same Frame the GX300 series would use. The GT ine of Garden tractor was Intruduced as a Price Point Garden Tractor with the Introduction of the GT242 & GT262 The GT series was never a replacement for the 200 series Tractor The 325 thru the 355 was the replacement for what is considered the second Generation of the 200 series Line GT Line was always considered a entry Market Line But when Deere Purchased Homelite They Inherited two new Factories So they decided to Make a Non Labeled Sabre Brand as a Box store Brand That was supposed to be Deere lite Orginally But a designer came up with Sabre Instead. The GT Line was Originally based On the LX100 series Frame Not the other way around. AS the GT242 & GT262 and eventual GT275 Came after the Introduction of the LX100 series Line Deere decided to Just Incorperate the 200 series & the 320 into a Newere Belt driven 300 series that became the 325 thru 355 the second generation of the 300 series ie 316, 318 ,322, 330 & 332 had already been Incorperated Into the 400 series That was the true reason Behind the 425 Keeping 23X10.50 Tires. Most think the 320 was to replace the Previous 300 series But That was not the Case The 320 was basically a 285 with Hydraulic lift so the 200 series eveloved into the 325 thru GX355. Again This was all done to streamline the lines The 316 thru 332 Basically could do what all the 420 & 430's could do But they didn't Have diff/lock Deere thought that they didn't need two Lines that basically could do the same thing So that is why the 425 thru 455 was Introduced One of the commen request's Deere Got On the 316 thru 332 was Diff/lock Again that was a commen request for the GT Line They Introduced the GX255 as a stop Gap Model as the X500 series was still In development They Added the GX as really just a decal Change and some HP twiking and to fit with the Introduction of the X400 & X500 series In order to Have lettering In tront of the 300 series. Diff/lock was added to the GX300 series as also a stop Gap Measure Until the new series could be Introduced It was also to compete against Simplicites New Conquest & Prestige which came standard with Diff/lock and still do
200 series 001.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-29 John Deere Parts Catalog.png
Screenshot_2020-01-29 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png

·
Registered
548 Posts
You seem to feel that because a newer model has upgrades makes it more in line with a previous generation of a separate line. That’s not how it works. The shared platform for lawn and garden tractors is just that - a shared platform. The GX300’s didn’t share their platform. The current X3/X5 shares platforms, and they’ve improved over the years compared to previous models. There is no dedicated GT platform and therefor no current generation GX300-series.

Half ton trucks are built stronger than HD trucks from 10-20 years ago, but no one is saying half tons are the next gen of previous HD trucks - they’re just improved from their previous generation.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
You seem to feel that because a newer model has upgrades makes it more in line with a previous generation of a separate line. That’s not how it works. The shared platform for lawn and garden tractors is just that - a shared platform. The GX300’s didn’t share their platform. The current X3/X5 shares platforms, and they’ve improved over the years compared to previous models. There is no dedicated GT platform and therefor no current generation GX300-series.

Half ton trucks are built stronger than HD trucks from 10-20 years ago, but no one is saying half tons are the next gen of previous HD trucks - they’re just improved from their previous generation.
Well Your Entitled to your Opinion !
But I'll take the word of a Deere engineer who says it is a direct replacement for both the GT200 series & the GX300 series they should know because they helped design the X500 series and that is there opinion. So I will treat there opinion as fact because it's straight from the Deere's mouth:)
And at this point we have monopolized this thread and taken it to far off the subject so at this point it time To help the OP and not monopolized his thread anymore

·
Registered
548 Posts
I found the history lesson interesting, so thanks for that. All the model number changes are confusing.
That’s why I continued the conversation - it was relevant even with differing points of view. It was especially poignant because the OP was considering between a top-level GX300 vs an entry-level X500, and the dissertations and dissemination thoroughly explained the evolution.

·
blinged out
1,126 Posts
dissertations/disemination I kind of looked like the dog does when he's thinking, headed tilted! I'm going to try these on some friends and watch the reaction! I have a lot of italian friends they'll proabably poor me an espresso and load a plate with some!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys I have a question not related to this post. Has anyone seen the new OEM John Deere new oil filter design AM125424 ? The internals have changed and where it use to have a thick metal where it screws in it has a cheap thin piece of metal and the pressure relief is at the bottom and the filter has a internal plastic cage. I clled JD and they confirmed the change.

Attachments

41 - 48 of 48 Posts